Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go for a ride in the rain this morning. I let my f7 warm up on the trailer for about 10 minutes while I was putting my gear on. The running board heat exchanger was warm on the right side. Ran easy for about ¼ mile and then started to get into it. About ½ into the trip, She just quit. Not real sure what had happened I pulled it over once and she started back up. Seemed to be fine. I went another 200 feet and she did it again. This time I popped the hood and felt the heads and they were warm/hot but not hot enough to burn me. Right side running board was warm but not steaming. The right was cold. I turned her a round and started her back up. One pull and she was running. I ran slowly all the way back 4000 – 4500 rpm. It did not stall again.

What do you think? Could it have been a cold seizure? Or the rain?

Truck – 120 miles
F7 --- 2 miles

Thanks

Dan...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two of us went out the first time and both F7's did the exact same thing. Under 2 miles, let them warm up good and about -4 outside. Lot of snow and everything was warm to the touch. They both ran great for the rest of the day.
Nobody has given us a good answer yet... ?????????

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is my 3rd tank of gas. I've used around 2 quarts of oil.

Here is a picture of the right (mag) piston. It definitely seized

I thought I was passed this. I burped this sled more than I burped my two kids, and always checked for air in the oil lines.

It still has the power and 138 / 140 (mag/pto) compression.

A call to dealer on monday.

Dan...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dan, when you said, "Ran easy for about ¼ mile and then started to get into it", what do you mean by getting into it? WOT? Over half throttle?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Dan, that really bites the big one. Sorry to hear about this. Please keep us posted as to what the powers that be, have to say about this -- especially what may have caused it, and what they plan on doing to prevent it from happening again. -- Roy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by rob@Dec 14 2002, 07:32 PM
Dan, when you said, "Ran easy for about ¼ mile and then started to get into it", what do you mean by getting into it? WOT? Over half throttle?
It was not WOT, but I was jumping the mogals maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in bursts. Total speed was abot 40 - 50 mph. It was also raining and a little hard to see.

Last weekend was a lot of WOT.

Dan...

·
Registered
485 Posts
That photo of that piston is exactly like mine. Word of my problem is out with some of the locals,who questioned my dealer, he says he has had no problems with the f7.I'd like to remind him I'm still waiting for parts and my sled is still in his shop with the cover on it ! I think I know now why he asked me for the cover, as it truly is a coverup!! Good luck dan and keep us posted!

·
Registered
146 Posts
:angry: piston looks the same as mine Dan after 34 miles. I'm told it was a air pocket in the coolant
system. I'll keep you posted. I had to replace the cylinder as well.

C

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem with mine dan went around 2 ans within those 2 miles it died twice and then i drove it for around another 100 miles after changing plugs 3 times but on the way back to the truck that night she blew 1 piston and scuffed the other one really bad also took out both cylinders not impressed :angry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at the dealer today for new piston and cylinder. He said when it seizes like mine did, it is cause by the air pocket moving into the cylinder. I think that it happened the last time I loaded the sled onto the trailer - while the thermostat was opened. The air went up the left side heat exchanger to the engine instead of the right to the reservoir.

He has the piston and was expecting the cylinder in this morning.

Dan E.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm back up and running. put one hundred miles on her today. she ran great. Still the best sled I've ever owned.

Dan...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I need to ask this question to every Firecat owner out there that burnt up, cold seized they're engines, did you use the Arctic Cat synthetic APV oil or were you using a different oil like: Amsoil, Klotz, Torco, Injex, Maxima, Blue Marble and others ?
I'am not picking on any certain oils, just something everybody has left out, including bleeding the oil pump screw, and burping the engine I/A/W Arctic Cat.
Why is it you see more problems on the F7 than F5 ?
Could it be the EFI's ?
This input could help other Firecat owners pinpoint they're problems.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Your problem sounds like smart valves sticking, if you actually siezed it you wouldnt be able to pull it over till it cooled down.

Krom

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by FINNBEAR@Dec 29 2002, 12:26 AM
Why is it you see more problems on the F7 than F5 ?
Could it be the EFI's ?
More than likely it's cause there's a million F7's out there and far less F5's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts