Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a hole in my heat exchanger on 2001 ZL 600 efi esr.
Normally I would let the dealer do this but money is tight so I attempted to remove reverse gears along with chain so I could remove the track and drive axle. I kept notes and took pictures along the way and got everthing out BUT I found this item which looks like a pin at the bottom of the empty chaincase when I was done. My machine is now at the welders so I am tring to figure out where this item goes when I attempt to reassemply it. Can anyone help me?

http://users.lighthouse.net/dpeterso/pin.JPG

·
Registered
303 Posts
It is a penny. It is the only thing you have left after you buy the equipment etc. It should be in you pocket instead of the chaincase. :)

Seriously, it's a button head rivet. It probably came out of the end of the automatic chain tensioner... there is a spring in there also, so check to make sure that it is not hidding some place where it shouldn't be.

You probably did not de-activate the auto-tensioner before you disassembled the chain and gears. This means that you will have to rewind the clock spring in the tensioner. This is simple to do but hard to explain. Your best bet is to ask the dealer to rewind it. Just take it out of the chain case and give it to the dealer or maybe the tech will do it on the Q/T if you buy him lunch.

Hope this helps.

BobCat

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is a spot on the side of the chain tensioner that you screw out the plug and put in a set screw to hold it in place before you take the chaincase apart. Saves a lot of headaches. Bobcat is definitely correct on the home for the rivet.

B

·
0 Posts
Here's the instructions from the Service Manual Page 8-40 to 8-43

1: Apply a light coat of oil to the threads of the adjuster bolt; then turn the adjuster bolt clockwise into the housing a few turns.

2: Slide the adjuster socket over the end of the adjuster bolt and push the socket down firmly into position. Rotate the adjuster socket clockwise until it's flange seats against the housing inner surface.

3: with a flat surface of the adjuster socket located under the threaded hole in the housing, install an X-32 set screw.

4: Install the bent tab of the spring into the slot of the adjuster socket with the outer end of the spring positioned in the clockwise direction.

5: With the spring in position, remove the cable tie used to prevent it from unwrapping.

6: Place the O-ring seal into position, then set the end cap into position. Make sure its tab is hooked into the end of the spring.

7: While holding the end cap down into position, rotate the end cap 20 turns clockwise to tension the spring.

8: Install the three cap screws (coated with blue loctite #242) and tighten to 1 Kg-m (7 ft lbs)

9: Apply a thin coat of grease into the spring and place the spring into position in the end of the adjuster bolt.

10: Use a thin coat of grease on the stem shaft (the part you found) into the end of the adjuster bolt.

11: Securely tighten the adjuster assembly into the chain case.

12: Remove the set screw from the adjuster housing and install the cap screw (short screw)

There you have it. The pictures help, but they are poor to start with and I dont know how to get them here, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You really don't have to take the adjuster all apart. Just have a set screw ready to snug in and turn the adjuster screw in with a set of pliers as far as you can. Set the set screw and put the chaincase back together. I have never taken the adjuster apart to reset it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SPUDAC--- that is interesting and would save some time . Bobcat spoke of a spring that could be out and I don't see one . Is the spring somewhere where it would have come loose as the button head rivet did and is there a set screw on the adjuster screw or do I need to get one? OK I just stuck the rivet in the
adjuster screw and I feel a spring inside . I assume that is the spring Bobcat talked about. But the set screw I do not know about.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yup, that is the spring.

For the set screw, just find a 10-32 screw about 1" long and use it. The setscrew only keeps the adjuster from activating while you install it.

BobCat

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent but one more question. Where exactly does the set screw go? Is there a hole in the adjuster screw that the set screw goes into?
Thanks again.

B

·
0 Posts
I would agree that if you put the set screw in BEFORE you take it off, it's a no brainer. But if you didn't (like I didn't the first time I took one of these off), then it sends the spring and the button into the chaincase, and I could net get the adjuster turned back without taking it apart. And taking it apart is pretty easy, it's the putting back together thats the tough part. That's why I put the re-assembly instruction here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by extcat@Feb 1 2003, 04:21 PM
Thanks for bearing with me on this but I am lost where the set screw goes.
Thanks
It looks like your adjuster is turned in with the screw towards the back. Look on the back side of the shaft up next to the big end. There should be a plug in the hole where the set screw goes. It takes a 8-32 screw. You may need to take a wrench on the shaft and turn the adjuster enough so that you can get at it. The whole unit just screws into the chain case. You can usually get the chain back on by just removing the chain roller. The big nut at the pivot point unscrews. Take the unit out, put on the chain, have a buddy screw back the adjuster and hold it while you put the roller back in place. I usually put some blue loctite on the roller pivot bolt to make sure it doesn't loosen up. But save yourself some work next time and get a 8-32 screw to lock the adjuster before you start. I also would recommend if you are going to work on your own sled to get the service manual CD. It is ~$38. and will save you a lot of hassle. It helps to know the right way to do things before you start. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts