Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my wifes stock 2003 vmax 600. (new to us) At 40 mph runs at about 6,000 rpm and if i goose thottle goes right to 9,000 on tach. runs and accelerates great just CONCERNED ABOUT./.. HIGH REVS, IS THIS NORMAL??? My viper doesn't rev this high. V-max 600 also uses more fuel than my 700 viper?? (Only 100-200 miles on belt)

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
You will have to add heavier rivets to the primary weights. I think there are specs over at totallyamaha. Mine used to go right up to 10K at times, after proper set-up I got it down to 8,300. The funny thing is though no matter what I did as far as clutching or set up I had a hard time getting over 13-14 MPG. Great sled though, I sold it recently with well over 18K miles on it and it still ran like new.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have to add heavier rivets to the primary weights. I think there are specs over at totallyamaha. Mine used to go right up to 10K at times, after proper set-up I got it down to 8,300. The funny thing is though no matter what I did as far as clutching or set up I had a hard time getting over 13-14 MPG. Great sled though, I sold it recently with well over 18K miles on it and it still ran like new.[/b]
thanx i'll try that, Even with her driving it ionly gets 10 mpg. Not totally concerned with gas millage, but if it gets better only a plus. Just thought it was reving high. It use to take off hard, almost stick but loosing track helped a lot. Was going to try another belt , but ther not excatally cheap if it doesnt change. I'll look into changing rivets on weights. thanx good riding to you.. I think I ginxed us all, bought two sleds last year, now we're having the worst two winters

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will have to add heavier rivets to the primary weights. I think there are specs over at totallyamaha. Mine used to go right up to 10K at times, after proper set-up I got it down to 8,300. The funny thing is though no matter what I did as far as clutching or set up I had a hard time getting over 13-14 MPG. Great sled though, I sold it recently with well over 18K miles on it and it still ran like new.[/b]
Can you explain ruffly how to check or change wieghts on primary weights

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can remove the weights without removing the clutch, and drill out the rivets and replace them with heavier ones. Get the manual it is good to have on hand.[/b]
Can you buy weights at dealer, do you know what stock weight would be. Thats good i dont need to remove clutch, What manual is it in, owners? or clutch manual? I saw in previous forum someone says they went from 13.3 to 13.9 in outer hole,,,, does this side right?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can remove the weights without removing the clutch, and drill out the rivets and replace them with heavier ones. Get the manual it is good to have on hand.[/b]
I rechecked previous forum,,,,said they changed from 10.3 to 13.9,,miss wrote in previous note

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
search totallyamaha for more specifics, it has been several years since i clutched mine. My Yamaha dealer had everything that I needed for my sled, I sometimes had to order stuff but I never went aftermarket for hard parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.