Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions for a nicer hotel in the Bergland and Houghton area with trail access. I'm doing an over- nighter with girlfriend who prefers a nicer place.

Thanks

·
The Meat Man
15,700 Posts
Konteka in White Pine I just got back a few weeks ago it is an awesome place to go.

(906) 885-5170

Reactions: SShooterZ and 6100D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bents Camp in Land O Lakes has nice cabins. Right in the middle of great trails and access to MI and WI trails.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Lake Gogebic Motel, its not the fanciest place to stay but Casey the owner is a super cool guy and he was way more than accommodating when we stayed there 12/1/19.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I second this recommendation. I’m not sure you can beat the Parkview. Food, bar, pool and nice rooms. Probably the only downfall is that it books up fast so not likely to get a room last minute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked it up and this seems perfect. Any idea how far from hotel to Copper Harbor? I'll be riding with my gf who does about 125 mi. max a day.

Hoping to start in St. Germain Wi. to White pines day 1
White pines to copper Harbor and back to White Pines day 2
Back to St. Germain day 3

Thanks a bunch for the help

·
The Meat Man
15,700 Posts
Konteka in White Pine I just got back a few weeks ago it is an awesome place to go.

(906) 885-5170
Konteka in White Pine. :bc:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
First tip for the girlfriend is not to read the daily mileage but focus on the duration. I'm not being silly. You will be on some trails that are old railway beds so you will cover a lot of distance quickly. The effort is considerably less than on a twisty trail.

For example, on day 1 I'm assuming you'll come up through Land O Lakes and then to Watersmeet. You've got two options from there to Bergland but the longer distance might be easier for her. Go east from Watersmeet and then north on trail 3 that is a wide logging road and very easy to ride. Scenic too. Once you reach trail 8, go west to Bergland and this is all on a railway bed, so very easy for her. Trail from Bergland up to White Pine is also a nice easy trail. She should be happy and comfortable when you arrive, which is key.

Day 2 looks long by mileage but it is easy and not as hard as it looks. From Mass City to Houghton is almost all old railway bed. Straight and easy, with a few curves. At Houghton, I would take the lower trail 3 simply because it is easier in that you aren't going across so many streets. Follow 3 all the way to Copper Habor including taking a few snaps at the top. I'd come back the same way. Stop in Park View after Houghton and warm up. It is probably around 180 miles but like I said, it is a lot of old railway bed so it is easy miles.

Might be worth riding to Houghton and stopping at the Ramada Inn for lunch / drink, and whilst inside, asking her how she feels. Once you commit to Copper Harbor, not many places to stop other than just turn around and head back.

Just don't overdue it as day 3 back could be a ball ache for you.

·
The Meat Man
15,700 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked it up and this seems perfect. Any idea how far from hotel to Copper Harbor? I'll be riding with my gf who does about 125 mi. max a day.

Hoping to start in St. Germain Wi. to White pines day 1
White pines to copper Harbor and back to White Pines day 2
Back to St. Germain day 3

Thanks a bunch for the help
:bc:

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Haven’t stayed at Konteka but they have great food. Bergland Bay Bar rents the apartment above the bar. There’s also some nice VRBOs in the area. Scott’s Superior In in Ontonagon is another nice clean spot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This sounds like a well planned out route. I appreciate the detailed suggestions. All my sledding has been done in N.Wi so I'm a babe in the woods as far as U.P.
Thanks again

·
Registered
333 Posts
Talk with her about how long she wants to be out on the sled and try to manage to this. I'm guessing leaving after breakfast and near your final destination at dark. If that is it, then try to manage to that.

You can easily make it from St Germain to White Pines in the daylight. It is day 2 that I would think more about managing. You don't want to switch her off from doing future saddlebag trips as they are so much fun.

Another helpful tip is to make sure that she stays warm. Cold hands or cold feet can be miserable. Stop in places and warm up along the way, which also allows her to use in-door toilets. Little things but they can break it for others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts