Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first I want to say after just cruising around on the site the cool info out weighs the silly stuff big time. I never knew about long distance trail riding with full face helmets before seeing this site. I wear a mx helmet for mountain riding and have to sacrifice the warmth for vision. We sell the TXi helmet and I have not used one but always thought how nice it would be for cruising especially in cold weather. But at the same time I could not imagine wearing one in the spring or mountain riding. Last weekend we left for the hills early and I was cold. Rode all day and used 3 pairs of goggles. On the way home my face was freezing. I had pulled the mask down to breath easier and it was all froze up. Pulled out a fresh facemask and all was good. When I get back to the truck I usually load and then drive from the pull off to the town 20 miles away with my gear on and sometimes even my helmet because everything is froze solid from the powder. Can't get the s*** off. I don't see many mountain riders using full face helmets but the mx style sucks for high speed and warmth. I think people don't give enough thought to windshield selection for what they do. That makes all the difference. I do have several buddies that wear full face helmets because they wear glasses. I know what I have to do to keep my goggles clear for a full day. They don't fog but get snow on the outside. I put them under the hood when I stop and it drys them very well. It seems that once you fog or snow up your full face it is tough to get it bact to clear. I also try to pull my mask down below my nose whenever I can so I can breath easier. I never wear a breath deflector or no fog mask because I have to breath as easy as possible. What do you guys think about this. Another thing I think is a big window will get rid of the neck ripping effect if you choose to ride with a visor style helmet at speed.
Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also own two, MX and a Txi. I prefer the MX over the Txi, seem to have better vision, lighter weight. Does seem strange after primarily wearing the MX to put the other one back on. Only for the sub-zero days will I wear the full face anymore. I wear the No-Fog, withthe MX, never have a problem, plenty warm, everything is covered. Ride with guys who continually fog, keep telling them it's time to change helmet style. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
I use the txi w/ the electric shield. Never fogs, never cold. I am really thinking about getting a mx helmet. The txi is a little too warm above 20 degrees and after a long weekend my neck starts to get sore from the heavier txi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts