Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a short ride last nite I noticed a small coolant spot under the sled. I moved it into the shop and let it sit all nite and there was quite a bit of antifreeze on the floor under the bellypan, just ahead of the exhaust exit. It appears to be leaking as it sits not running. I havent got a chance to pull the skid plate off to have a look yet. Anyone have any ideas? Im guessing its a hose from the heat exchangers because of the amount of coolant and the fact that it leaks overnight while the sleds just sitting in the shop. Any help would be great, Im going to try to check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you don't out and out see a leak from an exchanger or hose ,it more than likely is the water pump seal. The leak will appear as though it is comming from the lower engine hose. The hose connects to the water pump housing. You may have to take the factory skid plate off and look up underneath the machine. On the lower portion of the pump there is a weep hole similar to an automotive one. If it is the seal it will be leaking out of there. Save yourself the aggravation and don't cheap out. Buy the seal $40, the Impeller $32 and the oil seal $8 bucks ( approx). I've been into this before.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you don't out and out see a leak from an exchanger or hose ,it more than likely is the water pump seal. The leak will appear as though it is comming from the lower engine hose. The hose connects to the water pump housing. You may have to take the factory skid plate off and look up underneath the machine. On the lower portion of the pump there is a weep hole similar to an automotive one. If it is the seal it will be leaking out of there. Save yourself the aggravation and don't cheap out. Buy the seal $40, the Impeller $32 and the oil seal $8 bucks ( approx). I've been into this before.[/b]
buy the rubber o-rings that go on the back side of pump as well, just changed my seals and its still leaking so now going to change o-rings.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what it is, it appears to have a small leak on the hose where it contacts the bellypan framework but it is definatley leaking at the weep hole on the pump. Exactly what parts should I change so I get this right the first time. Thanx for the help guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya , as I said earlier, replace the mechanical seal, impeller, the rubberized washer that holds the impeller in place and the oil seal that seals the entire assembly from the countershaft. The seals around the housing are a good move but not imperative. It is imperative that you apply grease to the ceramic surface on the back of the impeller before assembling it. For the parts view and numbers , go to www.brownsleisureworld.com good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts