Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 ZR 500 EFI has a cutting out problem at WOT. The problem is totally intermitent. It will rev to about 7500 like normal then it will just stay there. Did a plug chop during the bog and left plug was wet and dark and right plug had a nearly white insulator. Started it back up and it revved right out like normal. It runs perfect until it hits about 7500 rpm each time it bogs. It also wasn''t starting on 2 pulls everytime. Any ideas what would cause it to drop a cylinder at wot? TPS? thanks in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more question. I believe there is some sort of limp mode that the computer can run in, correct? Does anyone know what the computer does to make it limp? My point is, any sensor problem could probably trigger the limp mode. If limp mode shuts down one cylinder, then the problem could be anywhere. If it doesn't shut down one, then I should be able to track it down starting with that cylinder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if the temp sensor detects that the engine is too hot it will go into an over rich condition. check the black and yellow wires by the coil and make sure they are not disconnected. if you look at the red led on the computer, it will flash a code when you start it if a problem exists. 2 flashes detects an open in water temp circuit. :eek:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some testing according to the manual. It looks like the low speed coil readings are out of spec. Would this be part of the starting problem? Could it have anything to do with the intermittent WOT problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts