Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my ZR 800 out for the first ride this morning...started the morning in the garage with about a gallon of gas from last year that was stablizied..added some new 92 octane...(I filled her up). Was a cold morning...about 10 above...I rode for about a mile and my right EGT gauge was flashing..1100 degrees..(speed was about 20-40 mph) so I pulled the plugs...right side plug was white...check cylinder..was OK... left plug was a good brown color...rode back home at an easy pace...gauges were showing 300-400 on one side and hot on the other...600-900..traveling 15 mph. Went back in the garage..changed plugs..(new ones)..... checked gas lines and gas tank for water looked good???....took another ride about an hour later...went about the same distance...sled started to run rough again...then EGT gauge started to flash again...this time it was my other cylinder that was hot..the left side...stopped again...pulled plugs ...plug was white..other was brown. QUESTION>>>am I getting ice in my carbs...my dealer informed me to drain gas all out and add new gas with some fuel additive...stated I might of had some water in the old fuel...or filled up with some fuel that had water in it.....any takers here for some help..or info. A should also mention take I have a power breather intake and left the cold weather cap covers off this morning....I never had this problem before...also sled was service two weeks ago..

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Sounds like water in your gas to me also...had the same problem with my ZRT600 this year..pilot jet froze up turned my plug white on the pto side had to, replace the piston...mabey you should do a compression test just to make sure...you don't want to score the wall.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Clean your carbs.
Sounds like a case of green grundge. Take of the airbox. loosen up the carb assembly from the boots roll it up and take off the bowls and check them out.

While you are in there, clean them up with some carb cleaner.

If they are really bad. you are going to have to really clean them hard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's me again...had another lost day of riding...was kinda of cool...about 2 above here in Millinocket Maine...anyways took the gas out of it today... had some water droplets inside...also has some some amounts of brown sand like stuff at the bottom..wiped it out and pulled the gas line and filter inlet line out...looked good. Added new gas..about 3 gallons and some gas additive...took it for a ride...did it again...it started to lose power and run on one cylinder...clutch side got hot..temp got up to about 1000 degrees on EGT gauges in about 2 minutes.....(before I left I had it idle for about 5 minutes temps where even at idle around 325-350 each side)...seem like something is plugged somewhere...I'm going to pull carbs out tomorrow...will check bowls and main & pilot jets..thanks for the two responses..

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Sounds like something is floating around inside the float bowls. Make sure you blow carb clearer through each passage and jet when you have the carbs on the bench. Might be good to run some ISO in the gas tank as well. If you are getting water in your gas when you fill up an intank water absorber may be also be heplful. I once lost a piston that I traced to little BB's of ice in the float bowls, so dump the fuel in the carbs and clean them well, add a water absorber to the tank and run ISO when cold and snowy.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
If the main or pilot jets have any build up at all on them..........replace only, don't try and clean them.
Cheap insurance against a burn down.

Rick.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are those temp readings in Fahrenheit or Celsius? It seems to me like an appropriate EGT reading should be in the 1100-1200 F range (600-650 C).

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Remember EGT readings are unique to each installation. Plug colour and piston wash are what will tell you what is realy going on in the motor. White plugs indicate a problem, or concern, regardless of EGT reading.

·
Registered
20,087 Posts
You are running lean. You may have to jet up if the temps are cloder than you usually ride in. Clean the crabs and make sure everything is good to go with them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If your plugs are white you had better rejet before you burn a piston. I ran my old 98 ZR500 for a year with white plugs then burnt a hole in the top of one of the pistons going across a lake.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You may be scuffing the cylinder walls and piston skirts as well. Even if it doesn't burn down you could be doing plenty of damage. You might want try pulling the Y pipe and looking at the piston skirt and rings through the exhaust port. I just put a new cylinder and two new pistons in my motor, so it can be expensive if you don't find the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts