Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few of my buddies and i are planning a trip to houghton, mi and none of us have ever ridden in the UP. i just had a few questions for those of you who have ridden up there in the past.

first of all, i think we have to have a special trail permit to ride up there right? if so, how much are they and where can we get them.

second, where would be a good place to stay, nothing fancy just a nice place to stay, preferrably close enough to the trails so that we can ride our sleds from the motel to the trails.

also, any other info. would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for creating such a great site with tons of great info.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Was just up there for the first time last week. Yes you need a trail permit. $20.00. There is a Ramada in Hancock. That is where we stayed. You could also check out Camulet.

As far as riding. Go during the week. Like Sunday through Wednesday or Thursday. Trails are easy to access and very well marked. I know I am going back next year. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
best western king's inn, about 1 block off the trail, only ~69/ night. for how much time you spend at the hotel, it's a pretty decent place, free cont. breakfast, hot tub, pool, etc...

·
Registered
745 Posts
*Secret* Best time to ride is at night. They groom until about 11 pm. The trails are awsome once the groomers go by and there isn't any traffic. Call right away for hotels, since alot of trails are closing in WI, everybody and their brother is goin up there. Good luck

·
Registered
614 Posts
America Inn in Silver City. Close to the trails and not far from Gogebic. Don't order the fried chicken...IT SUCKS! Tha almond chicken strips ROCK!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
bv319,the trails around watersmeet are rideable,however the better snow is to the north,but south of Houghton,houghton trails are always very busy and very bumpy,stay out of there.I ride the UP all the time,the trails can be great if your able to get out there midweek,the weekends can be rough at times in higher traffic areas.Try to ride trails that dont have alot of pitstops on them,there usually in the best shape.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Dave Cat 7,
You are dang right franklin square has hot bartenders and front desk girls. I was up there and stayed there the week before christmas. I think is was the best hotel i have stayed at clean and nice people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts