Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have slp tiwn pipes on my 1999 XC700, and have heard to get a tempa flow to stay more consistant with jetting. Are you guys happy with this Item?? Easy to install? Safe to use?? And does it work? Am considering purchasing one. Any thing better than this? Also. Where to get one? SLP wants about $170 for it. Any better deals than this?? Thanks as always, Bob.

G

·
I have one on my 98 600. It works fine and is pretty easy to install. I didn't actually install it, but I can see that it would be easy. A couple things to remember are that when you drill the fitting on the carb make sure you lock tite or jB weld that fitting in, or it will fall out making the engine flood out and run rich. I would zip tie the tube into the fitting as well, because that could come off the fitting and shut you down. THen you have to lean over hot pipes on the trail/lake trying to jam the tube back in the fitting to get her to go again. ALso, the plastic tube housing that comes off the airbox needs bo be secure, not flopping around near the clutch to get mawwed when you blow a belt or friction wears from vibration etc....OTher than that, it works great on the big block 600 for me, basically just assumes a constant temp for carb purposes. Runs the same at -20 degrees and 30 degrees. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey ryan, So what have you done to your 700 lately?? Still creating a monster?? LOL. Why don't you want it?? What did you do now? Am interested though! Bob.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hey ryan, So what have you done to your 700 lately?? Still creating a monster?? LOL. Why don't you want it?? What did you do now? Am interested though! Bob.[/b]
All shall be revealed soon, <evil laugh. :beerchug: check your pm about the tempaflo

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
tempaflow works very good , I run it with a slp single pipe that needs to be hot . I never notice any performance loss with temp change.

I would get one again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi, I have 2001 Polaris XC SP EDGE and I’ve bought a new Tour Buddy auxiliary gas tank to go over the belt guard for better distance that I’m going to turn over to my dealer to install properly for me. That 500 VES likes to drink gas, but it moves as fast as anything out there including most 600s. Anyway, I was thinking of adding a Holtzman Tempa Flow to help with gas mileage too, but what about changing out the reeds to Delta V-Force 3s or something else that you think might be better? Would the reeds be something that might help me get from one gas station to another or are they just for horsepower gain? I’ve read that most of you on the 2001 VES motors are jetting down one main from stock, but can it be left stock and have the Temp Flow take care of the jetting as long as it’s set for the recommended 20 degrees F?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi, I have 2001 Polaris XC SP EDGE and I’ve bought a new Tour Buddy auxiliary gas tank to go over the belt guard for better distance that I’m going to turn over to my dealer to install properly for me. That 500 VES likes to drink gas, but it moves as fast as anything out there including most 600s. Anyway, I was thinking of adding a Holtzman Tempa Flow to help with gas mileage too, but what about changing out the reeds to Delta V-Force 3s or something else that you think might be better? Would the reeds be something that might help me get from one gas station to another or are they just for horsepower gain? I’ve read that most of you on the 2001 VES motors are jetting down one main from stock, but can it be left stock and have the Temp Flow take care of the jetting as long as it’s set for the recommended 20 degrees F?[/b]
That should be -20 F.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It works just fine when set up .Mostly going to help for the warmer days ,but dont expect a huge differance.maybe one mile to the gallon better on gas mileage .I picked up a used one ,so it was worth $60.00 Don't think I want to pay full price.As far as reeds go thats about the same I would never pay full price for v force.i picked up some good deals on new carbon teck reeds I like (lights) for less than half the price ,$60.00 both times.first set was from someone on here & in the spring got some on ebay for a tripple,so I have a spare pair.You must make shur sled is set up as not to back fire before butting in carbon reeds so as not to chip them.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
fuel milage has very little to do with mains but you may (most likely) be able to drop some if your stock A tempa flow might help mileage but you could probobly gain as much or more by adjusting carb needles or your fuel screws thats where fuel mialge comes from. I have also seen improvements from advancing the tps on polaris 7-800 ves sleds

·
Registered
152 Posts
fuel milage has very little to do with mains but you may (most likely) be able to drop some if your stock A tempa flow might help mileage but you could probobly gain as much or more by adjusting carb needles or your fuel screws thats where fuel mialge comes from. I have also seen improvements from advancing the tps on polaris 7-800 ves sleds[/b]
So, why do they advertise "This product has received the most POSITIVE feedback of anything that MCB has ever sold. Customers are claiming 15% fuel mileage improvements along with crisper and cleaner throttle response & overall performance gains." I'd take have that for greater distance along with the Tour Buddy gas tank. The price of gas has nothing to do with it for me. I'm just tired of my buddies worrying if I'm going to make to the next gas station or not. Here in Ontario, gas stations are few and far between (or something like that) because there's no money in it for them with all the provincial and federal sales taxes they pay on litre of gas. They keep the snack bar and lose the pumps. In Quebec, it's a whole different game because they actually sell beer and wine at the corner gas/grocery stores so they have more customers getting gas at the same time. The other option that I was looking at was trying to buy the new 08 Shift with that 600 H.O. (non Cleanfire) motor and solenoid controlled VES. There's a lot to be said for mechanical as opposed to computer controlled electronic this and that. I say the Shift because the left-over 07 600 H.O. Cleanfire (CFI) IQs are still too expensive for me even at $9278.46 Canadian out the door (OTD). There's still a few around these parts in crates, but the price will go up when they bring them out onto the showroom floor soon. That price included 14% tax and the freight and PDI. I could probably get about $3K Canadian or so for my current machine. I had an 06 Fusion 600 H.O. (racer graphics) for a short time and it seemed to be really good on gas, but then again, I heard that the motor in other Fusion 600 weren’t. The early order 06 Fusion Dragon (red cylinder heads) wasn't nearly as powerful as my Fusion (black heads), but it could have been a bad day at the factory or something. Well, after all that, it sure would be nice to go the distance with a Ski-Doo 600 SDI, but the little 500 and the EDGE suspension can still keep up performance wise. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
He's not saying a Tempaflow is not a "good" product. We have tried them, and I really like how they work. Hell, most people don't even keep track close enough to say if they get 15% better mileage. I do, and can tell you it did not gain 15% for me. It do what it is supposed to do though, it runs the same at all temps. Other things did gain about 50% improvement, on my current sled. I also agree it is not worth full price IMHO, so I've been looking for used ones, cheap.
I would also say, as said earlier, it will help mostly when riding in warmer temps., but only if your not one to re-adjust your low speed fuel settings. You can get the exact same results as without it, if you pay attention to tuning.
IMHO, Mileage is a result of many things being set right, any of it wrong and you won't find good results. Exhaust valve sticking or open too soon, is probably the biggest issue for many. TPS setting on many Polaris's can be a big factor. Low speed clutching is another big factor, great hole shot set-ups usually will kill MPG.
A few years back we decided it was worth the risk of burning one down to try and get better MPG, so we started leaning down and found much more too it than that, and every sled is usually different. The 700 ves are easiest IMHO, then the 800 ves. The 500 and 600 are a little trickier to get better MPG with.

·
Premium Member
18,796 Posts
My personal testing with Tempa Flow indicates that it only reduces fuel flow significantly in the midrange throttle positions. I did this testing while riding with a EGT gauge installed and watching the temps and rpm at all throttle positions.

I first removed the 400 mains I've been using for 6 years on my 2000 800 XCR with zero problems (stock was 440) and re-installed the 440 mains. Testing at 25-30 degrees F showed that throttle response was normal but WOT exhaust temps were only 1000 F and peak rpm was only 7800. So much for automatically adjusting to the ambient temps! Disconnected the Tempa Flow, out cam the 440 mains, in went the 400s, back came the rpm and EGT went to 1200 at WOT. Later, I hooked the Tempa Flow back up with the 400 mains. Now, low and midrange response/power was even better, but no effect at WOT.

The obvious reason is that the device uses a source for vacuum (that it applies to the float bowls in varying amounts depending on ambient temps) near the throttle valve where vacuum is the strongest at any throttle position except idle and WOT.

Set up this way, it should still pay for itself in fuel usage at part throttle. And, if I ride at 20 below, I'll rejet mains to 440s or remove vent hoses and let them hang down under the hood to pick up the added air pressure and richen the carbs.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
My personal testing with Tempa Flow ....
The obvious reason is that the device uses a source for vacuum (that it applies to the float bowls in varying amounts depending on ambient temps) near the throttle valve where vacuum is the strongest at any throttle position except idle and WOT.
...or remove vent hoses and let them hang down under the hood to pick up the added air pressure and richen the carbs.[/b]
Just curious, is the airbox stock or gutted?
Before trying one, I noticed alot of posts with similar comments on gutted airboxes.
Randy

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
So, why do they advertise "This product has received the most POSITIVE feedback of anything that MCB has ever sold. Customers are claiming 15% fuel mileage improvements along with crisper and cleaner throttle response & overall performance gains." I'd take have that for greater distance along with the Tour Buddy gas tank. The price of gas has nothing to do with it for me. I'm just tired of my buddies worrying if I'm going to make to the next gas station or not. Here in Ontario, gas stations are few and far between (or something like that) because there's no money in it for them with all the provincial and federal sales taxes they pay on litre of gas. They keep the snack bar and lose the pumps. In Quebec, it's a whole different game because they actually sell beer and wine at the corner gas/grocery stores so they have more customers getting gas at the same time. The other option that I was looking at was trying to buy the new 08 Shift with that 600 H.O. (non Cleanfire) motor and solenoid controlled VES. There's a lot to be said for mechanical as opposed to computer controlled electronic this and that. I say the Shift because the left-over 07 600 H.O. Cleanfire (CFI) IQs are still too expensive for me even at $9278.46 Canadian out the door (OTD). There's still a few around these parts in crates, but the price will go up when they bring them out onto the showroom floor soon. That price included 14% tax and the freight and PDI. I could probably get about $3K Canadian or so for my current machine. I had an 06 Fusion 600 H.O. (racer graphics) for a short time and it seemed to be really good on gas, but then again, I heard that the motor in other Fusion 600 weren’t. The early order 06 Fusion Dragon (red cylinder heads) wasn't nearly as powerful as my Fusion (black heads), but it could have been a bad day at the factory or something. Well, after all that, it sure would be nice to go the distance with a Ski-Doo 600 SDI, but the little 500 and the EDGE suspension can still keep up performance wise. Thanks for the feedback.[/b]
First of all I forgot the original question for this topic and to answer that I ride with sevral guys who run them and and they like it enough that I bought one, I will be using one this coming year but have not yet run it myself. Next I did not mean to say the tempaflow does not increse milage because it can. Just that main jets have very little to do with fuel milage because you spend more time at low throttle positions where the main jet does not have very much effect. I hear of people dropping main jets to help milage and this is usually going about it the wrong way , if you were in the main jet enough to where that effected your milage you wouldnt care about milage, usually a sled that gets poor milage will have a rich spot some where that can be corrected by dropping the needle or turning the air screw out or fuel screw in. On a side note I have known some dealers to richen these adjustments to dummy proof sleds after repairs or at inital setup so I would start by checking the screws to see where they are

·
Registered
152 Posts
First of all I forgot the original question for this topic and to answer that I ride with sevral guys who run them and and they like it enough that I bought one, I will be using one this coming year but have not yet run it myself. Next I did not mean to say the tempaflow does not increse milage because it can. Just that main jets have very little to do with fuel milage because you spend more time at low throttle positions where the main jet does not have very much effect. I hear of people dropping main jets to help milage and this is usually going about it the wrong way , if you were in the main jet enough to where that effected your milage you wouldnt care about milage, usually a sled that gets poor milage will have a rich spot some where that can be corrected by dropping the needle or turning the air screw out or fuel screw in. On a side note I have known some dealers to richen these adjustments to dummy proof sleds after repairs or at inital setup so I would start by checking the screws to see where they are[/b]
Yes, sorry to get off topic and ramble. I will buy the Tempa Flow for consistant running and have my dealer tune the carbs for better fuel mileage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts