Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my headlight bulbs to Xenon Blue bulbs but I'm not sure how they work and havn't looked at them in operation.

Are there two high beam bulbs and two low beam or are they all the same and all come on at the same time on high?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
b careful with xeon bulbs. standard bulbs are 37.5 watts.; xeon are 50 watts a piece. Thus you will be running an extra 50 watts. The f7s dont even have anough power to run the headlamps, speedo, and thumb & grip warmers when idle ing. So if you run the xeons and the handwarmers @ high (possibly low or med) your speedo will shut off. If you draw more than 4 amps of additional power (4x13 volts = 52 watts) your will have a problem with you EFI. The check enginel light will come on and will make your sled run rich (limited use mode) and make it run like crap.

If you have an f5 i dont think it is a problem. but on the f7 you may have a problem if you like to use your thumb and grip warmers. Oh, do you use a heated face shield? That thing take power too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an F5- thanks for the info. I will check the wattage on the bulbs. I love my handwarmers so I dont want to mess them up.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by F7_Ditch_Jumper@Feb 6 2003, 04:30 PM
b careful with xeon bulbs. standard bulbs are 37.5 watts.; xeon are 50 watts a piece. Thus you will be running an extra 50 watts. The f7s dont even have anough power to run the headlamps, speedo, and thumb & grip warmers when idle ing. So if you run the xeons and the handwarmers @ high (possibly low or med) your speedo will shut off. If you draw more than 4 amps of additional power (4x13 volts = 52 watts) your will have a problem with you EFI. The check enginel light will come on and will make your sled run rich (limited use mode) and make it run like crap.

If you have an f5 i dont think it is a problem. but on the f7 you may have a problem if you like to use your thumb and grip warmers. Oh, do you use a heated face shield? That thing take power too.
I changed the low beams on my F7 to 50W Xenon bulbs and have not experienced any of what you have described. Sled has about 1000 miles on it now.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by redfirecat03@Feb 6 2003, 04:09 PM
I am going to change my headlight bulbs to Xenon Blue bulbs but I'm not sure how they work and havn't looked at them in operation.
They work good. I can't say that they are much brighter, but they definately produce a "whiter" light. I got mine from Bluhm Enterprises. Check them out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where do you get 50 watt Zenon Blue bulbs? What is the number for this bulb. If you toggle the dimmer switch Just right you can get both beams to come on at the same time. I did this with my hand and thumb warmers on and did not have a problem. I would also like to have better high beam lights. There is some reserve in the system as the brake light is generally not on and if so only momentarily.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
I have had the xenon lamps in my sled since new, not a problem. The advertized 50 watt is not what the lamp draws but what the equivalent halogen lamp would have to be to be as bright. A 50 watt halogen lamp is as bright as a 37.5w xenon. Xenon burns at a much cooler temp thus allowing longer life and more lumens per watt. Hope this helps

p.s. there are 4 lamps in the system all 37.5w the reflector is what causes high and low

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the Xenon bulbs last night in my F5 and so far they look great- brighter white with a slight blue tint. I didnt ride it so I dont know what they will be like on trail but I suspect they will be good. I've run Xenon in my last 3 sleds and always liked them- just dont get the real cheap bulbs- thay are just coated blue.

It takes four bulbs and all are the same- just the reflector changes the high and low.

I bought mine on ebay for $13 per pair plus shipping. They are 37.5 watts and the seller has lots of these for sale. His ebay ID is MIDNIGHTMOOSE and you need the 894 bulbs.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had them in my sled, Did not think they were better, They were whiter, but I could not see any better, I put the stock ones back in, I like them better. I paid $32.00 for the set of 2, I will sell them for $25.00 if anyone wants them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts