Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
There’s a great article about this on Jalopnik today, including an interview with Scott Wine of Polaris and Sam Paschel of Zero. We are in for some interesting times in the off-road market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm a fan of all the e powered stuff. I think sleds will be a tougher sell though from the temps they run in and the power they require and range needed. But they have to start somewhere. Will be cool to see how it goes and the progression.
Solis state is right around the corner.... charge as fast as you can pump gas and no cold problems or cooling problems to deal with.....they will be a game changer

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as a guy who recently sealed his driveway and spent 10 minutes trying to get the blower running, only to realize that i guess i'll just sweep it... I'm slowly converting everything over to electric. If they could come out with something with 100'ish mile range, i think it would be perfect for local riding/ditch banging. Especially if the weight is on the tunnel. I'll be interested in these for sure. It'll be fun to watch them develop.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Solis state is right around the corner.... charge as fast as you can pump gas and no cold problems or cooling problems to deal with.....they will be a game changer
This is what it would take for me. I burn 4 tanks of gas in a weekend, sometimes saddlebagging 500-600 miles in 2 days. Lotta days I am getting fuel with my helmet on and I'm gone in minutes.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,944 Posts
Agree @jethroxlt - 100 mile range isn't going to do anything for me. I'll be watching, but man, the sound of the motor revving is a big part of the sport for me. Then charging stations, whether it be solid state or not, will be a big factor. Guess time will tell, certainly will be interested to see if something good comes of the partnership.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree @jethroxlt - 100 mile range isn't going to do anything for me. I'll be watching, but man, the sound of the motor revving is a big part of the sport for me. Then charging stations, whether it be solid state or not, will be a big factor. Guess time will tell, certainly will be interested to see if something good comes of the partnership.
I should have mentioned i have 7 other sleds. ha ha. be interested in a 100 mile sled for local ditch banging.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,944 Posts
I should have mentioned i have 7 other sleds. ha ha. be interested in a 100 mile sled for local ditch banging.
I have 5 total, its nice to have a backup, to the backup.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thermodynamics is a harsh bitch and she never EVER gives out free lunches. Kevin Cameron from cycle world has great articles on the topic of electrification. A tesla model 3 weighs 40% more than a similarly sized BMW 3 series. A 700 pound snowmobile with probably half the range of gas. Maybe okay. But where are you going to charge it? There's barely enough gas stations on the trail. I can't imagine Bob's Trail Side BBQ getting huge wattage 3 phase power and 10 fast chargers installed in the middle of the woods. Batteries need to get better. They might, but there's no guarantee they will. People cite moors law and extrapolate that batteries are bound to improve like semi conductors. Moors law was grounded in reasonable expectations of what was possible. Battery tech is always looking, hoping and promising. Add to that buckets of money and grants and prestige in the industry. It's rife for lies and disappointment. I'm not holding my breath for an electric sled replacement in my lifetime. At least not one on par with gas.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm a fan of all the e powered stuff. I think sleds will be a tougher sell though from the temps they run in and the power they require and range needed. But they have to start somewhere. Will be cool to see how it goes and the progression.
Where are you going to charge them? A pine tree in the woods? Most resorts hardly can plug in there own cars on a cold night. Never going to go mainstream. I usually put on about 70 miles before my first stop. Would not even make it to my first destination. I'll do a HARD PASS!

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Where are you going to charge them? A pine tree in the woods? Most resorts hardly can plug in there own cars on a cold night. Never going to go mainstream. I usually put on about 70 miles before my first stop. Would not even make it to my first destination. I'll do a HARD PASS!
When people were still being pulled by horses I'm sure they could have said the same things about gasoline powered buggies.
The first airplane guy could have said well there's no other places to land.
Or any other new tech or new ways of doing things. The first cell phone was also nothing like the phones of today. Things progress but they all have to start somewhere you're just being a closed minded wet blanket. I also could not care less about mainstream. The snowmobile you ride isn't even mainstream inside an industry that isn't mainstream. Ffs.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
When people were still being pulled by horses I'm sure they could have said the same things about gasoline powered buggies.
The first airplane guy could have said well there's no other places to land.
Or any other new tech or new ways of doing things. The first cell phone was also nothing like the phones of today. Things progress but they all have to start somewhere you're just being a closed minded wet blanket. I also could not care less about mainstream. The snowmobile you ride isn't even mainstream inside an industry that isn't mainstream. Ffs.
Right now the one EV sled has a max range of 60 miles in perfect conditions. You ok with that?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts