Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HJC helmet. I put in regular, flat helmet speakers that are wired to my phone. Sounds good at idle/slow speed, but, can’t hear any music when cranking.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the sweet sound my Apex makes, but, some tunes are nice from time to time. Does anyone know if someone makes noise canceling helmet speakers? I don’t just want to boost the volume of mine as I’d probably blow out an eardrum, but, if something would work like Bose speakers do on airplane, to cut down the sled noise and be able to hear the music that would be great.
Bluetooth would be great also especially with an accessory on/off switch that you could put on the handle bars so when you stop you can shut them off when talking to riding buddies and then turn them on when you take off without opening your coat, etc.
I would appreciate any advice or opinions on this.

Fred

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Uclear. Either their Bluetooth communication devices or their wired speakers you can connect direct to your iPhone or whatever. I have the Pulse pro speakers for my amp series communicator and listened to music this weekend riding and I actually had them on a low setting because they were so loud. Great sound quality too. They have spacers so you can actually get the speaker closer to your ear inside the helmet. Here is the link to their speakers they sell. http://ucleardigital.com/product-ca...38DSokg_FowBa7ozHwSPBFO3Ym6_W5uE90BoC6GPw_wcB

Here are their communication units that allows you to communicate with other riders that have them or other brand Bluetooth communication devices. You can also connect to your phone and take calls while riding. They also sell a remote that you can attach to the bars to make selecting buttons much easier then reaching up to the side of your helmet.
http://ucleardigital.com/product-category/helmet-communications/bluetooth/snowmobile/

·
Registered
2021 Polaris 650 Matryx Indy VR1 137
332 Posts
Can you give a good explanation what this Uclear system consists of?
Lots of sales talk on the website.

I want to know a little more detail on what hardware is required and how it works together.

I see speakers that mount in a helmet. Are they attached via wires to your phone or I pod?

Is there a battery powered module mounted in the helmet that communicates with your phone via. Bluetooth.

Is there a module /control to mount to the handlebars?

How does it communicate with others in your group. Phone service? Wireless? What is the distance it will communicate?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
All wireless Bluetooth. You can purchase a remote control that mounts to the bars but you don't have to in order for it to work as intended. Just an option. There is a battery operated unit attached to the helmet. The speakers attach to the uclear unit on the side of your helmet and connect to your phone via Bluetooth connection. The more units connected to communicate the greater the communication distance is. If just two units connected you will get about a 1/4-1/2 mile communication range. Here are some picture of mine.
Uclear unit
Uclear unit with speaker wire into helmet
Speaker inside ear area of helmet
Pulse pro wired mics placed up on either side of forehead area inside helmet.

Here is a good review video from web bike world.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quiet Ride
These helmets are really cool, they have an air camber that expands to seal the headphones around your ear inside the helmet... developed by a Minnesotan snowmobiler.

Sena 20s
This is the set up I went with. Like the other posters said, never ride without comms system now. Sena makes an awesome product, and I have no regrets as they work perfectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see this is an old post so here is some new info. I have the Freecom4, works well for me . They have a mesh system that works even better. (for intercoms). I used mine with the Gr son last year and it was great for talking to him while crossing roads, etc. We could talk as long as we could see each other. They blue tooth to your phone and have voice commands. You can even take a phone call, that wasn't a priority for me while snowmobiling. I have 2 sets of speakers and mounts, so I can just disconnect from my snowmobile helmet and plug it into my motorcycle helmet. I think Freecom, Uclear and Sena are all very comparable products.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may want to consider a unit using earbuds rather than speakers. They plug into the units instead of speakers. Speakers need to be turned up loud when trying to mask ambient noise like wind etc when going fast. Earbuds block most of that noise and do not need the volume turned up so loud. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would second Interceptor and add that I use noise cancelling ear buds and they are phenomenal at blocking out engine/wind noise. It allows you to use a lower volume to hear both the communications and music. Try the Bose QC-20 and you will never go back to simply speakers.

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
3,044 Posts
I would second Interceptor and add that I use noise cancelling ear buds and they are phenomenal at blocking out engine/wind noise. It allows you to use a lower volume to hear both the communications and music. Try the Bose QC-20 and you will never go back to simply speakers.
Do they hurt your ears after wearing them for 6 hours?

·
Premium Member
15 Pro X 800 , 16 Pro S LE 800, 06 Fusion 600 Dragon, 03 Edge X 600, 99 XC700SP, 96 XCRSP, 91 RXL
156 Posts
I found earbuds did. I ride alone a lot and only stop for fuel or to decide directions. So I sometimes will wear my helmet for 6-10 hours without removing and found the earbuds could be uncomfortable for long periods.
Because I do ride alone a lot, especially when I'm out tearing it up, music is more important sometimes so I am looking at FodSport M1S-Plus with Pulse Pro 2.0 speaker/mic. Like the mic better. Any opinions? Have to buy 4 kits plus 1 extra Pulse headset so would like to save a little cash

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just rode all last weekend for the first time using the Cardo talkback unit. Loved it! Worked better than expected. I’m using MEE m6 pro earbuds that lay very flat and no problem after all day riding. The integration of music and intercom is seamless. Music can be easily muted if someone comes up to talk with you. Although the mic can be muted, I didn’t find the need. Very little ambient noise picked up by the mIc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just rode all last weekend for the first time using the Cardo talkback unit. Loved it! Worked better than expected. I’m using MEE m6 pro earbuds that lay very flat and no problem after all day riding. The integration of music and intercom is seamless. Music can be easily muted if someone comes up to talk with you. Although the mic can be muted, I didn’t find the need. Very little ambient noise picked up by the mIc.
We run the same system in our helmets. LOVE IT! We just used the JBL speaker that come with the kit. Very clear audio and voice between machine. I have taken a few calls while riding and people think I am just driving in my truck and have no idea I am talking to them while cruising on a sled.

I found a down fall this weekend. I stream Pandora while I ride. I rode in the UP and did not have internet and don't have any music stored on my phone.

In loosing my Pandora for a few hours... I also figured out that having to listen to that trail can that came on my machine when I bought it, I found myself getting down the stock exhaust. :ROFLMAO: Getting old sucks... realizing that you getting old sucks even more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You make a good point about streaming music. Doesn’t work well in the areas without good cell service.
Spotify lover here with an endless playlist downloaded on my phone. Problem solved!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts