Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
i just honed my cylinders with a three stone hone and some atf worked awsome now just waiting for my needle bearings, pistons, rings ect.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
DONT USE A BALL HONE!

i called millenium tech ( they nicasil cylinders) cause i thought you had to use diamond stones and was going to send my cylinders there and they said you can use the regular three stone hones.

i beleive its 300-400 grit the book calls out.

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
The arctic cat service manual calls for a ball hone, always has. all you need to do is break the glaze.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Ball hone is more idiotproof. Rigid stone on a hand drill could be trouble, but I can eat a taco without moving my head

·
Registered
868 Posts
Originally posted by acat04f6@Aug 28 2005, 07:03 AM
i just honed my cylinders with a three stone hone and some atf worked awsome now just waiting for my needle bearings, pistons, rings ect.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850416
[/quote]

Did you get your pistons and parts from the racing station or your dealer?

I need a rebuild but i cant get a hold of racing station. If you got your pistons there how did you get a hold of him?

Thanks JDN

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by gsxr1216@Aug 28 2005, 07:50 AM
DONT USE A BALL HONE!

i called millenium tech ( they nicasil cylinders) cause i thought you had to use diamond stones and was going to send my cylinders there and they said you can use the regular three stone hones.

i beleive its 300-400 grit the book calls out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850448
[/quote]

If all you are trying to do is de-glaze, I would agree with the answer you got from our friends at Millennium Tech, IF, you are really trying to hone some material because of minor damage--I stand on my prior post. It depends on what you are trying to do. I understood the original post to mean actually honing the cyl--not just de=glaze. A regular three stone hone is only good for very minimal honing--but the 280~400 stones can accomplish the minor stuff. Also be certain to rinse those cyls in hot, sudsy water, and oil them upon install.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
i've got the 3 stone and ball hones, but I mostly use one of those bristle-type flex hones with a little WD-40 for just de-glazing- I can't remember the grit. Alot of automotive performance engine builders use that type for a quick touch-up after rigid honing because they are supposed to give a plateau finish for better ring seat. Like has been said, a hot soapy water bath is a must, followed by a good blow dry and a final wipe down with a clean rag- if the rag gets dirty, wash and dry again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts