Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm fairly new to the sport and not very knowledgeable about sleds in general. I have some questions about my sled and why things are happening.
Well lets get started First off the sled is a 97 Ultra spx with 4000 miles on it I've had the watter pump serviced as somebody on here suggested. Otherwise I just rode the sled as I bought it. Well that was silly because I was racing with my farther across a pond and the track came apart. Well It did not mess up the heaT exchangers too bad as I locked the track up. I have bought a Kimpex Shot gun track with 96 picks it is being installed now. The fella that is installing the track said it needs a clutch as the face on the eng side has a 1/4 inch hole on it. So while the clutch is apart is there a clutch kit that would work well with the sled?? or anything I can do to it to make it better :D

and after all that it seems to be wicked boggy i guess is the word?? till like 5900 or so rpm what can I do to take care of this??? by the way I like to go fast what can I do? lol Thanks for any help ride safe Cheers

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Gear it lower 22/40. Make sure the exhaust is sealed, including the outlet in the bellypan. Use ultra black to seal it. Use shim #7555764 under the tailpipe donuts to keep the springs tight. Make sure the mechanical carb sync is right on. It can be jetted down 2 sizes from stock, and you must run 91 octane fuel at a minimum. Use a 3211075 belt, with the primary shimmed properly for .020" clearance. The cheapest improvement to the clutching, would be 10-58 weights, and a silver/blue secondary, with an R12 polaris helix. Other helixes will work, but that will be the least $. Replace the almond primary spring with a new one. Have the clutch alignment checked, both engine torque stops set tight, no gap, and remove the windage plates from the secondary clutch.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Couple more questions... the gearing what is stock and what will 22/40 do, make it faster or slower?[/b]
it will be faster out of the hole helping with the boggy feeling but may lose a little top speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So where do I find the gears for this sled? The dealership said that they do not have the 22\40 gears for that sled :C

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting so i need 22-40 gears from say an 98 xc 700 and the corresponding chain ?

So I put a new chain on today the one that broke did not break the case thank god! So I went ahead and put the r-11 helix in with the silver blue on third hole and oh my quite a bit of difference in throttle response. compared to the stock helix it pulls quite hard from a dig and fairly good from the midrange but not so much up top. Still looking for an r-12 but coming up dry for now..... Thanks for all the info pockets you have been a big help so far as I'm still holding off my friends yami SRX one of thees days he is going to figure somthing out to get around me but till then... I cannot wait till this summer to give her a good going over and fix some of the minor stuff and clean her up. This sled stuff is almost as bad as bikes lol

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Yes, gears from most every 98-08 sled. Put the secondary in #2, no need to be in #3. That will help up top. What rpm does it run? You want 83-8500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts