Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you can use header wrap on pipes to keep them hot? AAEN Performance says on their websight that it is better than ceramic coating. And it is a fraction of the cost of ceramic coating. Has anybody ever used it on their pipes before? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can wrap any pipe. All it does is insulate the pipe and keep the heat down. Just like a Cermic coating. I ordered my from Summit.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Doesnt it tend to trap moisture and make the pipes rust?? Thats what I always heard. How many feet does it normally take to do 1 pipe?? I gotta get just a little to do a few inches where the headpipe gets real close to the steering....kinda sucks having to buy a whole role for that!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Doesnt it tend to trap moisture and make the pipes rust??[/b]
YES THIS IS TRUE.....i wouldnt recomend it unless you dont mind replacing your pipe after it rusts out. this stuff holds moisture and keeps the pipe wet long after your done riding. keep in mind its made for car drag racing apps, where its dry not wet.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a Pro X 800 with an SPL Ceramic Pipe. I wraped it last year and it worked great. I would ride for hours and when I would pop the hood I could literally put my hand on the heat wrap, and it did quiet it down a bit, it also took the tin sound out of it. I never had a problem with it rusting it out. I did keep it on with 4 big muffler metal straps. I used a 50' roll on my single pipe and it took a few times to wrap it before I got it right.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wrapped the SLP pipe on my D7 S/B and it worked fine. My idea was to prevent the pipe from cracking as the SLP pipe on my ProXR did.

I also noticed, or at least I think I noticed, a slight power gain after wrapping.

·
Registered
47,344 Posts
Doesnt it tend to trap moisture and make the pipes rust?? Thats what I always heard. How many feet does it normally take to do 1 pipe?? I gotta get just a little to do a few inches where the headpipe gets real close to the steering....kinda sucks having to buy a whole role for that![/b]
Yup...pipe wrap will cause you to end up with an ugly rusty mess over time....but it does make for more consistent hp output.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Wrapping the pipes on a trail sled is pretty much useless.

Lets start here.

Factory pipes are very thick steel, they are wrapped for sound deadning mostlly. These pipes are tuned with that in mind, a assembly of cetain guage steel and insulation.

Now when you buy a aftermarket pipe they are tuned witout even being painted, bare metal.

Aftermarket pipes,
What happens when a pipe gets hot, Yes the quicker it gets up to its operating temp the faster it will be at peak operating temp.
Keep this in mind, a trail sled once you get going has a pretty hot pipe all the time, maybe a minute.
A overheated pipe will start to slow you down as it changes the tune of the pipe, it also puts more heat back in the engine, increasing the likelyness of detonation.

A heavy insulated pipe is good for drag racing, not trail riding.

That shiny stuff they put on a pipe is not ceramic, its a cheap sales add, aluminized coating, good for rustproofing.

Swain technology's does real ceramic coating, not the .001 shinny junk. I did this to a slp single, didn't go faster, actually had more problems on a longer run,,,, over heated pipe.

Coated and wrapped pipes look good on a dyno run, thats it, fast and done, thats why they work good on drag sleds.

Pipe builders reccomend not to wrap or coat ther pipes.

Don't worry about underhood temps, the airbox draws air from outside.

There may be some bennifit in wrapped or coated pipes in the mountains as they are in 10 feet of powder, flatlanders, put your money elsewhere.

Wrapping a slp pipe will make it fail quicker, it gets to darn hot. The only time you would feel a benifit is in a drag race, or on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
aaeen,

Old school, see many people using there products lately, or pipes that even make as much as a stock pipe?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
wraping and coatings have there place and function in specific applications..

in other words if you drag the sled or run 1000 - 2000 feet it will work,

wraps n coatings are not good for LOOOONG runs

ceramic pipe also take longer to build heat initially than non coated pipes but also have the tendency to build too much heat in the long runs.

So IMPO depending on you're application coatings / wraps can work but wont be noticeable anywhere

Coating are good to keep maintenance down, but be prep'd to clean n polish coated pipes.
Coating keep the undercowl looking SWEEEEEET!! But Looks do makem go.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
wraping and coatings have there place and function in specific applications..

in other words if you drag the sled or run 1000 - 2000 feet it will work,

wraps n coatings are not good for LOOOONG runs

ceramic pipe also take longer to build heat initially than non coated pipes but also have the tendency to build too much heat in the long runs.

So IMPO depending on you're application coatings / wraps can work but wont be noticeable anywhere

Coating are good to keep maintenance down, but be prep'd to clean n polish coated pipes.
Coating keep the undercowl looking SWEEEEEET!! But Looks do makem go.[/b]
Edit, coatings keep the heat from escaping, the added material or added structure to heat, is not as relavant as the heat that does not escape.

In otherwords, its like putting a blanky on at night. :cold:

Roger,
"ceramic pipe also take longer to build heat intailly than non coated pipes"????,

They build heat faster, thats why they come on quicker and would work in the drag world. If they built heat slower, they would work worse in the drag world.

You raedy for the season?

Al

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
i used high temp-1200 degree aluminum color ceramic paint and so far it looks great and seems to be holding up pretty well. i also have AAEN pipes and i do love'em. :i_need_snow:

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Edit, coatings keep the heat from escaping, the added material or added structure to heat, is not as relavant as the heat that does not escape.

In otherwords, its like putting a blanky on at night. :cold:

Roger,
"ceramic pipe also take longer to build heat intailly than non coated pipes"????,

They build heat faster, thats why they come on quicker and would work in the drag world. If they built heat slower, they would work worse in the drag world.

You raedy for the season?

Al[/b]
Al

Here is my anology kinda like lamb n tuna fish!

But when you get covered by that blanket initially it's cold and it started to build heat when you get in, then once you build that heat an need to take a leak you get out for a few minutes
then get back in some heat remained in the blanket, and will then build additional heat faster.

where I was goin with my statement is initial heat builds slower in a coated pipe until the pipe is complete and consistently heated, then heat will build quicker

so the pipe needs to be heated 1st to then build heat quicker in the pipe.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Al

Here is my anology kinda like lamb n tuna fish!

But when you get covered by that blanket initially it's cold and it started to build heat when you get in, then once you build that heat an need to take a leak you get out for a few minutes
then get back in some heat remained in the blanket, and will then build additional heat faster.

where I was goin with my statement is initial heat builds slower in a coated pipe until the pipe is complete and consistently heated, then heat will build quicker

so the pipe needs to be heated 1st to then build heat quicker in the pipe.[/b]

I'd still say a coated pipe builds heat faster, the covering doesn't let the heat escape, kkeeps it in the pipe right off the get go.

You even said that insulated pipes work better in a drag race, the reason for this is, the pipe heats up faster. Most drags are started with a cold pipe as they are sitting idling.

Think of the blanket thing this way, you get into bed freezing, put a hairdryer on under the balanket, or put the hairdyer on with no balnket on you. Which method would warm you up quicker?

I think your going the route that you have to heat the pipe and the insulation. more mass to heat. I say the heat that is trapped, that cannot escape is greater then the amount of heat needed to raise the pipe and insulation up.

If this is wrong, why would we insulate our homes?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.