Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

Registered
Plenty of electric motorcycles and nobody gives a shit ..
Electric Snowmobiles have a long road ahead of them.
They still build 2 strokes in 2021 馃槅
We were told years ago everything would be four stroke by now.

Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
I remember friends who said

I will never spend the extra for radial tires, bias ply is fine
I will never buy a truck with fuel injection - to complex, my carburetor is just fine
Who needs or wants to carry a cell phone everywhere they go?
Backup cameras are a waste of money. I have mirrors, and can turn around to look behind me

Sometimes, we just need to wait a bit get used to the idea, and let the technology mature a bit.

Registered
You must really not go anywhere. I usually ride 150 to 200 miles a day. My sleds can go for about 150 before I need gas. 5 minutes and back on the trail. Electric would be getting towed out of woods. Sounds like a fun day for you.
You're one of those guys who can only see the world through your own glasses.
I do everything you just typed out there, and a whole lot more than that.

Premium Member
It all comes down to energy storage. If there is a breakthrough in how we store energy then electric sleds may become a viable mainstream alternative. Till then they will be niche alternative.

Registered
It all comes down to energy storage. If there is a breakthrough in how we store energy then electric sleds may become a viable mainstream alternative. Till then they will be niche alternative.
Exactly! Rental in Yellowstone and maybe ice fishing. Other than that in the real world, not going to be many takers with current battery tech and absolutely zero charging where we ride.

Registered
You're one of those guys who can only see the world through your own glasses.
I do everything you just typed out there, and a whole lot more than that.
My point is with existing tech, you are not going to be able to. No charging in the woods unless you have figured out the pine tree plug in. Not one place we stop around my area could handle the space for charging either.

Registered
Existing changes quickly. Battery tech is about to take a great leap and 5x the storage would make a real difference.
You must really not go anywhere. I usually ride 150 to 200 miles a day. My sleds can go for about 150 before I need gas. 5 minutes and back on the trail. Electric would be getting towed out of woods. Sounds like a fun day for you.
Come on a real ride with us. You won't get 150mi before gas. No way, no how.

Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
No one disagrees that this is not viable for trail sleds TODAY. In the early 1900's, if you wanted to buy gas for your automobile, you went to a hardware store. Gasoline was a solvent in those days, not a fuel. There were no gas stations. If everyone thought the way you do back then, we would still be riding horses.

There are always early adopters for new technology, who are willing to figure out a way to make it work. Over time, the infrastructure catches up.

Registered
My point is with existing tech, you are not going to be able to. No charging in the woods unless you have figured out the pine tree plug in. Not one place we stop around my area could handle the space for charging either.
My point is not everybody does the same shit as you. Not everybody trail rides.
Just because something isn't right for Jim fucking Ramstad doesn't mean it's not worth doing

Registered
Existing changes quickly. Battery tech is about to take a great leap and 5x the storage would make a real difference.

Come on a real ride with us. You won't get 150mi before gas. No way, no how.
I like the way I ride. Wont ride with ass holes who probably cross to the wrong side of the trail on corners.

Registered
I like the way I ride. Wont ride with ass holes who probably cross to the wrong side of the trail on corners.
Your assumptions highlight your lack of intelligence. Procross has a 9.4 gallon tank, 150mi means 15.95mpg--this assumes you can get every drop. Having ONLY 1 gal in reserve means 17.85mpg. If you get that out of your 600 my 11 year old on his sno scoot will be faster. Glad you enjoy that.

To keep this on topic, at some point, e-sleds will be viable. For many users they can be today. I can tell you first hand from working with battery development companies that big changes are coming. Enough to make an e-car viable for way more users which will have the same effect on power sports. Personally I don't care the technology underneath me if it provides the best overall experience. ie, if it is lighter, faster, quicker, and has enough range bring it on.

Registered
An all electric class in racing could help bring excitement into the market for these sleds. Maybe 5 lap heats in sno cross, shorter xc routes, hillclimb events, or drag racing (ice, grass, tar and snow). Granted this would likely be far less entertaining than other classes, but could be a testing ground for the OEMs.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Registered
I think the company called Tiaga. They have an all electric sled. A few advantages. No oil, no chaincase, no belts, no gas. Just motor, battery and controller. They even water skipped it. Let it sink, and then drove it to shore on its own power. Any of you ever have a weekend ruined from someone swamping their sled over a creek or river? It doesnt happen all the time. But ev sled wouldnt be bothered by it.

It's not perfect and has alot of issues. Like range, especially cold. Where would you charge it? But after owning a battery powered lawn mower, which is great and better in all kinds of ways. My lawn mower can hold 2 batterys at once. When one battery dies you open the top, swap batterys and away you go. No need to walk back to the garage or wait for it to charge. If battery technology continues at its exponential rate. You wouldnt need to find a place to plug in the woods or hotel. You swap batteries. If your a weekend warrior like me, you only need one or two extra batteries (assuming a battery can do 120 miles a charge). Charge them throughout the week.

But of course that tech isn't exactly here yet to withstand the cold. But it will be. All you need is performance and cold range. The rest will be figured out.

Also just like my lawn mower, wouldnt it be awesome to store your sled standing up against the wall in the summer to save space? We cant do that now because of oil and gas. But my lawn mower has a foot pedal that lets it fold up in 3 seconds and even stands on its end with feet made to stand it up against the wall to save space.

Registered
I think the company called Tiaga. They have an all electric sled. A few advantages. No oil, no chaincase, no belts, no gas. Just motor, battery and controller. They even water skipped it. Let it sink, and then drove it to shore on its own power. Any of you ever have a weekend ruined from someone swamping their sled over a creek or river? It doesnt happen all the time. But ev sled wouldnt be bothered by it.

It's not perfect and has alot of issues. Like range, especially cold. Where would you charge it? But after owning a battery powered lawn mower, which is great and better in all kinds of ways. My lawn mower can hold 2 batterys at once. When one battery dies you open the top, swap batterys and away you go. No need to walk back to the garage or wait for it to charge. If battery technology continues at its exponential rate. You wouldnt need to find a place to plug in the woods or hotel. You swap batteries. If your a weekend warrior like me, you only need one or two extra batteries (assuming a battery can do 120 miles a charge). Charge them throughout the week.

But of course that tech isn't exactly here yet to withstand the cold. But it will be. All you need is performance and cold range. The rest will be figured out.

Also just like my lawn mower, wouldnt it be awesome to store your sled standing up against the wall in the summer to save space? We cant do that now because of oil and gas. But my lawn mower has a foot pedal that lets it fold up in 3 seconds and even stands on its end with feet made to stand it up against the wall to save space.
As closed minded as I am about this electric shit, taiga does have a jet ski that as much as I hate to admit, is a pretty viable toy. If you lived on a lake, obviously, in most cases, you could afford to pay to have the electric run down to the lake to be able to charge the ski. They aren't the fastest things on the water, but they aren't turds like the sleds are comparitive to other jet skis. Essentially no maintenance, 1 moving part, ok Performance. When I had jet skis, I would ride them a couple 3 hours total on a day. That is about how long the battery lasts. It can quick charge to 70% in 2 hours. If you had a cabin or lake home, that's about how long you may ride one anyhow.

Registered
As closed minded as I am about this electric shit, taiga does have a jet ski that as much as I hate to admit, is a pretty viable toy. If you lived on a lake, obviously, in most cases, you could afford to pay to have the electric run down to the lake to be able to charge the ski. They aren't the fastest things on the water, but they aren't turds like the sleds are comparitive to other jet skis. Essentially no maintenance, 1 moving part, ok Performance. When I had jet skis, I would ride them a couple 3 hours total on a day. That is about how long the battery lasts. It can quick charge to 70% in 2 hours. If you had a cabin or lake home, that's about how long you may ride one anyhow.
I didnt know they made electric jetskis. That is actually something that works. Way better than sleds.

As much fun as it is to imagine where or how electric sleds could work for us. Right now they just wont. Part of the fun is how far you can go. And how far it takes to get back. But if electric sleds are going to be a thought. These companies have to work on making them in order to advance them.

We were all close to having steam cars. Their problem was they were expensive, harder to maintain and gas just made things easier to people. So the advancments never advanced. Just dropped off. Imagine where it would be if they did take off and all kinds of smart minds advanced them. Filling your tank with water.

Them dabbling in and trying to advance the technology is a good thing.

Registered
I didnt know they made electric jetskis. That is actually something that works. Way better than sleds.

As much fun as it is to imagine where or how electric sleds could work for us. Right now they just wont. Part of the fun is how far you can go. And how far it takes to get back. But if electric sleds are going to be a thought. These companies have to work on making them in order to advance them.

We were all close to having steam cars. Their problem was they were expensive, harder to maintain and gas just made things easier to people. So the advancments never advanced. Just dropped off. Imagine where it would be if they did take off and all kinds of smart minds advanced them. Filling your tank with water.

Them dabbling in and trying to advance the technology is a good thing.
The Lester's reviewed it this summer. It's on YouTube. They also do summer toys too. As negative as I was when I saw the link, I still watched it. You can tell from his demeanor, that he is an engine guy, but had to be honest, and admit, it is viable. As did I

21 - 40 of 114 Posts