Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the dalton pr52/42-36 be alright to use in place of the r12? If I only change the helix?Would it be as good or better for aggrisive trail riding on a 2002xc7sp with reverse think its geared 25-43,I weigh 185lb,144 studs add up to 9lbs,motor is stock.Now the sled does 105 speedo 8200rpm on uncalebrated tack.I had 3300 miles on belt with r12 so dont want to loose belt life or gas milage.but would like to get full shift out.

I read a post last night about just changeing the helix thats why I ask this. Ive been reading alot of hold post,but havent seen much on the 2002 unless its has 136 track If theres a proven clutch set up for the 02 Id like to here it too with the dalton helix or the hotseat.

Also was wondering the differance between the hotseat 36s & 36x Ive seen where you recomend the 36x but I only see the 36s on there websight.

Im still on the fence to keep clutchs all stock after wasting the helix.If thers no down side to changing I will go for it so any input to any of the guestion is apprecated thanks Brad

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Ideally you need to gear down for more top end, and bring your top rpm down considering the tach reads properly. That dalton helix will give a much stronger upshift off the line and midrange. The 36X is a bit more aggressive than the 36S. I beleive they list it as a 50/36X. It is in the catalog I have from them. Also a hot seat 38X with a polaris blue/orange #2 will work well. I would also change the primary spring to a polaris almond, or almond/blue. It will increase the engagement rpm slightly though. For the least money, change the primary spring, and the helix to any of the ones mentioned.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not shur which helix your talking about for the 38x,They list a 38x as a 50/38 & they list a52/38x .Which one of the primary springs you mentioned would have the lower engagement?Also would that spring combo be good for the dalton?

Putting in a 24 gear on top would mean i need a new chain as theres not much ajustment left, do you know what chain would fit?Thanks for your help

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
your stock gearing is 25-40 you can't run a 24-40 combo in your chaincase. you can go 24-41 and use the stock chain

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I actualy counted 53 when my case was apart ,But that most just be the outside reverse.Thought I missed counted 10 & figured 43 ,but the inside gear most be differant,is this the only one that gets changed?hope so cause that outside gear is 160.$

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I ran a Dalton 50/42/36 with both the Polaris blue/orange spring and the Polaris silver/blue on my 03 700ves.
Worked very well. Very hard midrange and accel and good top end.
tried the Polaris R12 as well with the same springs and the Dalton was better for sure. Nothing really wrong with the good old R12 though.

As mentioned you are overevving if you are actually doing 8200rpm, which is likely if your primary is stock. This is far more detrimental than your secondary setup. You should be running 64 weights if you are mostly stock otherwise.

The 02's were geared 25/40 which is pretty tall, too tall for most real conditions and is very hard to fully shift out. Like already said, gear down to 24/41, works with your stock chain and is proven.
Having Mechanical reverse makes the bottom gear expensive but it is worth it if you are going to keep it for any length of time.
Gotta pay to play...or suffer stock!

The above mentioned Dalton is F/S in the parts section by the way.

That sled is well worth settin up the clutchin and gearing, very good performance and a lot more fun to ride........shame it didn't come setup that way.

PS Jet down to 480 if you are stock.........the factory 500 mains are stupid rich and robbing you of HP and clean operation.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
The almond would be slightly lower than the almond/blue. If you want to gear down with mechanical reverse, you need to change the reverse gear as well, to a 41. As mentioned your sled came with 25/40. I would get the 52/38X, over the 38X.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts