Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 Thundercat has no spark, but when you go to pull it over the headlight flashes....any takes?

-Thanks

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
the ignition part of the stator is seperate from the lighting coil so even if the ignition part goes bad the head lights can still try and light when you pull it over. i would look for bad wires or connections first, then the coils then the cdi box then the stator

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Kill switch depressed? Key switch defective?
Try bypassing the TSS . There is a plug under the padding on the handlebars. Unplug it and see if that does anything. Usually when a stator goes it acts up when the machine is hot and then it runs boggy, but is still gives spark...usually Make sure all the wires to the coils are on tight, and check the main harness by the top of the recoil.

·
Registered
181 Posts
check the resistance on the ignition side, suposed to be 450 ohlms, and 25 on the lighting side. Stator is a common problem, just replaced #2 on my 99 tcat......

'99 Thundercat has no spark, but when you go to pull it over the headlight flashes....any takes?

-Thanks[/b]

·
Registered
976 Posts
check the resistance on the ignition side, suposed to be 450 ohlms, and 25 on the lighting side. Stator is a common problem, just replaced #2 on my 99 tcat......[/b]
I took mine in to a dealer, after my Recoil grenaded inside and the sled quit, changed the recoil and no spark or headlights, when pulled. I didn't want to mess around buying expensive parts to troubleshoot, so I took it into the local dealer up north, and he's been fumbling around with it for weeks to no avail. He says the stator is good and timing sensor is good but I'm not sure I believe this, now he's talking about borrowing a CDI from someone to test. Is there any way I can tell the difference between a dead stator or CDI, I might as well just go pick the sled up, and parts swap myself. No electrical anywhere, to me indicates the stator is dead, not a CDI problem, and the recoil assembly grenaded inside by the stator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts