Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I all, want to know where is the best place to go ride in the mountain 3 or 4 day and night with "all include" formule.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
To start with were are you at are you planning on driving in or flying in and what kind of experience do you have. Some places like Cooke City and probably the Big Horns would be hard to fly into. I think you can fly into Island Park and West Yellowstone though and probably some of the places in CO and UT.

·
Premium Member
25,555 Posts
There's an area about 1/2 hour away from us that rents snowmobiles in Crested Butte. You can fly into Gunnison, and they have shuttles that take you up to Crested Butte. Don't really know much about it, because we don't rent sleds, and have never flown in and taken the shuttle. They have some awesome skiboarding and ski slopes there.
If you want the numbers of those places, let me know, and I will get them for you.
Bethany

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh ya that woudl be great if you could if its not too much trouble id really appreciate it, no hurry though im way in the pre planning stage and what kind of riding is it, i dont know much about mountain riding, do i need any expierence for crested butte.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sorry forgot about this post. You can also fly into Bozeman catch the shuttle to west yellowstone and rent a sled. Also you can get a guide for all the days or just the first day to get an idea were everythign is. I'm quite positive you can get a full package of hotel room, shuttle, and rental for a pretty fair price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well im not sure im leaning away from yellowstone, it seems like it is more of trails in the mountains, im really not sure i dont know enough about it, i was more looking for going out in the back country and just going where you please. so i guess really my question woudl be what is the difference between somewhere like crested butte or cooke city or yellowstone

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Stay away from cooke city if you don't have any experience and don't have the equipment. Also it would be hard to fly and get into cooke city as they are quite aways from an airport. Cooke city is very steep. The trees are more open but the danger of slides and dropping into places the are hard or impossible to get out of.

West yellowstone does have alot of trails but there is also alot of fairly open trees, meadows, and hills to play on, that is the biggest appeal of yellowstone is the large amount of areas to ride. If you got a guide for the first day and said what kind of riding you wanted to do they would get you pointed in the right direction.

Another good location for a first trip to the Mtns would be the Big Horns. Its not as steep as Cooke but more open if you dont like tree riding. Which I personally do. The high avalanche areas are more marked off also but still not safe from avalanches anywere out west so learn what you can and get gear shovels, probes, and beacons if your going off trail. You can also get a guide in the Big Horns and could probably fly into sheridan and get a ride up. Hope thats of some help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah that is a lot of help, its not that i dont like tree riding or atleast i dont think i dont, i have no idea what i like. i just dont want to be on the trail the hole time because we do that in the U.P. one more quick thing do have anywhere i can get information like for cabins/hotels or sled rental for bighorns (a phone number or website) if not i can just google it im sure ill find something

thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Best place to stay in the bighorns if you can get in is www.bearlodgeresort.com

Yeah alot of people I think have a misconception about west yellowstone. They think of the park and trails but don't realize all the off trail opportunities also.

·
Premium Member
25,555 Posts
There is CB snowmobiles at 970-209-0109, and then there is Snowmobile Central at 970-349-6598 Timber Sleds at 970-209-6720.
No idea if any of these places do an all inclusive vacation or not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can always try to go to Togwotee ....they have a package deal with lodging,meals, guide service, etc. They will take you out for whatever kind of riding you are OK with, teach ya what ya might be up for learning, etc. You can fly in, and part of the Pkg is shuttle service from Jackson airport.

They have website and webcam......www.togwotee.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by ridecats4life@Jan 25 2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah that is a lot of help, its not that i dont like tree riding or atleast i dont think i dont, i have no idea what i like. i just dont want to be on the trail the hole time because we do that in the U.P.  one more quick thing do have anywhere i can get information like for cabins/hotels or sled rental for bighorns (a phone number or website) if not i can just google it im sure ill find something

thanks
Kevin
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1273063
[/quote]

If you're looking to get information on hotels and stuff google "Town you want" and chamber of commerce. Then either drop them an email or find the link to request information and they'll send you a whole shit load of info on hotels, food and anything you could need. Their usually very helpful...especially the cooke city chamber of commerce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts