Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am still trying to get my 2004 f-7 efi sno-pro dialed in.Ever since started messin with the clutches I have opened up a can of worms. I am wasting valuable riding time so I am turning to you guys for help again. I am ordering a new clutch kit (black magic heartthrob). it is an elevation kit 4-8000 feet. it comes with 59 gram weights. Does this sound like it gonna work? I am afraid it's gonna be too light on the weights and I am going to over rev the damn thing, but thats what techs at Black magic are telling me there elevation kit comes with 59 gram wts, and they are reccomending it to me. Its actually an 03 kit but they are sending me some shims and are telling me not too worry that it will be fine.Black Magic is a good company right?There technicians should know there stuff right?I am still worried because right now I am running 64 gram weights but am having shifting troubles cuz its a sea level clutch kit.Will this elevation kit with the lighter weights work for me you think?I mean a sea level kit compared to a higher elevation kit is gonna have differant spring tensions correct? So If they are sending 59 gram weights with this kit, the springs are probably a differant tension on there elevation kit versus my old sea level kit with 64 gram weights correct?I guess what I'm asking is are all kits differant. Right now my 64 gram weights enable me to rev the motor to around 7800-8000 rpms, but its a sea level kit. I am worried that going down to 59 will be tooo light. Since it's an altitude kit will these lighter weights be ok for my motor?? Thanks fellers..

·
Registered
446 Posts
the 59g weights would probably be about right for the elvation for an 03 firecat i know. arctic cat recommends 56.5 for 9000+...the BM kit probably comes with stiffer springs than stock. im not sure how it will work with the 04 clutches. if BM recommends then i would say it would probably be alright.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great this really helps and one more question. If a clutch kit has a Stiffer Spring can you run lighter weights verses a weaker spring running lighter weights without overrevving? Your help is greatly appreciated :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thats a huge altitude variation to try and cover with one set of weights. Even on cats diagram they would run atleast 2 different sets of weights in that range. On my 03 F7 i was running stock weights according to cats specs and had excellent luck with that. With the M i'm using cutler adjustable weights that I can change the amount of weight on easily for the elevation by changing out pins without removing the weights. Do you actually ride in an area that changes that much or what elevation are you normally riding at.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help brother. I liove at 3500 ft. I ride anywhere from around 4000 at snowmobile park to up to 8000 depending on the snow conditions etc. Some days I might go from 4-6000 ft other days I might ride at 5500 others I might ride at 7000 it just depends. i need a kit that will do it all. I am an aggressive trail rider, road racer ditch banger.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Its gonna be hard to have a kit that will do it all well but its possible to get something setup in the middle that will work. I'll agree 69 sounds a lil heavy which will do the opposite of what your guessing. Instead of over revving you won't be able to pull full RPMs. I'm no clutch guru though and would say try it out first and see what happens but i'm thinking at the bottom end of your elevation you'll probably be doing ok but at the upper elevations your going to have a hard time pulling thoose weights.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait a minute. We are talking about 59 gram weights here not 69.I have already had 68 and they dont pull my rpms. Im at 64 now and rpm are pretty good. but 59 grams I get a little worried. What do ya think about 59s? :banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.