Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Looks great! im going to do somthing like that with the cross country edge grips! What did you use to do that? rivets from the bottom of the running boards?

thanks,dave.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just those few work great but i may add a few more... just dont want to weaken the board to much

·
Registered
772 Posts
hey ..i did mine in a patter to..dont need a lot that for sure..was gonna make a smiley face..i used 3/8 aluminum..just slightly shorter then the ones they give u for ur running board grips...i riveted the grips near the footholds upside down..then the rest down since the cheesgrader saw part is raised about the middle section ..those grips rock..and the rivets work like glue..and the running boards are great with the coolant ran through them.snow just melts right off to water ...you wont have a problem like years past with the zrs and the running boards making ice damns on them...and the rivets rock and is alot cheaper and faster then boring huge holes...my feet didnt slip and INCH!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
BFC,

that looks great im doing the same thing that your doing! but im getting green or silver edge instead of orange. Im not sure whether to get green or silver, im probably going to go with silver because then they wont get scratched and stuff and looks bad after. But the rivet thing is a better idea then drillingf big holes in your running board! those hold get you all wet when crossing water! i know this cause my 01 mxz 600 had holes in the running boards and i got wet all the time on the water!

Madcarpenter,

I dont think adding more rivets would make the board less strong, i think it may make it more sitff, if they are in tight anyway, why do you think they would become less strong? or why does anyone think this?

thanks,dave.

·
Registered
772 Posts
id go green because it will tie some color in with the rear..but the boot i wore that day were my shoe/boots and they arent not marking soles like my boots are..a good pair of boots shouldnt do that..i just did it because u know how wild my sled lookin the front with the orange..i needed to tie the orange theme in the rear.....and really those grip plates are worthless..because after u put on the edge/rail grips the part behind the board braces ur feet wont fit in there..and the the edge grips come into the boards a lot farther then previous years and ull LOVE THAT saw tooth on the inner side of the edge..its just hold ur feet...and the rivets are great for the wide platform at the bottom..thats why i did it..no water seepin in...plus i dont have to measure and make a grid and drill and flair and blah blah blah..its fast..and like i said.since this years boards are heated..no more ice damn build up..the rivets will work great..hey dave..do what i did though..when installing the rivets on the edge grips...install the FIRST two upside down then the rest right side up...that way the whole area where the grips are its covered!! working good for the first 120 miles..wish i would of did this on my last years sled!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by Big Fire Chief@Dec 16 2002, 08:14 PM
id go green because it will tie some color in with the rear..but the boot i wore that day were my shoe/boots and they arent not marking soles like my boots are..a good pair of boots shouldnt do that..i just did it because u know how wild my sled lookin the front with the orange..i needed to tie the orange theme in the rear.....and really those grip plates are worthless..because after u put on the edge/rail grips the part behind the board braces ur feet wont fit in there..and the the edge grips come into the boards a lot farther then previous years and ull LOVE THAT saw tooth on the inner side of the edge..its just hold ur feet...and the rivets are great for the wide platform at the bottom..thats why i did it..no water seepin in...plus i dont have to measure and make a grid and drill and flair and blah blah blah..its fast..and like i said.since this years boards are heated..no more ice damn build up..the rivets will work great..hey dave..do what i did though..when installing the rivets on the edge grips...install the FIRST two upside down then the rest right side up...that way the whole area where the grips are its covered!! working good for the first 120 miles..wish i would of did this on my last years sled!!
BFC,

I will take what you said into consideration when deciding to go with green or silver. As you said and from what i can see it looks like they provide great traction and are wide too to support your feet better!, so the plates are not need for this set up, they would be nice but the rivets will do a great job at a fraction of the price.

When you added the edge grips did you find it made the snow on the running boards not melt as quickor as much? i would think it would affect it a bit but maybe not.

thanksmdave.

·
Registered
772 Posts
no difference davey...once the cold cold COLD blooded animal gets all warm and fuzzy..the whole bottom of the boards stay steamin ..id say within 10-15 min..they will be snow melting worthy for ur biggest powder busts or carvin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Slider79,

thanks for all those pics, its appreciated!! but i have yet to see a green set anywhere but your sled and the colours didnt looks right because you said your camera was not good for those pics. Oh well here is a pic of a nice running board set up done by fellow board member Jleosnow. I think its a great set up!

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
hey slider...one thing to remember...those are PAINTED silver as far as i know..not just plain aluminum...so those will scuff and mark too if u have cheap boots..just a thought... i guess its just my painting days comming out..id get into a 500,000 or million dollar house and they wanted the hole place painted..and it would be WHITE..or a shade of white...i wanted COLOR blues, reds, greens..so i guess thats where my need for color comes into play.. :p

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by Big Fire Chief@Dec 16 2002, 08:36 PM
no difference davey...once the cold cold COLD blooded animal gets all warm and fuzzy..the whole bottom of the boards stay steamin ..id say within 10-15 min..they will be snow melting worthy for ur biggest powder busts or carvin
BFC,

Thats true. I havent drove mine in a lot of powder yet since there ist much snow yet, buti know it melts off and doesnt ice up and i love that! way better than beaking the ice off the running boards on my old mxz 600 i hated that! and it had holes in the runningf boards and i would get all wet when water crossing!

·
Registered
772 Posts
opps..that post was for you davey..not slider...just ready ur post heading with his name haha..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts