Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got to buy a new helmet for this season. whats everybodys opion on the best.
not looking to spend more that 350 to 400.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
old school skidoo modjular (spelling???) at temps under +15*F , above 15 open face MX helmut with gogles ( good winter sports type with 2 lens).

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have an HJC CL-12 and I like it. Bought it 3-4 years ago I don't even know if they still make it? One thing that's nice is that it already had pockets for speakers molded into the liner. It's still comfortable with the addition of my Collett Communicator.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
hjc cl-14 fuse with electric shield. never will i go without an electric shield again. around 200 bucks with shield at my dealer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rode with a heated lens for years and thought it was the best way to go. Except every year you need a new lens, I just couldn't polish the inevitable scratches out of the lens, and as you know vision is everything when riding fast. Cheapest heated replacement lens is around 80 bucks, needed one every year. Then you have to remember to disconnect it every time you jump off, or you'd better have a spare lead and perhaps a butane soldering gun with you……. Also I wear glasses normally and I would still fog up the lenses, so I had to wear contacts…..talk about a pain in the ass.

Several riding buddies had been swearing by moto helmets for several years so I decided to try it. For 150 bucks I got a G-max moto-x helmet and Scott OTG ( over the glasses) dual pane goggles with quick snap/velcro. Easy on/off for those times you need to jump off and want to take the gogs off. Never fogs, never ices. I wore a baclava pulled down under the edges of the goggles so no expsosed skin. The goggles have enough ventilation I can now wear glasses under them even when perspiring from hard riding. Good to go to about zero degrees at 90 mph. I admit on sub-zero nights it would get cold, but no frostbite. Might have to slow down to cut down the wind on the coldest nights. I carried a heavier baklava just for those nights.
The only thing I don't like is the reduced peripheral vision with the goggles. Have to swing your head left to right more. After 1 season, 2500 miles, I have to say it’s the best $150 I've spent on headgear. I won't be going back to a heated full face shield.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Slayer, I am exactly the opposite. Rode with goggles for years, one time I rode with an electric shield and I was hooked. I can usually keep a shield for 3 years before I need a new one. Goggles are good, but I frost bit my nose and the edges of my eyes so now I only where them while racing. BTW, you can get the Z1R Strike Snow Full Face helmet with Electric shield for 139. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
my cord unplugs real easy when i jump off it just like a rca stero cable.my shield didnt get very scratched up. the best part i like is you are sooner or later bound too run into some freezing rain or fog or snow at just the right temp and it freezes on your shield. no more scratching at your shield to see.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I like the moto x helmet as well. I think you have better vision with the moto x helmet then with a full face. Only draw back is when it's about -10f or colder then I wish I had a full face. Other then that I would never switch back. I got about 3-4 people who I ride with to switch as well. And they all like it as well. Something you can get to wear with the moto x helmet for the colder days is a no fog mask. It's made of neoprene and cost about $30 in dennis kirk. Get the head band with it as well. It covers your skin right above the goggles. I wear it right over my backlava, and it helps alot on colder days.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I actually use an all black Arctic Cat full face helmet (no visible Cat logos). It was the only one I could find that was big enough to fit my fat head (hat size 8). Very comfortable, works good.

Does this mean Arctic Cat riders have big heads? :dunno:

J/K guys!! :lol2:

·
Registered
462 Posts
:banana: HJC SYMAX/ heated shield and a Polar Optics tinted removeable sun shield.Been using this helmet since they came out and in warmer weather they are alittle warm but in Northern Ontario where I put 3800 miles on my sled last Winter, this helmet is the nutts!! Coldest we rode was for a week at -40 F and no trace of freezing on the shield.I did buy and carry an extra power cord as I hear this is the weak point of most heated shields. Good luck in your decision. :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
i just bought a kbc mx helmet and scott goggls and

i also have a gmax 18X full face with a
heated shiled and love the heated shild

but the thing whit the kbc that i like is i can get a heated shiled
for this mx helmet so iam selling the gmax and buying a^^

so look in to that if you go to snowest PM raceinpit and sak him
about helmets hell give you a deal tell him i sent you lol :beerchug:

·
Registered
46,285 Posts
I've had a HJC CL-12 with an electric sheild for a long time.....best helmet for the money spent. Electric sheilds are invaluable in real cold temps. Only downside is you gotta watch out for face slappers....one good wack....kiss that electric sheild bye-bye. :eek:oh4:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yeah, I think it's about personal preference,I have both a hjc snox with prescription goggles ,last year stopped for a quick smoke and didn't pull my balaclava up high enough 15 mins later at the cottage cheeks were like taillights, 2 days later black scabs , bought a polaris modular ,no problems no fogging ,elec shield. I got to be honest I liked them both :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts