Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 xcr 800 2/xcr800 2000
1,251 Posts
hold on might be wrong look at the cyl head stamp to see if it casted 597 forgot the sticker says 580 but it could be a 597

·
Registered
43,588 Posts
The decal says its a 580, but the pinkish water cover denotes its a 600, unless someone has replaced it from a 600. I guess you can always pull a head and see what pistons are in it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I thought all the 600s had pink cover also ....my Dad owned both and the 580 was black. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
131 Posts
The EC58... number is the part number and doesn't mean its actually a 580. All mono block xlt engines say that on the recoil, Polaris didnt want to mess with the part number once they went from 580 to 597cc's. Assuming its got the original head cover and carbs, its a 597. No 580 came with a pink cover or 38mm carbs. The 597 could have had a pink, purple, or black head depending on the year and the sled it came in. There should be a plate on the front exhaust side with the engine info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The decal says its a 580, but the pinkish water cover denotes its a 600, unless someone has replaced it from a 600. I guess you can always pull a head and see what pistons are in it.
the decal doesnt say its a 580, thats just the part number. If its original, its a 96 engine but most people will swap a recoil over actually rebuilding one so i never hold much weight on the recoil sticker.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
originally, 580's were purple or bare aluminum. 597's were pink, purple or black. super easy to change or paint them though.
Bare aluminum on this one indeed. Couldnt remember exactly on 580 I was what about 7 years old I think. I remember that Pink 600 tho😄

·
Registered
43,588 Posts
originally, 580's were purple or bare aluminum. 597's were pink, purple or black. super easy to change or paint them though.
Every 580 i've seen was bare aluminum or purple. As far as the 597s they were either pink for the high port 38mm engine, or purple for the low port 34mm carb ending Never came across a black one here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Every 580 i've seen was bare aluminum or purple. As far as the 597s they were either pink for the high port 38mm engine, or purple for the low port 34mm carb ending Never came across a black one here.
Black would have been the later years. The 99 i parted out recently was black along with the indy triumph. Different name obviously but still an xlt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A pink cover engine came out.
A pink cover engine went in.
Im using the 38mm carbs off the original motor. I think it might b ok?
Thx for the advice!

·
Registered
131 Posts
A pink cover engine came out.
A pink cover engine went in.
Im using the 38mm carbs off the original motor. I think it might b ok?
Thx for the advice!
you should be fine. just double check your jetting once its running. There were minor differences in the jetting year to year. Like i said above there should be a sticker right on the front of the case that will tell you exactly what it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts