Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 F7 is having massive clutch problems. I get, at best, 40 miles per belt. The sled has 330 mile and I have gone through 9 belts. It has been in the shop three time already this year. The first time I took it into the shop they replaced the primary clutch, due to the fact that it had overheated and the bering had seized up. The clutch was getting so hot that the metel turned blue. On then new cluch that was recently installed the same problem occured. Now the new clutch is froze shut and in the shop again. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is just my bad luck. Any ideas or information regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Thad .... Anchorage, Alaska

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't beleive your dealer can't resolve this issue for you. I am assuming they check the alignment of the clutches with an alignment tool? Is this a stock clutch, no changes to the springs/arms? A new belt needs time to break in also, Do you have jack stand to warm up the belt/track before riding? What is the track tension set at? Keep us updated on what they find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the track and clutch allignment is set up right and I put about 10 miles of trail riding on each belt before I hit the mountians. I'm just stumped on what it could be and so is the shop. :(

Thad... Anchorage Alaska

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good luck, this is one feature that I am not impressed with. There is no way to adjust engine alignment!! Piss-poor set-up in that regard. I was told that what you get from the factory is what you have to live with. After looking the situation over, I think I can shim some of the aluminum mounts and possibly rework some of the holes to get engine straight, but you would think AC would have engineered this into the product before releasing to production.
Other than that I am very impressed with the power. This sled is as close to my Thundercat as any 700 has ever been. I haven't logged much riding time yet but I am looking forward to see how it tames the trails.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure if this is true but the dealer had told me that the secondary clutch is not supposed to have any play in it and mine didn't. This sounds odd to me. With no play in the secondary cluth, how is it supposed to align itself? Thinking that this was my problem I removed a shim and gave it one shims worth of play. This did not work either. I am thinking that the engine must be out of alignment and it is binding the belt up. If this is the case, and you can not adjust the enginge mounts, then what do you do?

Thad

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Put the shim back in. The play is in the O-rings. Bring it to a new dealer or call up Cat!!! You dont need to deal with this!!! Sounds like you will need to go over your dealers head!Some times you just need to get nasty with people! Hard for me to do but i think you need to my friend! :angry:
Skydog

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You have some severe offset problems with your motor. The belt is flexing under load way too much causing everything to get "REALLY" hot and blow.

Need to re-position motor. Good luck, already looked at mine....too much of a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
150 Posts
What is your gearing? If you are riding in the mountains you should probably lower it to 20/39. That is Cats recommended gearing for mountain usage. I geared mine down and have not burnt a belt yet in the mountains. Skydog is right about the play being in the o-rings. I assume being from A-rage you ride at Turnagain. Sounds like when the 01 MC 800's were blowing belts left and right because the gearing was too tall for Alaskan riding. We have our own unique problems up here and what works down south doesn't always work in AK.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I know how you feel. I have put three belts on mine in the last 100 miles. The last couple of miles, I noticed that the drive clutch was sticking on it and not dis-engaging when coming to a stop. I about took out a tree when I stopped and let go of the brakes. It is in the dealers now. Not sure what they are going to do. I am calling tomorrow to get the update. The dealer is trying to get Cat to warranty the last three belts.

I will keep all posted on this

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Three belts in 100 miles??? Nine belts in 330 miles????? Something must be obviously, SERIOUSLY wrong here gentlemen. Please keep us posted as to what your dealer and/or Cat finds. -- Roy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Earl, that is exactly what mine was doing. Your primary clutch is not releasing or at least that was the problem with mine. They told me I melted a bering and replaced the primary. The belt would slip down into the secondary opening it up. When I came to a stop it would just die because the belt was still engaged. Check your belt and see if it is blistering on one side (maybe the inside?) That is the problem I was having. Sounds to me like you are going to have the same kind of fun I am. Good luck!!

Arcticmannf7, THC Turnigan Hard Core BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the gearing tip, I will give it a shot. Do you know what the stock gearing is on the F7-sp? By the way, do you race the Arctic Man and, if so, do you know Eric Griener? {I am assuming you are from Ak?}

Thad..........Anchorage, AK

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thad, I'm the parts manager at your dealership. The stock gearing is 22/41 I'll get you set up with 20/39 set up. The screen name is a play on my brand of choice (Arctic Cat) and my last name. Eric was in the shop today. Call tomorrow and let me know if you want to try the clutch and gearing set up I run on my F7.

Later, Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AND I WILL NOT TRY A NEW DEALER MINE IS THE BEST... ;)

Thad

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by thad@Jan 8 2003, 12:02 AM
AND I WILL NOT TRY A NEW DEALER MINE IS THE BEST... ;)

Thad
OK Thad, no sucking up to the dealer!!!! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:unsure:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're going to fix my sled tomarrow. I am going to try diffrent gearing like Chris had reccomended. I am going to a 20/39 instead of the stock setting 22/41. I rode a F7 today with the gearing set at 20/39 and it was snappy as hell. Hopefully they can figure out by the weekend what the clutch problem is. I will keep you posted. If the gearing and the new primary does the trick, hopefully my sled will loose its hunger for belts.

Thad

·
Registered
150 Posts
The top end is still plenty fast with the 20/39 set up. Still will pull high 90's to low 100's. In my opinion you don't need to go 100 all the time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by Roy T@Jan 7 2003, 10:53 PM
Three belts in 100 miles??? Nine belts in 330 miles????? Something must be obviously, SERIOUSLY wrong here gentlemen. Please keep us posted as to what your dealer and/or Cat finds. -- Roy
Roy,

Drive Clutch bad, dealer replaced and cat gave me three belts free. Dealer said ready to go and kick butt this weekend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts