Hardcore Sledder banner

helix

854 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  ready2race 
#1 ·
i have a 97 zr 440 i was looking a a couple helix's 1 60/54 and 1 62/52. would they change the bottom end of my sled?? stock is 53

#3 ·
i thought it was the other way around. 62-52 would be faster out of the hole then a straight 53, but the 53 would shift out faster.

i thought they wanted a steep helix for snocross so it stays in a higher ratio for a little longer then shifts out hard.

IMO i would go with something like a 52-44 with a green secondary spring on the tightest or second tightest hole. for trail riding. for snocross i would leave the straight 53.

#5 ·
The 53 will shift out faster because it keeps the RPM higher, depends on the conditions, but the green spring in the tightest or seceond tightest hole will slow that sled down, very heavy,I'm not sure where the sno cross was mentioned,I thought it was drag set up. Something like 56- 52 stock spring, depends what your racing on.

#7 ·
Strong spring takes Hp to compress, witch a 97 440 zr doesn't have, will hurt mid and top speed, I've tested them with two sleds side by side. The green spring in those two holes would almost need to stand on the clutch to open it. your going from 92Lb(yellow) spring to 157Lb(green).

#8 ·
well my sled is suppose to have 98hp stock and i have it race ported and power reeds.. i am not really worried about top speed. i think i have my spring on second tightest setting now. with stock 53.thank you all! :beerchug: :div20:

#9 ·
Not just top speed ,I tested it in 660FT. Any thing past middle hole is just to much IMO, My 580, and 500 both have about the same power as your 440. The more force to open the clutch the more power your robbing, extra power won't gain anything if you lose power trying to open the clutch. That's just my take. :beerchug:

97 ZR440 had around 90 stock HP.

#10 ·
leave the sled how it is if you want any balls. if you move the spring looser it will bog when you hit powder cause it wont backshift as well.

if your only trail riding the spring can be as loose as you want and it will only shift out at a slower speed and give you more top end at a lower RPM. but you hit a big hill and hammer it and you get is BLAHHH.

a tight spring doesnt rob power. just holds you in a lower gear for a little longer. and backshifts when you need it to.

#11 ·
Tight spring does rob power, anything that puts that much side pressure on the belt is going to take power to open,This is an imporant rule when clutching, If the plan is to drag race, I don't know why you would be worried in the powder.The only reason to run that heavy of spring pressure is if your belt is slipping or your going hill climbing in powder snow, other wise a weaker tension will work. This is a 90HP 440, Green spring wound tight is to much, work with the stock spring.

#14 ·
Originally posted by ready2race@Oct 9 2005, 05:43 PM
Tight spring does rob power, anything that puts that much side pressure on the belt is going to take power to open,This is an imporant rule when clutching, If the plan is to drag race, I don't know why you would be worried in the powder.The only reason to run that heavy of spring pressure is if your belt is slipping or your going hill climbing in powder snow, other wise a weaker tension will work. This is a 90HP 440, Green spring wound tight is to much, work with the stock spring.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=918241
[/quote]

if i find my dyno sheet i will post it. for when this sled was stock and the guy wanted to see what it had before he ported it. if i remember right it was 97.6hp and i am not sure if he had it done after the port job but i will ask him. thank you tho!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.