Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have two xc 6's, an 01 and 03, both VES. Both are near or over 7000 miles, and I am looking to see if there is anything obvious that I should deal with this fall.

Here is what I have done/will do this fall:

- all drive bearings changed @ around 4000 miles.
- Fox shocks rebuilt each year or after 2500 miles
- tracks/studs will be deal with this fall.. the 01 has many broken bars
- clutch bushing will be done this fall. Springs and weights are new(er), new
secondary buttons last season.
- valves cleaned every 800 miles on average.
- chain on the 01 is original... anyhone bust these from mileage?
- can you change fuel and oil filters on these sleds anymore?

Any wearable parts that you can recommend to change... or stories of what
failed on your xc 6 and at what mileage?

·
Registered
43,784 Posts
Although I haven't kept a sled long enough to obtain 7,000 miles.... I would do a complete primary, and secondary clutch rebuild if not already...Polaris, and others sell the everything needed as a kit to complete the rebuild, except the special tools needed. Go through all idler wheels, replace brake fluid, new chain and gears, check engine compression, do a leak down test also. I've seen the water pump seal begin to go on these sleds with that kind of miles too which is internallly in the motor. Probably be a good idea to check all IFS components to for excessive slop also. As far as the filters, I think there is only an external oil pump filter that couldn't hurt to be replaced...don't forget to bleed the pump afterwards. The fuel filter is in the tank. If you haven't done so already...look real good for any coolant hose's or wiring in the motor compartment that could get chaffed.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
I know of 2 or 3 01 high mileage 600's that broke an exhaust valve, they can do some damage if they drops down into the cylinder...

·
Registered
43,784 Posts
Theres another guy in our area that we did a trip with that bought a used 05 edge 50th like mine in the spring with a blown motor....he had a new top end replaced in warranty due to a broken exhaust valve. I don't if the valve was just defective or something else happened, but its something to look out for on these twins.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input lads. It gives me a few more things to look into this fall.

Ivar... any idea what the "high mileage" was on the sleds that dropped the exhaust values in the motor? I have not heard of much/any value issues on the 6's... only generally on the 8's. I imagine the valves themselves are not
exactly cheap either. ... but are you stories roll in, I guess any motor can eat a valve.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Originally posted by ivar@Sep 13 2005, 10:33 AM
I know of 2 or 3 01 high mileage 600's that broke an exhaust valve, they can do some damage if they drops down into the cylinder...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=872572
[/quote]
A lot of that has to do with overheating,polaris service bulleton SAF-02-04 states installing an extra heat exchanger, it is an7-3/4" by 9-3/4 " heat exchanger that gets mounted in tunnel between strip heat exchangers. Poo recomends it for 600s with M10, may want to consider it anyway.Also new valves are titanium and supposed to not sag, although i yhave heard some stuff bout the new 1s too

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Look for seeping coolant below water pump, mechanical seal and bearing only last so long. Lots replaced 5-6000 miles. If you haven't changed motror mounts the back ones for sure are broke. If the chain isnt stiff check it for wear.
check for rubbing and marks on coolant hoses as Too Slow said. Check for loose or ovaled holes in skid mounts. Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out.
:div20:

·
Registered
305 Posts
My '00 600ves (660) grenaded at ~6500 miles. Rod snapped in half and literally split the motor in two. Prior to that it ran flawless for its entire life - and I'm *very* meticulous about maintaining my machines.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Thinksno@Sep 13 2005, 07:03 PM
Look for seeping coolant below water pump, mechanical seal and bearing only last so long. Lots replaced 5-6000 miles. If you haven't changed motror mounts the back ones for sure are broke. If the chain isnt stiff check it for wear.
check for rubbing and marks on coolant hoses as  Too Slow said. Check for loose or ovaled holes in skid mounts. Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=873506
[/quote]

The back motor mounts are something new to look at. The water pump seal and bearing will also be a new adventure... I understand they are rather internal on
these motors? Will have to get a manual out.

Changed both sleds to 23/40 last year, so the chains have been looked and oil has been flushed.. but this will occur again in the track change.

Yep, I always keep on eye on hose rubbing and loose skid mounts.. and will be sure to do a once over this fall. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts