Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how the trails are holding up? is the traffic that bad for news years weekend? i am heading up tommorrow morning and comming home tuesday night.

·
Registered
251 Posts
not sure on the conditions, but I'd go up while you can now. Looks like a big warm up coming again for the end of the week. I hope it's wrong, doesn't look good right now.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
My parents live in St Germain and when I talked to them the other day on the phone they said the trails were, in my mother's own words, "rough as hell" and "like a washboard".
Id expect as much. New Year's is usually pretty crazy and the trails take a beating.
I had planned on going back up to Minocqua from January 10th-14th but if they get that big warmup and dont get more snow, I might not go. No sense in burning $100 of gas in the truck, wasting 2 days of vacation and racking up 500+ miles just to sit around my parents' house in St Germain.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got back from the Minocqua area after spending a week. We put on 400 miles before my sled broke down. It is true that the trails were rough as hell for the most part but in the mornings after they were groomed overnight, they were beautiful again. There was definitly not a lack of snow. Every area that we rode had between 12-15" of snow with a solid 5" base of hard pack.

As soon as all of the traffic goes home, I believe there will be some great riding for this weekend. (If the 40 degree temps and the rain dont hit)

If I can get my sled fixed, I will see you there!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
St. Germain must have had 200+ sleds in town. Hopefully trails are much better in the woods but anything within a 10+ mile radius of town is rough and thin. With the number of sleds we had the little bit of snow took a beating. We really need 5 inches + to get them back in shape. IF you go to some out of the way spot you may be ok.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was good going east of phelps, then we went up to sidnaw and kenton mi. plenty of snow, flat trails, and no one was on the trails.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
it was good going east of phelps, then we went up to sidnaw and kenton mi. plenty of snow, flat trails, and no one was on the trails.[/b]
That is always a great ride when its busy.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Trails were great other than saturday afternoon. Saturday was the worst out of the week I was there.

Coming from Lake tom, going towards St.germain, on the old section of hwy 70.

[attachment=407605:ericpic025.jpg]

Over by Arbor Vitae, Just after you cross Hwy 70.
[attachment=407607:112_1244.JPG]

·
Registered
252 Posts
hi from white pine
i ran groomer last night all trails are in great condition in our area
lake of the clouds,south boundry and silver city are the best i have seen in years
we are to get up to 36-38 this weekend but they pulled the rain out of the forcast thank the lord
sled fest should be putting a bit of pressure on trails in and around ironwood but we have a great base so i bet they will be ok
the boonedocking has been great in the higer elevations on sunday i was in 4 1/2 feet of virgin powder and am still grinning

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi from white pine
i ran groomer last night all trails are in great condition in our area
lake of the clouds,south boundry and silver city are the best i have seen in years
we are to get up to 36-38 this weekend but they pulled the rain out of the forcast thank the lord
sled fest should be putting a bit of pressure on trails in and around ironwood but we have a great base so i bet they will be ok
the boonedocking has been great in the higer elevations on sunday i was in 4 1/2 feet of virgin powder and am still grinning[/b]

He speaks the truth....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts