Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first sled, so stoked!! It will be living year-round in my driveway (on a utility trailer), so hoping to get the best possible cover to protect it from the elements (mostly rain and UV in the summer). I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so we get a crap ton of rain.

Any recommendations on a high quality waterproof cover that will last and also manage moisture well?

I've tried to do some research, but it's so hard to tell the quality, looks like there are lots of crappy/cheap covers out there. I don't mind paying a bit more, but want something that will last and actually work. Some of the covers I found that might be ok?
  • Seal Skin Supreme All Weather Outdoor Snowmobile Cover - link
  • Weatherproof Shield Snowmobile Cover - link
Half the time these companies are just rebranding and selling some generic chinese-made cover, I have a hunch these two might literally be the same cover lol...

Sled is a 2016 Skidoo Summit X 174cm track if it matters, pretty long (141" total vehicle length).

·
Premium Member
2014 800 Switchback Pro R 1.75" lug Retro white w/bags
75 Posts
Just my thoughts on this. Use the best quality cover 'doo makes, and then cover it with a canvas or poly tarp again. Sun and rain beat the crap out of tarps, they will degrade in about 2-3 years. Pressure points (handle bar ends, windshields, bumpers) are the biggest culprits for UV wear. Protect your investment.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I know folks who use XL motorcycle covers. SkiDoo makes the new Ride On Cover. Nothing covers the back unfortunately now. I have the Universal Ski Doo dust cover and it won't fit my G4 146 Backcountry all around. It's big and does fit completely cover my XS chassis sleds. You might have better luck with an older Intense or Rap Clip Ski Doo cover, for your specific model

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
An OEM trailerable cover will be the best quality, coupled with a tarp for waterproofing will take care of it.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600 GSX SE
764 Posts
Put a good sled cover on it and then a heavy duty (not light or medium) waterproof poly tarp over the whole thing. You could cut some 2x4's and make an A frame over the sled. Keeps the tarp off the cover and lets some air move under the tarp. The angles on the tarp will shed the water better. You don't want the elements splashing off the trailer up into the running gear. I cover my two place trailer with a poly tarp for the summer. It never sets outside uncovered unless I am using it.

·
Read Only
24,536 Posts
Click the link below the company is an HCS advertiser, I'm not sure what they would charge to make a cover for your trailer. If you're going to spend a couple hundred dollars every couple of years for a new cover maybe look in to a sno-cap for your trailer. I would think they could give you a ball park price over the phone if you follow their guide on how to measure your trailer for a trailer cover and what options you would like to have for your cover.

Clicky below:

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
In 2002 I bought a Polaris 700 Edge X and it turned out that sled would last me 15k miles with zero engine work. During that time I had to buy at least 4 covers for it, and I always found the OEM covers to the best. I trailered with these covers and they got used hard. 4 covers X $170 ea is $680 I sure wish I saved and spent towards an enclosed trailer, which eventually I got anyway. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few folks recommended the OEM covers. Those are $300 for my sled, and I'd be keen to buy them IF I could confirm that they are in fact waterproof or at least good for long term storage vs. just trailering (i.e. protection from salt).

Also, the OEM cover for my sled (Summit 800) doesn't actually cover the rear tunnel... seems so odd. Which would mean any rain would just run along the tunnel and under the covered part of the sled!

·
Registered
43,588 Posts
Make sure you get a breathable cover, and the sled is off the ground...seen some of those vinyl or rain coat type covers cause issues with the sled underneath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts