Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I’d have no issues at all buying an electric sled once they get the range up to being the same as a gas sled. As long as the weight is similar what’s not to like?
Price! No batteries exist yet to do what you want and I don't know, 100 other issues that will not be addressed like charging. Not like driving along an interstate (which I never do.. I take the local roads to every place. Cant see the country on an interstate)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Id rather see them build a hybrid before 100% electric model. Backup gas engine even if it was only 40hp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Price! No batteries exist yet to do what you want and I don't know, 100 other issues that will not be addressed like charging. Not like driving along an interstate (which I never do.. I take the local roads to every place. Cant see the country on an interstate)
chances are battery tech will continue to improve and make electric sleds comparable to gas sleds. KTM has an electric dirt bike that has pretty decent performance and Alta made an MX bike that could compete with gas bikes but they went out of business. The ideal solution to quick refueling is to make the batteries swappable just like cordless tools. As the batteries continue to get lighter, smaller and more energy dense a guy could just strap a spare on the back of his tunnel like a gas can (unless you’re riding a baler) problem solved.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Who is? Elon Musk loving idiots?
Like it or not, this is the future of our sport and the future of all things automotive and powersports. Coming in here and expressing your displeasure and that you don't want one isn't going to change that. All the manufacturers who want to survive will buy into it because its the way of the future and it will be how they will keep their company alive. Or they'll end up like Kodak who could've been the digital photography kings, a technology they invented, but decided to stick with film and now they're nothing of what they were.

Of course the ICE is better than EV right now, its got over 100 year head start. But EV development needs to start somewhere. Obviously there's inherent issues with battery life, but the 60 miles is hell of a lot further than the first ICE sleds they built. I'd like to see you try to get a 150 mile day out of one of the first ICE sleds or even a 150 mile week for that matter.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Like it or not, this is the future of our sport and the future of all things automotive and powersports. Coming in here and expressing your displeasure and that you don't want one isn't going to change that. All the manufacturers who want to survive will buy into it because its the way of the future and it will be how they will keep their company alive. Or they'll end up like Kodak who could've been the digital photography kings, a technology they invented, but decided to stick with film and now they're nothing of what they were.

Of course the ICE is better than EV right now, its got over 100 year head start. But EV development needs to start somewhere. Obviously there's inherent issues with battery life, but the 60 miles is hell of a lot further than the first ICE sleds they built. I'd like to see you try to get a 150 mile day out of one of the first ICE sleds or even a 150 mile week for that matter.
We will both be dead before EV's take over. That's my point. Back when I started sledding. 100 miles was what we did. 1969 panther. Gas stations were and still are all around. Again, where are you going to charge your EV sled? No resort is going to dump what probably is going way North of 100,000 on charging stations. Mostly because of no room. Pull head out and breathe. Never going to be main stream! Wont work for 95% of sledders.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We will both be dead before EV's take over. That's my point. Back when I started sledding. 100 miles was what we did. 1969 panther. Gas stations were and still are all around. Again, where are you going to charge your EV sled? No resort is going to dump what probably is going way North of 100,000 on charging stations. Mostly because of no room. Pull head out and breathe. Never going to be main stream! Wont work for 95% of sledders.
What do sledders care as long as they can get their ride in? Less maintenance and moving parts to worry about means more reliability.

Charging stations will need to be implemented, but unlike the gas counter parts electric is on tap 24/7. Nobody needs to come refuel the station, no need to hazardous storage so stations can be just about anywhere, and no body needs to man them because its not a huge fire risk. I actuallythink short of really remote areas, youre not going to have youre typical gas station. Why would you if the parking lots you regularly use has juice on tap. Hell the new supermarkets are installing them.

Dont like it, fine you dont have to be here. Youre 53 years old, arguing over an communication tool that didnt even exist when you were my age. The fact of the matter is this is the future of the industry and its not going to wait for your approval for companies to invest into it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think if you handed Jim a $50 bill; he’d complain that it was the wrong shade of green, and wouldn’t stop until the rest of the world saw it from his point of view.

Most problems don’t go away if you ignore them...but some do.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think if you handed Jim a $50 bill; he’d complain that it was the wrong shade of green, and wouldn’t stop until the rest of the world saw it from his point of view.

Most problems don’t go away if you ignore them...but some do.
No. I gladly take money but to say that EV sleds are going to work in the real world is a Joke. I just read an article on Harleys Live wire. 70 miles range at 65-70 mph. Well over 500 lbs. Sleds are way less efficient and again, when you are out in the woods, where are you going to charge it? Charging stations cost big time bucks. $50,000 and up. I know of zero resorts that will be willing to put that kind of money up. Just pointing out facts. Range in cold weather is greatly diminished and going with a larger battery will add weight cost, fun. Dreaming of having a removable battery to exchange on the trail? Sure. Thats going to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I have no issues with electric vehicles (as an electric forklift mechanic I actually find it pretty interesting) and think that they make perfect sense for cars and motorcycles. Due to their efficiency i actually think motorcycles are the perfect application for electric motors. Snowmobiles on the other hand are so inefficient and have so much drag that its going be alot harder to make it work in a way that will please most sledders.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No. I gladly take money but to say that EV sleds are going to work in the real world is a Joke. I just read an article on Harleys Live wire. 70 miles range at 65-70 mph. Well over 500 lbs. Sleds are way less efficient and again, when you are out in the woods, where are you going to charge it? Charging stations cost big time bucks. $50,000 and up. I know of zero resorts that will be willing to put that kind of money up. Just pointing out facts. Range in cold weather is greatly diminished and going with a larger battery will add weight cost, fun. Dreaming of having a removable battery to exchange on the trail? Sure. Thats going to happen.
The Harley bike is a first generation technology, you want something from somebody with multiple iterations because this is an ongoinfg development. Look at Zero Motorcycles. First models built in 2012 were the S and DS models packing 100 miles on a charge. Now they make models were you can go up to 220 miles on a single charge. With all the effort being put into developing a high capacity, quick charging battery, i wouldn't be surprised to see this number increase significantly over the next 10 years.

A portion of snowmobile inefficiency is due to the CVT transmission. Esleds eliminate the need for that, they're direct drive.

You know zero resorts willing to do that? You obviously dont know business very well. When electric becomes more mainstream, there will be places to charge and swap batteries. Gas used be a solvent just sold at the hardware store so you know. Supply and demand was a thing, thus gas stations. $50,000 for a few charging stations, theyll be all over that. Do you know the cost of installation, permitting, maintenace, insurance, and delivery of gasoline? It well exceeds $50,000. It would be well worth there investment to install mutiple charging ports, and to maintain service to any and all clients. Thats the definition of the customer is always right.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Yes the clutches are definitely responsible for a portion of the inefficiency for sure but not most of it. If your motorcycle runs out of gas anybody here could probably push it a mile or more if they needed to to get to a gas station. Now try that with a sled you better hope that gas station is within a few yards.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Harley bike is a first generation technology, you want something from somebody with multiple iterations because this is an ongoinfg development. Look at Zero Motorcycles. First models built in 2012 were the S and DS models packing 100 miles on a charge. Now they make models were you can go up to 220 miles on a single charge. With all the effort being put into developing a high capacity, quick charging battery, i wouldn't be surprised to see this number increase significantly over the next 10 years.

A portion of snowmobile inefficiency is due to the CVT transmission. Esleds eliminate the need for that, they're direct drive.

You know zero resorts willing to do that? You obviously dont know business very well. When electric becomes more mainstream, there will be places to charge and swap batteries. Gas used be a solvent just sold at the hardware store so you know. Supply and demand was a thing, thus gas stations. $50,000 for a few charging stations, theyll be all over that. Do you know the cost of installation, permitting, maintenace, insurance, and delivery of gasoline? It well exceeds $50,000. It would be well worth there investment to install mutiple charging ports, and to maintain service to any and all clients. Thats the definition of the customer is always right.
You just answered your own questions. Bikes big miles are city/ highway. Sleds do neither. When electric becomes mainstream? Every resort or bar I know already has gas. Next to ZERO electric outlets outside. Electric will never catch on here. You run out of juice in the woods, you are screwed. Gas sleds can carry extra gas. You are not going to find a pine tree charger anywhere.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You just answered your own questions. Bikes big miles are city/ highway. Sleds do neither. When electric becomes mainstream? Every resort or bar I know already has gas. Next to ZERO electric outlets outside. Electric will never catch on here. You run out of juice in the woods, you are screwed. Gas sleds can carry extra gas. You are not going to find a pine tree charger anywhere.
Oh wow, ZERO outlets outside?!!! What a bunch of dummies. Who designs something like that? Its not like they can't add a couple services on a meter outside, especially when you can make money off your clientele to charge their vehicles.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
How much do you think it costs to put in a gas pump these days?
Did you ever stop to think that there might be state or federal grants and loans available to implement charging stations?The manufacturers might even need to get involved financially to implement sleds going mainstream.You're 53 years old?....thats only a couple years older than me so why are you as stubborn as an 80 yr old?Do you use a cel phone thats bolted to the floor of your car with a big whip antenna bolted to the roof?.....shit changes and someday electric sleds might make the sleds we ride now seem like slow junk.Have you seen the 15 to 1700hp electric cars?The technology is there its just a matter of mass producing to bring the cost down on all the electric stuff.Maybe you remember how electric power tools were junk not that long ago but now some electric impact wrenches will outpower most of their pneumatic rivals....it just takes time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just finished brushing out a short section of trail using a (gasp!) electric, cordless chainsaw. I didn’t have to wear headphones or ear plugs, no smoke, no pull starting it over and over and no packing in extra gas and oil. Is my current cordless saw better than my gas saw, no, but it does compliment it very nicely for small jobs and worked great for what I needed. I went through two batteries, had another two in the truck. The chain turns so much more slowly on the electric saw that it doesn’t go through bar oil like my gas saw. It’s lighter, just pull the trigger and it runs, very convenient.

Charging electric sleds won’t be a big deal as the technology advances. With an electric car, most people just charge it at night after they park it and rarely have to do anything else. Electric cars are not yet to the point where you are going to have an easy time making a long road trip but for 95% of the driving I do, they’d work just fine. I don’t mind if autos and power sports go towards electric at all. I’m looking forward to it.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts