Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the LOCAL dealer a little bit ago buying carbides for the work sled. (I drive another hour away for my stuff. :rolleyes: ) Anyways, they were doing the "go-through" on a guy's F7. They told him not to open it up until after the 100 mile mark "because the engines are so tight, and guys are melting them left and right." :wacko:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Instead of lying to him, they shoulda just remarked about the air pockets, and tell him that they took the time to clear it up, and to take it easy on it for a while. Most everyone doesn't break 75 mph within the first 50 miles, and I dont typically open it up until 100 miles.

They need to be HONEST to EARN the TRUST required to be in BUISNESS :blink: Sounds like a NEW CONCEPT to some of these guys.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i've had 7 new sleds and opened every one of up in the first ten miles!!
never had a problem, break it in like your gonna ride it!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Dec 20 2002, 12:34 PM
break it in like your gonna ride it!
That's what I've always done too...I guess I should know better than to listen to this guy...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Either you burp it or you dont. That is the ONLY PROBLEM. Give it a BEATIN' like a red-headed stepchild :wacko: It'll take it & LOVE IT

·
Registered
720 Posts
My dealer told me that for the first tank of gas, vary the throttle, don't go one speed and you can go WOT for short bursts. He said if you don't pin the throttle now and then the rings(?) will never seat.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would think the dealers would remain silent about the burndown problem. Afterall, they get a juicey repair job when an F7 comes back to have half the engine replaced. I beginning to think that good dealers are the exception and NOT the rule.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I, like soooo many others, break it in like I'm going to ride it.

I do give it a real good warm up period, like any other ride, but then touch 'er off.

I've never had any issues because of this.

With a good warm up time, I've not ever had a cold seizure, (yet).

·
Registered
629 Posts
250 miles, it has ran hard and wild since 4 miles. Always do 4 miles or so to see if there is anything loose or weird noise.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i ahve aan F5 and i dont belive i've had it over 75 never looked and it's only got 63 mi on but i will be opening it up the 26th were in the u.p. hopfully there is snow!!!!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King+Dec 20 2002, 12:48 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dave cat 7
@Dec 20 2002, 12:34 PM
break it in like your gonna ride it!
That's what I've always done too...I guess I should know better than to listen to this guy...[/b]
Wicked King,

Listen to Blacksaber7, knows what he talks of, he does...Seriously, if the dealer burped the sled correctly you probably could ride it like a bat out of hell right away, but Any respectable dealer will tell you to baby it through the first tank of Premix which should take you just over a 100 miles...then you can ride it like a raped ape. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you can resist putting 'er to the bars after 20 miles, more power to ya. I know i couldn't!! I had to see what kinda power she had, quite impressed and to think it should only get better.... :D

S

·
0 Posts
When I broke the F5 Sno pro in it was real tight it was hard to get 80mph. but after the first mixed tank "120miles" it was hard to keep it under 90!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The f-7 engine apparently has only 15 thou clearance piston to cylinder, a little more warm up is required with such close tolerances. What I am afraid of is if two many cowboys cold sieze this
engine and it costs A.C. to much money we will end up with a detuned engine next year. Remeber the zrt 600?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts