Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on making a trip out to Wyoming during spring break this year and I'm just wondering what you guys think would be a good setup for out there. I've already got the 60 gram (I think) weights and I'm wondering what gear ratio everyone would recommend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sorry, my bad. I've got an F7 SP and I'm think the altitude will be over 9,000 feet.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I was in Wyoming last week.

Take the factory setup sheet and wipe your ass with it.

19/43 gears 58 grams weights. This only took me 3 belts at 58.00 each to figure out.

With the 60 gram it only pulled 7200-7400 r's, and with the 20/39 gears, belts were good for about 25 miles in the pow. With the factory weights, you could bearly climb, and it had a hell of a time shifting out. Dump the sway bar, loosen up front shock on rear skid and bring a shovel. If you can get them to plain out on the deep pow they are ok, but they trench like you wouldnt believe. Climbs the hill that track up like mad though.

Or go to www.snowest.com Go to the mountain section and do a search on F7.

Pat

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by ZREFIrider@Feb 12 2003, 10:21 AM
I was in Wyoming last week.

Take the factory setup sheet and wipe your ass with it.

19/43 gears 58 grams weights. This only took me 3 belts at 58.00 each to figure out.

With the 60 gram it only pulled 7200-7400 r's, and with the 20/39 gears, belts were good for about 25 miles in the pow. With the factory weights, you could bearly climb, and it had a hell of a time shifting out. Dump the sway bar, loosen up front shock on rear skid and bring a shovel. If you can get them to plain out on the deep pow they are ok, but they trench like you wouldnt believe. Climbs the hill that track up like mad though.

Or go to www.snowest.com Go to the mountain section and do a search on F7.

Pat
That's just great..... I just went out and spent $140.00 on a new upper(20t) & lower sprocket(39t) and a new 70p chain for my trip to Wyoming next week(9000+ ft.) and your saying that it won't work correctly...... :( I have been a person in the past who solidly beleves that a person should stick with factory specifications and that they would know best whe it comes to situations like this.

I was thinking something was fishy with Cats specs. on this since the overall ratio between the stock 22t upper and the 41t lower is barely different. Taking 2 teeth of both the upper and lower gears(per AC's altitude set-up specifications) pretty much leavs a person with the exact same gear ratio. I asked about this exact thing on a much earlier thread(I think I actually posted several times) and others said that there is a difference between the 22/41 and the 20/39 gear set-up. They started talking about drag racing and marking your track and turn the chaincase 1 revolution and then you would see the difference...... According to my calculations, the stock 22/41 ratio is .536 and the suggested altitude set-up from AC of 20/23 is a ratio of .512 and to me that seems like it will be hardly noticable.

Do I stand to be corrected? I hope so, then I won't feel like I wasted my $'s on new gears and chain for altitude riding.....
-John

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was out in West Yellowstone/Island Park, Idaho area with the factory set-up 60 gram weights, 20/39 gears and the sled performed flawlessly. Now, the elevation is between 6000 to 9500 ft. The sled really ran great.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Jleo,

Look in the ATT: Cat forum. I always thought that Huz-yur-daddy's setup up was waaaayyyy to tall. But it is spot on. Ran a 19-40 last weekend and didnt pop any belts, but couldnt hold any track speed. The 60 gram weights are too heavy. Like i said only 7200-74 on top end.

19/43 is way to go. 19/40 got me buy. They sled runs well, but rpm is very inconsistant.

I agree about the factory suggestions, but they couldnt be any farther off. IT only took me 3 blown belts to figure it out. I have been out 2 times this year and screwed with the setup both times.

If all you do is race around the trails it will be fine, any thing else, fill your backpack up with extra belts.

FWIW
my 800 1M (even though track is 151x2.0) is about same HP, 10 tooth drivers, it runs 19/43 gears.

The snow is kickass out there. Best riding i have ever had. Hit the pow with lots of speed and lean forward. You need to get it to plane out ( you can feel it). It is a treching SOB. On the flats you will cut a 2-3' trench. Right before getting stuck, i had some over waist deep.

It climbs the tracked hills like mad. :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by ToddUF7@Feb 13 2003, 07:30 AM
I was out in West Yellowstone/Island Park, Idaho area with the factory set-up 60 gram weights, 20/39 gears and the sled performed flawlessly. Now, the elevation is between 6000 to 9500 ft. The sled really ran great.
I ride in Idaho, and never had problems. Only problem with is the belt a couple of times, because we were riding very hard, in very Wet, Heavy and deep snow. Did damn good for a trial sled.

The last trip I my brother and I blew a belt, but so did my MC 900. So it wasn't the sleds, it is the very heavy wet snow, and the riding hard

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by messickzr@Feb 13 2003, 03:09 PM
Earl-- What gears were you running?
Dude,

Not sure the actual gears, pop your hood and look at the Arctic Cat recommended gears for up to 9000'

that is what is on them.

When you did your, did you buy the actual high Altitude kit for the sled, or winged it on your own?

·
Registered
47 Posts
8,000+ setup for F7 SnoPro with V-Force 3 & 4 D&D Bullseyes

Primary:
Polaris 10-58 weights with Arctic Cat orange/white spring

Secondary:
Stock helix 53-51 with stock red/white spring in middle hole

Gearing:
19 - 40 with 70 pitch/15 wide chain

Pulls instantly to 7,700 rpm and stays there until you let off throttle.
Power and speed was instant to sling shot me up the hillclimbs faster than any longtrack sled.
Tested and tuned this setup in Grand Lake, CO & Laramie, WY.
Hillclimbs like a Son-of-a-*itch. Drag races awsome to 500' in the meadows.
No longtrack sled could touch me hillclimbing or draging with this setup.
Top speed is around 80-85mph which is plenty for any mountain riding.
Still on original belt!
You won't be dissapointed with this setup!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts