Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the new drive clutch after the last one self-destructed, the thing runs like a CHAMP :D but it seems to idle very high now, around 3000 RPM. Whats up with this? The new drive clutch has the stock weights and the stock yellow/white spring. Could the high idle be comming from something else?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
YEP..
That sounds like a screwed PTO seal. I just finished changing my boy's 340 panther seal and his idle dropped big time.

Probably cut it when the clutch blew.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, how hard is that PTO seal to change? In other news, I just descovered today that I need some new parts to my driven clutch because it has been damaged by debris from the drive clutch explosion. :wacko: Uggh its time for a new sled :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I'll be a bit better of a host than most on here.
Changing the PTO seal isn't too hard. The worst part is getting it off without scratching the shaft.
Before you start get a block of wood (4" x 4") and bore it thru the centre to clear the PTO shaft.
You can use the wood to drive the seal on without damaging anything.

It took me 1/2 hour to change the boys.
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Oh BTW a sure fire way to test the leak is to spray WD40 around the seal. The rpms should drop if it is screwed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe, my dad dig suggest the WD-40 test to see if its screwed up. Now if the PTO isnt messed up, is there anything else that would cause a high idle? The idle seems to slow down but it takes a long time to slow to normal.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It could be a lot of things.
I guessed the PTO seal since you grenaded the clutch. You might also want to check your boots from the carbs to the intake. If one is cut it will suck air and give a high idle. (BTW this is a VERY bad thing. I means the cylinder with the cut boot will be running lean )

But if the idle is dropping it might be as simple as water in the fuel. Or a plugged filter or Pilot jet.

:blink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohh yes a loose carb boot is a VERY bad thing. The guy we sold our 1991 Prowler to seized the thing up because one of the carb boots were just a little loose!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts