Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
924 Posts
Ahh - Steam powered cars were not powered by water.

You had to burn fuel (usually alcohol) to heat the water, which pushed pistons to move the car. Similar technology to a steam train, just don't burn coal. Steam power has upsides, high torque, quiet, reliable. And downsides - you have to light the fire and build up a head of steam before you can move, and that pesky open flame...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ahh - Steam powered cars were not powered by water.

You had to burn fuel (usually alcohol) to heat the water, which pushed pistons to move the car. Similar technology to a steam train, just don't burn coal. Steam power has upsides, high torque, quiet, reliable. And downsides - you have to light the fire and build up a head of steam before you can move, and that pesky open flame...
I should have elaborated lol sorry. With hybrid technology we could have a hybrid steam powered car. Electric to start and heat the water to create steam. Once you got steam it switches over to steam. And kenetic enery to charge the batteries again.

I was in a group to think of a newly powered car and thats what we came up with. Just thought about it. Not did it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Your assumptions highlight your lack of intelligence. Procross has a 9.4 gallon tank, 150mi means 15.95mpg--this assumes you can get every drop. Having ONLY 1 gal in reserve means 17.85mpg. If you get that out of your 600 my 11 year old on his sno scoot will be faster. Glad you enjoy that.

To keep this on topic, at some point, e-sleds will be viable. For many users they can be today. I can tell you first hand from working with battery development companies that big changes are coming. Enough to make an e-car viable for way more users which will have the same effect on power sports. Personally I don't care the technology underneath me if it provides the best overall experience. ie, if it is lighter, faster, quicker, and has enough range bring it on.
My 600's hold almost 12 gallons. Two stroke tank is 11.7 gallon tank (10.6) rated.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not quite on topic, as this is the new truck coming out next year from Workhorse, but electric vehicle (all types) are the future gentlemen....imo of course.

Pic of the truck and some details.....

Truck has 250 mile range.
Estimated fuel savings in a year is 75%.
Maintenance costs I believe they estimated to be 58% cost saving.
An 8yr, 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, they say this is a conservative estimate.
600 hp.
True 4 wheel drive with hub motors, no wasted energy.
Large crumple zone in front, or for tools etc...
Performed well in snow, ice, salt etc.
7,500 lb. towing capacity.
240 volt power tool outlet.
Fleet management technology software available.

Battery technology is developing at a rapid rate, and we will all be the beneficiary of it....soon....including in sleds...again imo.

I’ve made a major investment in this stock, including options, and I believe they are going to announce this company is going to get the contract for next generation postal vehicles next week, or very soon.

Check out how this stock has soared this year. WKHS, and DPHC.
Shareholders are voting October 22nd to take the stock public, which they will under ticker symbol RIDE.

I’ve also made investments in Hyliion, which just went public, and has not done well......yet...I believe they will. This company is manufacturing heavy duty trucks (semis). Young man that started this company is already a billionaire.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I’d say the majority of riders aren’t doing 250+ mile days. I have rode with a few guys that do 100 Maybe 150 miles max and there done some due to age or past injuries and some that just don’t like riding for 10-12hrs. Do your 150 miles go back to the cabin plug it in and let it charge over night every cabin has a outlet to charge it. My boss never used a high speed charge with his electric car it always got plugged into a normal outlet over night and during the day. I think it’ll catch on for that type rider crowd and hopefully range gets better and people like our group who like big mile days get a good option down the road for electric. I think the Debbie downers on electric have never driven a electric anything some of the Tesla’s I’ve been in are pretty freakin impressive as far as acceleration even the leaf I’ve driven wasn’t bad.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
that truck is ugly but i like the fact that the electric sled does not need snow to keep it cool.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I’d say the majority of riders aren’t doing 250+ mile days. I have rode with a few guys that do 100 Maybe 150 miles max and there done some due to age or past injuries and some that just don’t like riding for 10-12hrs. Do your 150 miles go back to the cabin plug it in and let it charge over night every cabin has a outlet to charge it. My boss never used a high speed charge with his electric car it always got plugged into a normal outlet over night and during the day. I think it’ll catch on for that type rider crowd and hopefully range gets better and people like our group who like big mile days get a good option down the road for electric. I think the Debbie downers on electric have never driven a electric anything some of the Tesla’s I’ve been in are pretty freakin impressive as far as acceleration even the leaf I’ve driven wasn’t bad.
Current battery tech you are not going to get 100-150 miles on a charge and plugging a car into a 110 outlet gives you maybe 1-2 miles per hour range. Great stuff though. Tesla may be fast but just read another horror story of a brand new model Y losing is roof on the ride home. Great quality.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Current battery tech you are not going to get 100-150 miles on a charge and plugging a car into a 110 outlet gives you maybe 1-2 miles per hour range. Great stuff though. Tesla may be fast but just read another horror story of a brand new model Y losing is roof on the ride home. Great quality.
current zero motorcycle tech will get you 100-150 mile range. The bikes are rated at 223 mile range so account for cold and probably more throttle happiness I don’t see a issue getting 100 mile range maybe up to 150. The tech is here and just getting better every day.

I don’t have experience with charge times on anything but a Tesla and leaf. The leaf my boss would plug in at 5pm and it was charged by the start of the work day next morning. This was on a regular outlet not 220 granted it wasn’t completely dead most of the time maybe 20-25% life left.

I know all about Tesla’s shit quality I’ve worked on several and just a couple weeks ago a lady stopped by with a brand spanking new model x every single panel was a different shade of pearl white. The body lines were hideous so bad it was causing wind noise. She wasn’t happy at all and was bringing it back after she got our expert opinion on the paint/body issues. There no different than any other car company they all got issues and recalls and hell some have been doing it close to 100yrs longer than Tesla and still haven’t figured it out.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
current zero motorcycle tech will get you 100-150 mile range. The bikes are rated at 223 mile range so account for cold and probably more throttle happiness I don’t see a issue getting 100 mile range maybe up to 150. The tech is here and just getting better every day.

I don’t have experience with charge times on anything but a Tesla and leaf. The leaf my boss would plug in at 5pm and it was charged by the start of the work day next morning. This was on a regular outlet not 220 granted it wasn’t completely dead most of the time maybe 20-25% life left.

I know all about Tesla’s shit quality I’ve worked on several and just a couple weeks ago a lady stopped by with a brand spanking new model x every single panel was a different shade of pearl white. The body lines were hideous so bad it was causing wind noise. She wasn’t happy at all and was bringing it back after she got our expert opinion on the paint/body issues. There no different than any other car company they all got issues and recalls and hell some have been doing it close to 100yrs longer than Tesla and still haven’t figured it out.

The range they give on bikes is in town, stop and go. Riding out away from that and it falls way lower. Throw in negative temps and you wont go 60 miles. Feel sorry for the early adapters. Not really. You deserve garbage when you go all in on unproven crap.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The range they give on bikes is in town, stop and go. Riding out away from that and it falls way lower. Throw in negative temps and you wont go 60 miles. Feel sorry for the early adapters. Not really. You deserve garbage when you go all in on unproven crap.
zero claims 112 highway miles. The only electric sled I’ve seen claims 140km which is like 87 miles. The point was 100 mile range is here and I’m sure that will appeal to a decent amount of riders. They gotta start somewhere it may not appeal to you or me but I don’t think it’s a half bad start. Like I said previously many people don’t even put on 100 miles a day. If that was you why wouldn’t you consider electric a option if everything else was equal including price.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
zero claims 112 highway miles. The only electric sled I’ve seen claims 140km which is like 87 miles. The point was 100 mile range is here and I’m sure that will appeal to a decent amount of riders. They gotta start somewhere it may not appeal to you or me but I don’t think it’s a half bad start. Like I said previously many people don’t even put on 100 miles a day. If that was you why wouldn’t you consider electric a option if everything else was equal including price.
It's not and I would say it will not in my sledding life. I'm 53. Miles are all that matter to me. I plan on riding until I die and will never buy an EV ANYTHING!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
accessory range extender is a running generator strapped to the tunnel?

in other news, I'm looking at a propane powered outboard for the aluminum boat we keep at the cottage because the high tech Torqueedo's are still quite expensive in comparison. check out Outboards - Electric motors - Torqeedo

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
accessory range extender is a running generator strapped to the tunnel?

in other news, I'm looking at a propane powered outboard for the aluminum boat we keep at the cottage because the high tech Torqueedo's are still quite expensive in comparison. check out Outboards - Electric motors - Torqeedo
My father had a Torqeedo for his sailboat tender/dingy. It was heavy and expensive and didn't last very long in the salt conditions. He's gone back to a 2.5hp 4 stroke with an onboard tank and couldn't be happier. I can't even say the word "Torqeedo" around him or he will get angry. Said it's the worst money he ever spent at West Marine.

My only experience with propane are some guys I know that got ice augers that use propane motors. They were real popular for like 2 or 3 years and then electric augers really just stole the show completely. The propane augers are like 45lbs without fuel where the electrics are about 15lbs with the battery. Now you see people trying to sell their propane augers for pennies on the dollar. I would wait for a while on buying a propane outboard because I would bet you will see a lot more options from the big players with electrics soon.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
My father had a Torqeedo for his sailboat tender/dingy. It was heavy and expensive and didn't last very long in the salt conditions. He's gone back to a 2.5hp 4 stroke with an onboard tank and couldn't be happier. I can't even say the word "Torqeedo" around him or he will get angry. Said it's the worst money he ever spent at West Marine.

My only experience with propane are some guys I know that got ice augers that use propane motors. They were real popular for like 2 or 3 years and then electric augers really just stole the show completely. The propane augers are like 45lbs without fuel where the electrics are about 15lbs with the battery. Now you see people trying to sell their propane augers for pennies on the dollar. I would wait for a while on buying a propane outboard because I would bet you will see a lot more options from the big players with electrics soon.
interesting as my Canadian friends that run them have had reasonably good luck and one of our friends uses one on his sailboat in Lake Michigan.

ever-changing and advancing technology obviously has it's complications, sadly the customers are the guinea pigs - like the first year Polaris 850 customers.
Hitler finds out about the Polaris 850

·
Registered
2019 Polaris XC 850
1,022 Posts
Weight, cost, range, battery replacement & longevity, time to recharge, where to recharge. Next.
Maybe run them on wind or solar.
Get the fuck out.
Oh, and NEVER ride one without a "Mask"............

·
Registered
242 Posts
I remember friends who said

I will never spend the extra for radial tires, bias ply is fine
I will never buy a truck with fuel injection - to complex, my carburetor is just fine
Who needs or wants to carry a cell phone everywhere they go?
Backup cameras are a waste of money. I have mirrors, and can turn around to look behind me

Sometimes, we just need to wait a bit get used to the idea, and let the technology mature a bit.
I know what you mean. I’m old enough to have seen it in many areas. Also-

Disc brakes-“When they lock up they don’t release, I’ll never buy a car them”. (Actual quote).

Electronic ignition- points work just fine.

ABS- I can stop faster without it.

And yet technology marched on and most folks accept that these things are indeed better.

The bigger question might be, will snowmobiling still be a thing by the time the technology matures? Off topic for this I know. But with the way sales have been falling, less participation in clubs, I wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’d have no issues at all buying an electric sled once they get the range up to being the same as a gas sled. As long as the weight is similar what’s not to like?

41 - 60 of 114 Posts