Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of losing bad...2-4 sled lenghts on great Lake conditions to my buddy's 03 ZR 800EFI...I traded that sled in for this one and it isn't cutting it. I am going to do a compression test with F5SNOPRO tomorrow and I need to know the exact range both sides should show. This will be much appreciated.

I burn him off the line because he is unpicked, but then he waives to me about 500 ft in and I never even almost catch up. I have GPSed my sled (Post New Top End) at 114 and that was only b/c I ran out of room. I re-broke it in right...I run 89 Octane...I always warm it up...I have new plugs...I am at a loss...and frustrated.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Are both sled's stock other then stud's?U should have no proplem's with a stock zr 800.My buddy has a 01 800 studded...no proplem's beating him it is not even a race.One of my other freind's has a rx1..beat the crap out of him from a dead stop for about 1200 ft....HE WAS PISSED wanted to race from 50mph up...well we went from 50 to 104 on my speedo...i just kept pulling away..HE WAS REALLY PISSED THEN.lol

·
Registered
986 Posts
What gears u running ?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't know the exact range. SnoProG might have it in a performance manual. . . I'll ask him to look it up.

My F7 during some diagnostics was tested for compression and both cylinders were showing 140 PSI which the dealer said was fine. Hope that figure helps you a bit.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running Stock Gears...and stock clutching, etc.

The 03 ZR 800 EFI is bone stock.

I have had all the updates done, including new cylinders and Pistons, etc...as I said before I have had it GPSed at 114 since then...

I too raced and killed back to back to back to back an RX 1 two weeks ago on ice...we went from a dead stop twice and from 25 mph twice, and then he switched drivers and it was the same results...

I have never been able to beat my friend's ZR 800...Also, there is a big difference between the 01 ZR 800 Carbs and the 03 ZR 800 EFIs...the chassis is all new and a bit lighter I believe and the EFI is dynoing 140-142 HP and a solid 100+ lbs/trq...I know everyone is saying they are toasting them...hence my disapointment.

140 PSI is a help...I read someone else saying 138 or so...so I at least have a clue...any more help would be great...or anything else I should check...

·
Registered
614 Posts
The magic number is:

F7 6.49:1

F5 6.30:1

440 SP L/C 7.84:1

440 SP F/C 6.8:1

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, there seems to be no exact number in my perf manual. It only says that both cylinder readings should be within %10 of each other to be within tolerance. I hate when they do that. At least they could give a generalization.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had 137#'s both cylinders 6 full pulls. My one mistake was that I did not hold throttle wide open maybe would have been higher.I'll bring my gauge home from work in couple of weeks and try again.Just a thought scuffing will not show up with this test right away.Because it's the piston that is scuffed not the rings and it takes a while of the piston wobbling to cause the real damage. Then you will see your difference. I have to agree with snow pro g on that the snapon directions for my gauge says 15% is acceptable which would mean 137 and 117 numbers are fine which is crazy.I have a 20 year old sled also that 126#'s dead even with original piston and rings.So if you want longevity they better be closer then 10 or 15 percent.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,

Dana and I did a Compression test as follows:
1. Remove one spark plug and insert Snap On Test Unit
2. While he hold the throttle wide open I pull the rip cord about 5-6 times
until needle is fixed on gauge...both sides registered 151-153 PSI...

I am lost...I thought all the results were 138 +/-...

So we looked around and saw that my APV cables were routed above the cylinder Heads and kinked...his F5 has long smooth bends and the cable run below the cylinder heads...Can anyone post a pic of what their F7 APV cables look like without having had your top end replaced like I did...we are wondering if the dealer incorrectly routed the cables and as a result they kinked them something awful to make the way they routed them work...

Other than that...I am lost as to why my sled is losing out from the midrange on up...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by switta@Jan 29 2003, 09:35 PM
hey bosssho mine run like this a pic for ya
Switta,

Thanks...this is perfect...I took my pipe off tonight and i am going to look at everything tomorrow morning and with your pic I will have something to go by...thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts