Hardcore Sledder banner

Houghton Lake Conditions

2K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  PaPaTBJ 
#1 ·
Things are pretty good!

#3 ·
I would have to agree with Paul....four of us rode down to Elbow Lake and back yesterday afternoon we ran into a ton of traffic but the trails were holding up really good. A few corners were getting bad but all in all pretty good. The lake was really good also....lots of sleds out on the lake yesterday. It was a really nice day to be out riding yesterday.

I really hope it stays....

:smiley-faces7:

:brr:

#7 ·
Looks good!! Lets hope it stays this time. Is there any off-trail around there??[/b]
That picture is from where we had just gotten back on trail. :yes:

The man knows his way around The Hought, not to mention that we are off trail junkie's,
so if off trail is what your looking for you've come to the right place. :thumbsup:

All in all the trails are not really bad. That pic was taken on the 6/7 trail just south
of Reedsburgh Dam. The swamp is open just north of the dam. The $$ I just spent
washing all the mud out of my front suspension proves it. :wall:

Tons, tons, tons, tons, tons, of traffic yesterday around there. It wasn't even that busy
the last two years during Tip Up Town. :Wow1: :thumbsup: to the H.L. club for all they
do. Grooming the trails WITHOUT snow really does have it's benifits and it shows. :yes:
We never did get north of the lake but Sled Solutions did and says it was really good as
well, that way. The lake is pretty nice also. The base is all ice so be prepared in those
corners!! Hope it sticks and stays for The Assult On Houghton Lake 3. :beer_cheers:

Going back up on Tuesday with my father. Need to ride more. :wall:

#8 ·

The man knows his way around The Hought, not to mention that we are off trail junkie's,
so if off trail is what your looking for you've come to the right place. :thumbsup:

All in all the trails are not really bad. That pic was taken on the 6/7 trail just south

Tons, tons, tons, tons, tons, of traffic yesterday around there. It wasn't even that busy
the last two years during Tip Up Town. :Wow1: :thumbsup: to the H.L. club for all they
do. Grooming the trails WITHOUT snow really does have it's benifits and it shows. :yes:
We never did get north of the lake but Sled Solutions did and says it was really good as
well, that way. The lake is pretty nice also. The base is all ice so be prepared in those
corners!! Hope it sticks and stays for The Assult On Houghton Lake 3. :beer_cheers:

Going back up on Tuesday with my father. Need to ride more. :wall:Good thing everyone got in some nice riding this weekend cause next week is supposed to get real warm, like mid 40's. Should still be rideable this coming weekend, but by Sunday it will probably be a mess.[/b]

#10 ·
Off trail riding was exceptional around Houghton/Higgins this past weekend. Sunday was a ZOO..Never had my hand up so much on the trails. We finally jumped off and putzed in the woods. . Kids like getting stuck and digging out anyway..... My son took a stump through the belly pan. Nice!

Glad to hear no one got hurt this weekend (yet).

One last thing...Will Higgins Lake PLEASE FREEZE !!!!!!!!!!!! GEEZ come on already.......what a pain in the ass it is getting to the trail from the SE corner of Higgins... Sorry my 2 cents....

#13 ·
Yeah gee thanks asshat. Spankey and I were cruising around inside of Spicers at the same time. :lol:[/b]
LMAO so were we - berry was buying a new turtle fur and i was trying my hardest NOT to buy the leftover F1000 snopro... lol and as it turns out, i'm probably looking for a new sled now anyways

#15 ·
Me and my dad are planning on heading up there tomorrow to visit a friend that has a cabin on the lake. Ive never ridden the area, last year we were in Cadillac. I am pretty pumped. Lucky we are going, I have been very sick the last two days but went to the ER last night and got a shot. So i should be good to go. Glad to hear the trails are good!

#19 ·
Off trail riding was exceptional around Houghton/Higgins this past weekend. Sunday was a ZOO..Never had my hand up so much on the trails. We finally jumped off and putzed in the woods. . Kids like getting stuck and digging out anyway..... My son took a stump through the belly pan. Nice!

Glad to hear no one got hurt this weekend (yet).

One last thing...Will Higgins Lake PLEASE FREEZE !!!!!!!!!!!! GEEZ come on already.......what a pain in the ass it is getting to the trail from the SE corner of Higgins... Sorry my 2 cents....[/b]
There were a ton of people out on Sunday. My buddy and I headed back around 11:30 am and headed up to Gaylord for the sno cross. It was sweet, a friend races the Pro 600 Stock and Mod and it was great. I love the smell of the pits, all that race gas.

Higgins is a spring fed lake and the water turns over very quickly, thats why its so clear. Its also deep in a lot of areas I think? Soon enough though.

LMAO so were we - berry was buying a new turtle fur and i was trying my hardest NOT to buy the leftover F1000 snopro... lol and as it turns out, i'm probably looking for a new sled now anyways[/b]
I was trying to convince my buddy to come home with that thing!! Nice ride for that price. Too much sled for me.

I rode Saturday and Sunday and this morning. This morning was great. I went out solo because my buddy was too hung over. I left from Lake James and picked up 6 west at the power lines to 655 and 654 and just had a blast back there. I was the first out on #6 and the groomer did such a nice job. I almost smacked a deer doing about 70 mph on 6, ouch! I wish I would have had internet up there because it would have been fun to meet up with some of you HCSers for a rip.

Any local Shelby TWP or Macomb people want to do a local ride tomorrow in the fresh stuff? Just have to stay away from the cop shop 1/4 mile away from my house! Have a good New Years everyone.

#20 ·

Going back up on Tuesday with my father. Need to ride more. :wall:[/b]
When is the father son trip Nick?

#21 ·
We had a great long weekend.....shorter then it was suppose to be but because we drove up in nasty conditions and Mrs.SS didn't want to duplicate it by coming home on New Years so here I sit in my living room. :getlost:

We put a couple hundred miles on..... 15 of it was trail riding. What we did see of the trails they held up well on Saturday but by Sunday afternoon they were looking very snirty. Off trail was great since we cut first tracks on 50% of the trails we rode all the way up into Camp Grayling. Found some new stuff that will come in handy later this season.

I guess the highlight of the weekend was introducing some of the people I care the most about to this awesome sport. My middle daughter, son and godson learned how to ride the Kitty Kat and the 120. :thumbsup:

They ran three tanks of gas through each sled and at one point I had to syfon gas out of my buddies sled so they could ride more. :yelrotflmao:

Like I said the trails are still rideable if you can live with snirt. Groomers were out in full force grooming the west loop and north towards Grayling.

Hope everyone has a happy new year!!

The new addicts!

[attachment=406889:H.L.New_...rs_2__4_.JPG]

[attachment=406890:pC300005.JPG]

[attachment=406901:H.L.New_...rs_2__3_.JPG]

Friday Night
[attachment=406872:H.L._New...ars2_007.JPG]

[attachment=406873:H.L._New...ars2_006.JPG]

Saturday Afternoon

[attachment=406877:H.L._New...ars2_019.JPG]

[attachment=406892:H.L._New...ars2_020.JPG]

Saturday Night we hooked up with Spankey and SayatodaU.P.eh?

[attachment=406882:H.L.New_...s_2__15_.JPG]

[attachment=406883:H.L._New...ars2_027.JPG]

Sundays Ride

[attachment=406885:pC300002.JPG]

[attachment=406891:H.L.New_...rs_2__9_.JPG]

#24 ·
We had a great long weekend.....shorter then it was suppose to be but because we drove up in nasty conditions and Mrs.SS didn't want to duplicate it by coming home on New Years so here I sit in my living room. :getlost:

We put a couple hundred miles on..... 15 of it was trail riding. What we did see of the trails they held up well on Saturday but by Sunday afternoon they were looking very snirty. Off trail was great since we cut first tracks on 50% of the trails we rode all the way up into Camp Grayling. Found some new stuff that will come in handy later this season.

I guess the highlight of the weekend was introducing some of the people I care the most about to this awesome sport. My middle daughter, son and godson learned how to ride the Kitty Kat and the 120. :thumbsup:

They ran three tanks of gas through each sled and at one point I had to syfon gas out of my buddies sled so they could ride more. :yelrotflmao:

Like I said the trails are still rideable if you can live with snirt. Groomers were out in full force grooming the west loop and north towards Grayling.

Hope everyone has a happy new year!!

The new addicts!

[attachment=406889:H.L.New_...rs_2__4_.JPG]

[attachment=406890:pC300005.JPG]

[attachment=406901:H.L.New_...rs_2__3_.JPG]

Friday Night
[attachment=406872:H.L._New...ars2_007.JPG]

[attachment=406873:H.L._New...ars2_006.JPG]

Saturday Afternoon

[attachment=406877:H.L._New...ars2_019.JPG]

[attachment=406892:H.L._New...ars2_020.JPG]

Saturday Night we hooked up with Spankey and SayatodaU.P.eh?

[attachment=406882:H.L.New_...s_2__15_.JPG]

[attachment=406883:H.L._New...ars2_027.JPG]

Sundays Ride

[attachment=406885:pC300002.JPG]

[attachment=406891:H.L.New_...rs_2__9_.JPG][/b]

Nice pics. I have a 3 year old son that I hope to have riding next winter.

I hope to get a GPS soon so I can venture off trail without worrying too much. I saw a lot of possibilities while out but when I am solo I don't like to go places I might not be found. I love that Nytro by the way.

#25 ·
Wish I could have stayed for the late night ride..... :wall: but had to keep the promise to the wife to be home at a good time.

Looks like Saya was about to cry in that pic.....hmmmm.....

Next time I will be there!!!!

:beer_cheers:

#26 ·
Nice pics. I have a 3 year old son that I hope to have riding next winter.

I hope to get a GPS soon so I can venture off trail without worrying too much. I saw a lot of possibilities while out but when I am solo I don't like to go places I might not be found. I love that Nytro by the way.[/b]
Once he gets going he'll be addicted. Thanks....it for sale if you know anyone looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.