Hardcore Sledder banner

hey boat guys bought a boat best safe winter ize

3K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  too slow 
#1 ·
yep took the other kill my wallet challenge, gonna need to do winterize soon whats the best does n donts

#3 ·
Once i pull my boat out, and pull all the drain plugs, i'll power wash all the scum ff that has built up all spring, summer and fall with starbrite hull cleaner, or slimy grimy. After its good and clean clean, it gets the tech shine treatment.
Outboard engine gets the lower unit gear oil change, plus the spark plugs are pulled and cylinders fogged...btw this is a 2 stroke, but i've do the same for a 4 stroke. I go over greasing the zerks related to the steering mech. If all looks ok from there its in the garage to sleep another winter.

#11 ·
Put fuel stabilizer in it and run it for a bit to get it in the entire fuel system.
Lower the sterndrive and change the gearlube noting if it's milky or water is present.
Pull the engine and exhaust manifold drain plugs and drain all the water out of the block and exhaust manifolds. I always run a screwdriver into the drain holes to break up any debris that might block the water from draining and then cracking the block.
You could put the plugs back in and run RV antifreeze into the cooling system via the lower unit water intake if you had a bucket with a pump hooked up, but not necessary. Just remember to put the drain plugs in before you run it next year.

#16 ·
Run the boat up to temp on the muffs ensuring that the thermostat would be open, switch the antifreeze until it spews pink out the exhaust. Pull block and manifold drains and to be safe I pull the lowest hose off circulating pump, oil cooler and raw water pump (if it’s a bravo boat). Always run a small screw driver or something similar up the drains to ensure they are clear.
I leave the plugs out for the winter time personally.
There is so many different ways to do it that everyone’s way will be a little different I’m sure, but most will work just fine. The antifreeze is more so to displace the water and flush it out rather than to replace the water so it doesn’t sit all winter. I personally like to have nothing sitting in the block. Air doesn’t freeze, and what little bit of antifreeze is still in there, you won’t have to worry about.

#18 ·
When your engine has been warned up it would be a good time to change engine oil and filter. Acids in the dirty oil eches the
Crank bearings during long term storage.
Gear oil is easier to change after engine has warned up. Fuel filter/water separator should be changed. If fuel injected a little 2stroke oil in the fuel module when filter is being changed. If it has a carburetor fog the engine.
Grease gimbal bearing if it has a grease zert for it.

#19 ·
I pull the drain plugs on the sides of the block. Use a stiff wire and twist it around in the plug hole to help drain all the water out of the block. Put the plugs back in. I also pull the drain plugs that are on the hoses under the exhaust manifolds. I then pull the large hose off the top of the thermostat housing and pour in RV antifreeze to fill the block with antifreeze. This will dilute any leftover water that may be trapped in the block and prevent the block from cracking. I tryed to just drain it one year without adding the antifreeze, Must not have gotten all the water out. The water that was left blew the freeze plugs and cracked the block. Lucky I was able to fix it with JB Weld and new frost plugs. That was 15 years ago. Still holding today. Never had an issue after I began using Anitfreeze.

#20 ·
Also don’t for get to drain the exhaust. Most boats have 4 plugs. The reason you drain the block again is so you don’t forget and blow anti freeze into the lake on the first time out because you forgot. There is also nothing to drain on the lower unit. Just change the lube into to make sure there is no water in it. And don’t forget you fill the drive from the lower hole until it comes out the top hole.

#27 ·
Star tron in tank first step. Then run the boat on muffs with water and get it completely warmed up first so thermostat opens. Drain block , drain manifolds. Stick a pick in holes and make sure all the water comes out. Put plugs back in and hook up your tank of -50 RV Anti freeze the pink stuff to the muffs and run her till the pink comes out the exhaust. When you see that if its Carb slowly pour some fogging oil in till she fogs... If its MPI I dont fog at all personally.

Done it that way for 20 years on 100s of boats never had a cracked block.

#31 ·
Got skunked yesterday fishing 😒
Hubby caught a smallie and a brown and some perch. Caught on a perch colored jointed shad rap. 6' test on the ultralight.

Might head up to East Twin next weekend. Too Slow lmk what you're using for the Kokanee and I'll order some set ups. I know you posted what you're using before but I can't find the post...

#32 ·
Was out wed. morning, no kokanee on any of my 7 different rigged rods. I switched over to my trout 2.5 mag lip bleeding frogs, and panther martin spinners around 10 am. Within an hr. caught a bunch of trout....all small 10'' browns. Really no perch anymore at east twin,except little guys now. The asian's have seen to that. Its strictly a trout management lake. As far as kokanee gotta go late at night for best results. They haven't been hitting any of my stuff anyway's, all i see is trout. Been out fishing several times for them, been extremely sparse catching them during the day. On the other hand, the place is loaded with trout, mostly browns right now. As far as smallmouths, there's a few by the castle side of the lake....i caught one not long ago, and a 4 lb one last year. I rarely fish for them, but there's a few....better chance of catching a largemouth.

#33 ·
👍
My fil said kokanee love corn. And tunafish as well as the usual maggots and dyed shrimp.

A friend caught a couple a few weeks back he said using a downrigger.
Went to Bantam lake Saturday and had fish boiling all around us.

My husband lost a pike right at the boat😒

#34 ·
Yeah i use a down rigger with spinner rigs, and with dodgers tipped with different kokanee soft plastics and a large white kernel of canned corn treated in different scents. None seemed effective lately. Last year you could see them on the surface bubbling, not so this season. I've been able to catch a couple here, and there, but nothing like years before. If anything i keep catching trout on the same stuff. I couldn't believe how many small browns were hitting my lines. Lake is loaded with them. You just get your line out there, and within a feet feet you snag a trout. Its been like that all spring and summer...mostly rainbows in the spring, and early summer, browns now.

#35 ·
Heading out later to Bantam Lake. Gonna run the perch color lure that my husband was killin' um on.
Lake is nice without all the skiers on it.
Hubby lost a nice Pike right at the boat😒
I'll PM you if we make it up your way this weekend.

Attachments

#36 ·
I haven't fished for pike in quite sometime. They get pretty lazy late in summer from my experience with them. I'm going try, and get out for a morning on the lake here next week if the wind, and weather dictate. We can get some pretty nasty wind with ocean like white caps, and it can happen just like that. Seems the fish like it, but when your the only guy running the boat with fishing rods out trolling, and snag a fish it can be a challenge on a day like that with the currents this lake has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.