Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you get from henniker to andover by sled? If so, how? are there any unsafe lakes blocking the trip?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Can you get from henniker to andover by sled? If so, how? are there any unsafe lakes blocking the trip?[/b]
I don't think you need to cross any lakes, at least not the way I would go. From Henniker you should be able to get over to the dam in West Hopkinton, then continue to Contoocook. Just before town there is a left that heads towards Andover. You will cross a suspention bridge and then you are in Andover. Henniker to Andover should be less than an hour and a half trip.

Be aware, it looks like the club in Henniker isn't doing a single thing this year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I not drop in henniker? The main thing here is that I want to ride andover/kearsage this sunday, where is the southernmost spot I should drop? Thats why I figured henniker, but if anyone has a better idea let me know. How is that area looking anyway? Any areas I should hit instead of andover/kearsage this sunday? I am looking to be within 2 hrs of leominster, or about 1.5 hrs from the MA border

·
Registered
828 Posts
Should I not drop in henniker? The main thing here is that I want to ride andover/kearsage this sunday, where is the southernmost spot I should drop? Thats why I figured henniker, but if anyone has a better idea let me know. How is that area looking anyway? Any areas I should hit instead of andover/kearsage this sunday? I am looking to be within 2 hrs of leominster, or about 1.5 hrs from the MA border[/b]
You could park at Mickey D's/ Demoulas parking lot in Warner. It is just below Mnt. Kearsage and the trail runs behind it. There used to be some parking at base gate for Kearsage auto road as well. I think its exit 8 or 9. Exit 5 is for Henniker so it is not much further.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Should I not drop in henniker? The main thing here is that I want to ride andover/kearsage this sunday, where is the southernmost spot I should drop? Thats why I figured henniker, but if anyone has a better idea let me know. How is that area looking anyway? Any areas I should hit instead of andover/kearsage this sunday? I am looking to be within 2 hrs of leominster, or about 1.5 hrs from the MA border[/b]
Do what I do in a pinch. Trailer up to Boscawen and ride the RR bed from there up North. It's off of Route 93 - exit 17. I've got a few threads here in the NH forum all about that area. You can also ride out of Manchester. Leave from Sandys store at Massabesic Lake and head North from there....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the last trail report on the hennikers club site was 04/07, so I am going to assume there is nothing good to report. So I am thinking dropping in Warner and joining the andover system sunday morning. Which trail connects the two systems?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can you get from henniker to andover by sled? If so, how? are there any unsafe lakes blocking the trip?[/b]

Gonna try to make that run tonight. Clough to Andover.

As for water crossings I think Stumpfield, Everitt flood control, and Elm Brook are the only issues. I will defiantly cross the lakes but I won't be slowing down either.

From Clough head towards the Hopkinton dam then Contoocook and follow the signs to Andover. From Henniker it's really the same thing. Let me know if you have any questions. Should be a pretty sweet ride, most clubs are grooming but you might run into a couple of rough sections, IE railroad bed after tookie. My back hurts just thinking about it. The pay off is when you get to Andover. Fast and flat.

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
216 Posts
You could park at Mickey D's/ Demoulas parking lot in Warner. It is just below Mnt. Kearsage and the trail runs behind it. There used to be some parking at base gate for Kearsage auto road as well. I think its exit 8 or 9. Exit 5 is for Henniker so it is not much further.[/b]

Good call. Exit 9 in Warner and avoid all the rough sections. MT K should be a sweet ride.

Tim

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call. Exit 9 in Warner and avoid all the rough sections. MT K should be a sweet ride.

Tim[/b]
thanks for the advice, i think that is what i am gonna do, it is another 10 miles past henniker to get to warner so I figure I'll just drive the extra 10

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Gonna try to make that run tonight. Clough to Andover.

As for water crossings I think Stumpfield, Everitt flood control, and Elm Brook are the only issues. I will defiantly cross the lakes but I won't be slowing down either.

From Clough head towards the Hopkinton dam then Contoocook and follow the signs to Andover. From Henniker it's really the same thing. Let me know if you have any questions. Should be a pretty sweet ride, most clubs are grooming but you might run into a couple of rough sections, IE railroad bed after tookie. My back hurts just thinking about it. The pay off is when you get to Andover. Fast and flat.

Later,
Tim[/b]
Funny, so are we! We will likely be seeing each other!

Going to be leaving my house right at the Clough and try to get to Kearsarge! I'll be on a blue 2002 Polaris Edge X with a red jacket and helmet. My real name is Geoff.

By the way, we rode the lakes north two nights ago to Contoocook (as we did three weeks ago) and they are absolutely fine. No fear of open water. Someone broke the trail off to the right of Stumpfield marsh, so you only need to cross Drew Lake and a tiny part of Stumpfield. No worries at all!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Going to be leaving my house right at the Clough and try to get to Kearsarge! I'll be on a blue 2002 Polaris Edge X with a red jacket and helmet. My real name is Geoff.

By the way, we rode the lakes north two nights ago to Contoocook (as we did three weeks ago) and they are absolutely fine. No fear of open water. Someone broke the trail off to the right of Stumpfield marsh, so you only need to cross Drew Lake and a tiny part of Stumpfield. No worries at all![/b]
weare huh? I go through there all the time on my way up to newbury, had my sled fixed at advantage last season, I guess I wont be going there anymore haha, my name is joshua, ill be riding a black MXZ and my dad will be on a blue pantera

how are the trails in weare? have you had a chance to ride henniker or sunapee yet? I rode them last season and it was terrible....but you didnt hear that from me....

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
weare huh? I go through there all the time on my way up to newbury, had my sled fixed at advantage last season, I guess I wont be going there anymore haha, my name is joshua, ill be riding a black MXZ and my dad will be on a blue pantera

how are the trails in weare? have you had a chance to ride henniker or sunapee yet? I rode them last season and it was terrible....but you didnt hear that from me....[/b]
The town of Weare and the Weare Winter Wanderers have had some sort of issue with the trail leaving Lake Horace towards Henniker, it's not going to be open this year. Everytime I go over to Henniker the trails suck to the high heavens. They have no club to speak of, and even when they did it was poorly run and no groomer in sight. We used to leave Weare and go eat breakfast at the Pancake House at the base of Pats Peak. Now to get to Henniker I would have to ride north to Hopkinton then south to Henniker. There is no point in doing that when the trails in Andover are so close. I've only made the trip to Sunapee from Weare once and the trails were brutal. I think you also have to cross the lake to make a complete loop.

Anyway, the trails in Weare have been pretty good in Clough State Park. Other areas have been groomed but have gotten some washout problems. We saw folks cutting limbs and fixing the washouts the other day. I would have helped but I had a group of 5 with me on a tour. I drive by Clough every morning and the groomer was out again last night. The trails should be beauty this weekend!

This is my machine, say hi if you see it!

·
Registered
216 Posts

By the way, we rode the lakes north two nights ago to Contoocook (as we did three weeks ago) and they are absolutely fine. No fear of open water. Someone broke the trail off to the right of Stumpfield marsh, so you only need to cross Drew Lake and a tiny part of Stumpfield. No worries at all![/b]

Hummm, maybe I'll try to leave from my house then. I live on Gorham Pond in Dunbarton but wasn't sure about the trail. Either way I'll be leaving clough around 6ish. I'll be on a blue Viper black helmet / gear. My bud will be a 02 Ski Doo renegade, yellow.

You live in the Park? Think I know you. You last name start with St

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Hummm, maybe I'll try to leave from my house then. I live on Gorham Pond in Dunbarton but wasn't sure about the trail. Either way I'll be leaving clough around 6ish. I'll be on a blue Viper black helmet / gear. My bud will be a 02 Ski Doo renegade, yellow.

You live in the Park? Think I know you. You last name start with St

Later,
Tim[/b]
I live on Bart Clough Road, I don't think we've met. My last name starts with Ta......

We may be a little behind you leaving at 7. Don't rip up those trails too bad with those high power machines!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When you cross the suspention bridge that's in Warner and the Kearasrge Club groomsthere to Kearsarge. Andover is a couple towns up on the other side of Kearsarge Mt

I don't think you need to cross any lakes, at least not the way I would go. From Henniker you should be able to get over to the dam in West Hopkinton, then continue to Contoocook. Just before town there is a left that heads towards Andover. You will cross a suspention bridge and then you are in Andover. Henniker to Andover should be less than an hour and a half trip.

Be aware, it looks like the club in Henniker isn't doing a single thing this year.[/b]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Boscawen or Franklin might be your best bet since you can access both sides of Kearsage relatively easily. Did Warner side last weekend (from Andover) and it was good except for multiple water holes. Certainly thats changed with the cold snap we've had. I've heard that the Andover side was nice last weekend also. Avoid going around through Sutton unless you want a challenge. It's a "goatpath".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts