Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was thinking of upgrading the wifes sled. She is currently on a 2002 zr 600. We ride exclusively hard pack trails in central wisconsin with an occasional trip to the up of mich. My budget is 5-6k. shes experienced, im not afraid of any size motor for her, thinking an 800 would be a good fit. Must have electric start and reverse. she wanted a crossfire but recently realized finding one with electric start aint gonna happen. She doesnt want twin spar. That leaves pro cross. my budget seems to fit with the 2012 and 2013 sleds. Problem is a lot of posts say they had more than normal problems but would be ok if the updates were done. I wrench on my own sleds. 1. is there a visual way to see if updates were done? 2. tim trying to understand the different models offered in pro cross and get a little confused, any recommendations for which pro cross sled(s) would be a good fit?

Registered
Doo e-tec if you can find one in that price range. You might find a 600 for around $6k. But an 800 maybe not. But I'd shop quick if I were you.
Sleds are going going gone..had a friend call on one at 9 am, was literally on his way (hour plus ride) and it was GONE and sold when he got there. He was pissed. I don't blame him.

I don't know a hella lot about Polaris products. And a Yami is heavy (imho). Cat well a nice Sabre...their nice and light.

GSX is a nice ride. The newer the better. Overall condition for the $ is most important.

Do her a favor and upgrade the shocks or rebuild them if possible. A good suspension is real important.

Good luck! Hope you both have an awesome season馃榿

Reactions: dskofich

Registered
Oh well ok Cat something LOL
I have a friend with a Sabre cat. Nice sled.

I owned 2 cats, F6, F7. I'm sorry...I did not like those machines on snow. I grass dragged them. For that purpose they were awesome.

But kill your back to ride all day. At least for me.

Registered
2020 Polaris xc 800
So i was thinking of upgrading the wifes sled. She is currently on a 2002 zr 600. We ride exclusively hard pack trails in central wisconsin with an occasional trip to the up of mich. My budget is 5-6k. shes experienced, im not afraid of any size motor for her, thinking an 800 would be a good fit. Must have electric start and reverse. she wanted a crossfire but recently realized finding one with electric start aint gonna happen. She doesnt want twin spar. That leaves pro cross. my budget seems to fit with the 2012 and 2013 sleds. Problem is a lot of posts say they had more than normal problems but would be ok if the updates were done. I wrench on my own sleds. 1. is there a visual way to see if updates were done? 2. tim trying to understand the different models offered in pro cross and get a little confused, any recommendations for which pro cross sled(s) would be a good fit?
In a non covid environment you can get a newer procross. I sold my wife's 16 6000 for 6k prior to the market going nuts. The sled was perfect.

Registered
You should be able to find a Pro Cross ZR or XF 800 close to your price range. The 800 zuke is bulletproof, so dont be afraid of a sled with a few miles as long as its been cared for. Ive seen a few decent 800s local in SE Wisconsin for $5500- 6500.

Registered
Find a 600 ctech. It鈥檚 a good all around sled. Don鈥檛 get a procross older than 2014. 2014 is when they did most of the updates

Registered
Finding a Crossfire/CFR with ES is difficult but I believe you can buy a kit to put it on??? My wife rides a 2011 CFR 800 and loves it! She really likes beating everyone across the lake unless it's a winder or cat 4 stroke turbo.

Not sure if you'll be able to find any of them either seems like any used sleds right now a few and far between unless it's junk. Good luck.

Registered
I own a 2009 CFR 800. I bought it new and it's a great sled. The suspension is stone age compared to my 2019 ZR8000. When my wife got her ZR6000 in 2015 she could run away from me on a whooped-out trail when I was on the CFR. I agree with Greg B., get your wife a 2014 or newer ProCross.

Registered
I own a 2009 CFR 800. I bought it new and it's a great sled. The suspension is stone age compared to my 2019 ZR8000. When my wife got her ZR6000 in 2015 she could run away from me on a whooped-out trail when I was on the CFR. I agree with Greg B., get your wife a 2014 or newer ProCross.
I agree 100%
I had a xf I bought new. It was the worst trail sled I ever owned. The procross is so much better. The xf was reliable, fast, and decent off trail for the time but other than that no. I owned for like a season and i canned it for a race sled.

Registered
I had a Crossfire CFR 800 and didn't like the ergonomics for trail riding. There is very little room to stretch your feet out forward on the running boards, and it seemed the front exit exhaust made for a more stinky ride. Maybe it's better if you stand a lot? Just disappointing to me, coming off a Firecat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts