Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk on bad cranks,piston skirt breakage etc. I was wondering who has got the highest miles on theres without replacing major parts? I for one am going to run another season and bring it up to 7500 miles. After a few critical checks and a tight budget. I cant justify a teardown. :Wow1:

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
A hair over 7000 miles on my baby. Nothing other then cleaning the APV's and putting in oil and gas and changed the chaincase oil once. Hoping for over 9000 on it after this winter. :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Approx 5000 on my ZR800cce. The last 4400 on Blue Marble.
Aside from shimming the APV's due to APV/Piston contact all is well. Still scoots like a scared rabbit. :luxhello:

Wait for ZRSledHead's feedback.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Rick...........Nearly 10,000 miles on stock pistons, had the power valves not chewed up the skirts they would still be in there.
IMHO.........I'd inspect em carefully / do a compression test. If all checks out Ok you should be good to go. If your still not comfortable at that point, pull the cyls for a closer inspection, if ok, deglaze and whack in a new set of rings.

·
Registered
942 Posts
wear on the APV seems to be an area to keep close eye on. do a search on that. some models are more prone than other i hear. my buddy has 3000 miles on his APV's and never cleaned or inspected. i would hope he does b4 this season! dont wanna screw up a good weekend. best AC i had was a 2001 ZR 800. flawless.

·
Registered
147 Posts
5800+ on the bottom end of my '03 zr8 never had any issues. I put a 900 top end on it last year thats why the top is new. I am going to tear it down to check and weld the crank this year as I have a set of twins for it. The sled has always started in one or 2 pulls and runs great. :luxhello:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to lots of vendors at the Toronto show. All agreed that the 900 crank issue is not a problem on a stock machine. Lots of opinions not favoring to weld cranks. Looks to be just a few lemons souring the whole tree. This is AC third production year of the 900. If there was a serious issue it would have not gone unnoticed. Mine runs to good to justify a overhaul. Sorry to hear that some of you have had such bad failures.But i am not spooked to rip it apart. This is the best sled that I have owned. :beerchug:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I purchased a ZL800 EFI this summer and have heard about shimming the powervalves.. but really dont know if I have too or should. And if I should how exactly do you do it? You would shim it so it sits higher in the cylinder right? Sorta like dropping the clip on your needles in the carbs.. you want the actual power valve to sit slightly higher in the port... correct?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are seating the valves further away from the piston when you shim them. I just took a file to the corners of the valve a put a small radius on them. It seems the valve edges contact the piston first. This is due to wear in the retaining pin or it seems they are mass produced with a few irregularities. Its good to inspect and perform one of the above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts