Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on how to soften up the rear suspension on an 08 RTX. Rode a friends this W/E and its like riding a brick. No give on the rear suspension.

Preload set to middle and front floats set at 75. Seems to steer ok with a little lift in the corners but bumpy trails kill you. When standing on the back, sled barely move down at all. If he could get that thing a little softer I think this sled would fly. He is new to Yammi and I don't have any idea how to adjust it.

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
He must weigh nothing? set the rear preload to lowest setting and front shocks to 55psi and try it. next step is getting the book out and reading the owners manual. Hope I helped

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He ways 220. When I stand on the back it barely moves and I am 230. I think there is a problem with the rear shock? When he lowers the front shocks the sled get very tippy and won't turn(ie pushes in the corner). Should drop the front pressure then tighten the limiter up 1 to get more ski pressure and adjust the dampening in the rear?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
He ways 220. When I stand on the back it barely moves and I am 230. I think there is a problem with the rear shock? When he lowers the front shocks the sled get very tippy and won't turn(ie pushes in the corner). Should drop the front pressure then tighten the limiter up 1 to get more ski pressure and adjust the dampening in the rear?

Thanks for the info.[/b]
I have an 07 Apex RTX and when it was new I felt the same way the rear skid was stiff as hell could barely push down on it. I have floats set at 70psi and rear torsion spring on medium and compression dampening 8 clicks out. I have about 800 miles on it now and the suspension set up that way it is perfect for me. I found that you really have to slide all the way up against the tank and wrap around it which puts the bumps behind you and you won't feel them anymore. I stand in the big stuff and really hang the knee out in the corners, the faster you go the better the suspension reacts. It seems as though the more miles I put on the sled the better the suspension gets and the more I like it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Im 300 and put my fox at 45lbs...they are a little below level empty and level with me on it, 13mm bar but I always had them that low.

its even stiff for me at 16 clicks (4 from full) and it really softens up when you start getting it to the soft position, a few clicks will make a huge difference.

Springs are stiff, it is a Rough Trail Extreme (RTX) I know many that ride with them at full soft on the clicker...they say just soft enough not to bottom it out.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If it's too stiff, go with all the softest settings? I'm with Kevin on the front shocks, 40lbs, and have never bottomed them. That was a big help regarding inside ski lift. Set the front skid spring with no preload w/track on stand. Rear torsion springs on low. If you back off all the way (adjusting nuts all the way down) on the transfer rods, the track will probably start ratcheting, so maybe up to the first ring. He's likely going to be all over the trail with the front end. That's normal, has nothing to do with the settings above. He can buy new skis, or read up on how to shim the ones he has. Either way works. FWIW

Edit: Running my rear shock at softest, 20 clicks out. Still too stiff in the low speed but starts smoothing out in the higher speed (40-45mph).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. Going to soften the whole thing. New skis will take care of the darting.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wish my 07 RTX was that stiff

i have it set to the stiffest setting... for those farmer road crossing's :ylsuper:

could use just a little more damping from the shock. might have it revalved.

front fox re sent to californa to have dual compression/rebound valving.. i run them @ 55psi.. there

amazing.

i am only 175 pounds. guess its all rider prefrence ;)

cheers
Wart

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
<<<could use just a little more damping from the shock>>>

Why not use a little coupling? Just run the transfer nuts up a little at a time untill it stops bottoming (if that's your problem).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts