Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both sleds are in equally near mint shape, have about 3500 miles on them, and are in the same price range. She has ridden the 600 edge and likes it alot, have not got a chance to ride the MXZ 500 yet.
Shes ridden everything from my 2003 F-7 EFI ( says it's a bit too much power for her ) to my 2002 AC 440 SNOPRO ( not quite enough power/topend for her ). She rides pretty good/hard for a girl, 200 mile days are no prob up north, but she is only 5'2" and how she fits on the sled and how her little hands fit the bars/controls are really important to her.

I'm leaning towards the MXZ 500 TRAIL my only concern is will that 500 have enough zip and topend for the wide open trails in the UP???

She likes the EDGE being that, to her anyway, says it feels smaller than the firecats do, and I probably agree.

I used to be really brand loyal, but I'm almost 40 now and my biggest concerns are simply reliability - I just want to put gas/oil in them, pull the rope and ride and not be wrenching on them all the time!!!

ANY input as far as good/bad things or known problems about either sled or just general opinions about either sled is appreciated.

Thanks alot,
Rich

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm not sure you can go wrong either way, both awesome sleds. Given that I'd probably go with the Poo because it's a 600 and she has already ridden one and likes it. It is better to have a little extra power then not enough as well.

·
Premium Member
'22 XCR, '17 SB Assault
131 Posts
My wife prefers a good handling sled, ie. easy to turn, lighter weight, inspires confidence. Speed/power is secondary. When I brought home the Poo IQ last year, she sat on it and said "I don't think I will like riding this." Now, when we ride, she rides the Poo just because of the handling. It would be nice if she could ride the mxz before you make a decision, and then choose the sled she feels most comfortable on.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My wife prefers a good handling sled, ie. easy to turn, lighter weight, inspires confidence. Speed/power is secondary. When I brought home the Poo IQ last year, she sat on it and said "I don't think I will like riding this." Now, when we ride, she rides the Poo just because of the handling. It would be nice if she could ride the mxz before you make a decision, and then choose the sled she feels most comfortable on.[/b]
From expirience I've had with both chassis the MXZ is just as nice rideing and handling wise as the EDGE I think, very similar. If you are worried the 500 isn't enough get the 600, if there is one that is in nicer shape that would influence my decision as well. I still say get the one she has ridden and likes.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
The Doo guys are going to say get the Doo and the Polaris guys are going to say get the Polaris. Personally, Id ask her what SHE wants and just go with that.
If she has ridden an EDGE and likes it, I think Id go with that. The Polaris is the better buy because you are getting more sled for the money. Polaris sled with that smallblock domestic 600 twin are some of the most reliable, most fuel-efficient sleds around and they are pretty darned quick too. I should know, I have one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the response guys...............................keep 'em coming!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to ask...because I do not know. What is the actual power difference? She needs to at least sit on both and feel the ergo's...

Jason

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I did a similar analysis last season for my wife (kids have now stolen it).

I found the Polaris domestic twins - 600 and 500 in the edge chassis are hard to beat. Great handling sleds with a good ride. Very predictable and excellent on fuel. The XC/SP's are known for their reliability and long service life.

The Polaris XC/SP comes with great rebuildable shocks standard.

I'm not brand loyal at all so my nod to the edge is based on actual research.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would get her the Polaris 600, great sled, fast and reliable. I think the doo 500 won't have long enough legs for her for the trails that you ride, where as the poo has plenty long enough legs and is also a tried and proven sled. IMO

·
Registered
300 Posts
Depending on the price range you're looking at and how much you love your wife, I'd strongly suggest looking at the Ski Doo 500SS with the REV chassis. The Rev chassis has the sweetest ride out there and the 500SS is really a 600 engine. Best of both worlds. Only problem might be she will want to go more often than you'd like her to.....

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
The Polaris is an excellent sled, handles easily, will run forever. The MXZ is in the same catagory, just less power. Also, she might like the looks better with one vs the other...that's a HUGE thing for a woman, almost as much as for a guy...lol..

·
Registered
41 Posts
i bought a mxz 500 sport today and not all were equiped with reverse or even RER the mxz 500 is very similar to the poo cant go wrong i guess its all in what she likes more

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Depending on the price range you're looking at and how much you love your wife, I'd strongly suggest looking at the Ski Doo 500SS with the REV chassis. The Rev chassis has the sweetest ride out there and the 500SS is really a 600 engine. Best of both worlds. Only problem might be she will want to go more often than you'd like her to.....[/b]

She really would love to get on a rev, but we're downsizing our snowmobiling operation since my drag car is almost in the seven second zone now and that is our #1 "toy" priority and believe me it is NOT cheap.
The reason I narrowed our choices down to the edge 600 or mxz 500 is they are both mint and in the $2300.00 - 2400.00 range which is all we really want to spend.

We just sold her 2005 Firecat F-5 SNOPRO and only want to spend about half the cash so the rest will fund racecar stuff for 2008.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i bought a mxz 500 sport today and not all were equiped with reverse or even RER the mxz 500 is very similar to the poo cant go wrong i guess its all in what she likes more[/b]
How the 500 feel powerwise???

Her everyday sled for the last two seasons was a 2005 Firecat F-5 SNOPRO which was plenty power/speed for her, but even I was impressed with the power it had for a 500.

Anybody know how the edge 600 or mxz 500 will compare powerwise to the F-5 she had???

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THANKS AGAIN for all the replies guys - keep em coming, we're probably going to buy one of the two tomorrow sometime after she tests the MXZ 500 to compare it to the edge 600.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts