Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my zr when first started will idle fine, but after hitting the throttle she will idle at about 3500, and won't come down.... clutch maybe.... seal? any ideas guys?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
My ZR8 hangs up at 3000 when I come to a stop. It will stay there unless I blip the choke. Then it will idle at 2400. If I blip the choke again it will idle at 1500. Go to the Amsnow forums. This has been discussed in the past. People have given responses to the best carb adjustments to prevent this from happening. Other than this idle problem, the sled runs great so I decided not to mess with the carbs and just rode it like it was. Good luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It happens to alot of people including me, pretty much normal, don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As posted before by many people. Turn the fuel and the air screws out 1.5 turns, and go from there, some guys said 1.75, but mine works at 1.5 out on each. adjust idle to 1400rpm's afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the fix for the high idle is more air and a smaller throttle opening. Catmaster900 has the right idea, and only do what you need to do to eliminate the annoying surging.

Turn the air screws out 1/4t at a time and reduce hot idle speed to 1000-1200prm if necessary. On sleds without air screws (most polaris), use a larger PAJ (pilot-air-jet).

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My '02 ZR8 had the same high idle issue.
I found the air screws at 1.5 turns open from the factory. The spec. in the service manual is 2 turns open for the airscrews and 1.5 turns open for the fuel screws. For the 800 twin try this spec and then make minute adjustments from there if necessary. FYI, the air screws effect idle mixture. The fuel screws come in to play when the throttle is opened just off idle to about 1/4 throttle position.
Good Luck!

P.S. it was GLS who suggested I open the airscrews as a reduced A/S setting wouldn't allow the carbs enough venturi action to pull adequate fuel throught the idle circuit resulting in a high (lean) idle condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts