Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled has done this the past two times that i have ridden... I start it up, it stays at 1800r's(were it usually idles at) for about 3 seconds, then it jumps up to about 3800... I hate this... 3800rpm on a ice cold motor... what in the heck in causein this?? also, when i stop, it stays at 3800 rpm, :wacko: almost like its stuck on a fast idle or something.

·
Registered
899 Posts
sounds like your valves are dirty or apv cables need adjusting try blipping the throttle to see if it idles down

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry bout that... i forgot to say its a 97 ZR 580... no apv's...and yes i tried brappin the throttle and it didn't work...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I would check if the slides are comming all the way back down in the carbs or the tops of the carbs are loose. Or look for cracked carb flange and clean the carbs and make sure you clean the pilot system.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I just had the same prob on my 96 ZR 580 EFI. The rubber boots(flanges) that connect the throttle body to the motor were both cracked right where the clamp goes over them. I would assume same system for carbs, check them out. Mine did exactly what your talking about.

Also don't forget to put some RTV on the flanges to seal them to the motor if you have to put new ones on ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by flyingf7sp@Mar 9 2003, 02:34 AM
I just had the same prob on my 96 ZR 580 EFI.  The rubber boots(flanges) that connect the throttle body to the motor were both cracked right where the clamp goes over them.  I would assume same system for carbs, check them out.  Mine did exactly what your talking about.

Also don't forget to put some RTV on the flanges to seal them to the motor if you have to put new ones on ;)
for the record....never use silicone rtv on any fuel system parts if there is any possibility it can get sucked into the engine...it turns to an almost glasslike substance when burned...tiny smear of white grease will do and cause no harm....just my 2 pennies...steve :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by fixer5000+Mar 9 2003, 05:18 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-flyingf7sp
@Mar 9 2003, 02:34 AM
I just had the same prob on my 96 ZR 580 EFI.  The rubber boots(flanges) that connect the throttle body to the motor were both cracked right where the clamp goes over them.  I would assume same system for carbs, check them out.  Mine did exactly what your talking about.

for the record....never use silicone rtv on any fuel system parts if there is any possibility it can get sucked into the engine...it turns to an almost glasslike substance when burned...tiny smear of white grease will do and cause no harm....just my 2 pennies...steve :D[/b]
I didn't know that but when you pop the flanges off the motor side there is black silicone on there already. Make sure you scrape it off so the surface is clean and smooth. Don't put a lot of silicone on, you'll see on that side of the flange there looks like an O-ring built into it(raised out of the rest of the rubber) Just put a thin film all around this ring so when you tighten it to the motor it makes a good seal. I used blue, not black when I put the new ones on so we'll see if it works ok.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
BTW ZR man, have you found out anything on why it's doing this yet?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no... i went to play inthe powder today, it started 2nd put and ran at 1800rpm for about a minute, then i went inside to get dressed, came back out and it was idlein at 3800 again... i don't know what in the heck is going on...This is the reason i hate efi!!! carbs are so simple...efi, i don't know where to start... :rolleyes:

Efi are still the only way to go though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts