Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a night rider and drop after work/dinner and ride most of the night (I know people who do) and return to your truck in the morning be aware that The DEC is ticketing vehicles left in the lot overnight. Better to park on the road...

I have friends who have camps up on Smith and we have been using the lot for decades with no issues. I used to park there on Superbowl Sunday and not leave until March while I was at camp.
One friend received a ticket over the weekend while at their camp.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are a night rider and drop after work/dinner and ride most of the night (I know people who do) and return to your truck in the morning be aware that The DEC is ticketing vehicles left in the lot overnight. Better to park on the road...

I have friends who have camps up on Smith and we have been using the lot for decades with no issues. I used to park there on Superbowl Sunday and not leave until March while I was at camp.
One friend received a ticket over the weekend while at their camp.
What area is Smith Rd. in, Town, trail area?

Thanks, NYH1.

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,776 Posts
Rules fellas.

This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Any idea when we have to be out of the lot by? By dusk? 11:00 PM? I am curious as to what hour, the DEC turns on their environment saving ticket writing machine.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for letting us know.

Any idea when we have to be out of the lot by? By dusk? 11:00 PM? I am curious as to what hour, the DEC turns on their environment saving ticket writing machine.
Probably the dick (did I say that out loud?) goes by at the beginning of his shift and at the end of his shift if the same vehicle is there they get a ticket.
Most LEO shifts are usually 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 so I would think if you are there at 11PM and still there at 7AM that would be considered overnight.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Ya. I usually drop off there about 4pm. And load back up about 2-3am and haven’t got a ticket. So yes I’m assuming there at night there next morning. I guess. Who knows. Seems goofy to me anyway. No way would they say nobody after 11pm. The businesses up there would rightkftully throw a shit fit.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya. I usually drop off there about 4pm. And load back up about 2-3am and haven’t got a ticket. So yes I’m assuming there at night there next morning. I guess. Who knows. Seems goofy to me anyway. No way would they say nobody after 11pm. The businesses up there would rightkftully throw a shit fit.
The camp owners on Smith Road have been parking there for decades and never had a problem. The Town of West Turin plows the lot and there is an unwritten agreement between the camp owners and the town that everyone parks on one side of the lot and if it snows overnight you go down to the lot and move your rig to the opposite side that has been plowed so the town can plow the opposite side.
Worked for many years with no issues.
There was one time when a DEC Officer mentioned it to me while we were at the lot and I told him it was mostly property owners who park there still never had a problem in the 15 years we had the camp.
Someone is just trying to make a name for themselves or has a hard on for sleders.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Someone is just trying to make a name for themselves or has a hard on for sleders.
I bet it is Officer Napoleon.

2 years ago, I was leading a bunch of geezers, and we got a little disoriented near Redfield. Anyway the trail popped out on a snowmobile road (with at least a 6" base) that led to the reservoir, so we decided to take that to the reservoir and get our bearings, and head out from there. So about 6 of us headed down the road, towards the reservoir, at a leisurely pace. I was leading the pack cautiously down the road approved for snowmobile use, as I knew that a vehicle could pop out of a driveway, from behind a snowbank, at any moment. A couple of minutes later, a DEC Durango flies pass us, locks up his brakes, and parks at 90° blocking the entire road. Well then Officer Napolean comes storming out yelling at us.

So we all stop and I ask him "What is wrong, officer?" He first yells at me for riding down the road. Then I point out that both the snowmobile map and the sign on the road both specify that this road is legal for snowmobile use. He did not like that.

So then he says we were speeding. So I ask him, how fast were we going. He said he didn't know. And he did not like that.

So then he asks for all of paper work and he goes over it all with a fine tooth comb, and he can't find anything wrong. He did not like that.

We continued to all be very polite. He did not like that.

He kept marching up and down our group looking for something. Eventually, he realized that one in our group had his registration numbers on his tunnel .... end of the earth type of stuff. So he finally has a legitimate reason to write a ticket, which he did. And then he let us continue down the road that we were already on.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet it is Officer Napoleon.

2 years ago, I was leading a bunch of geezers, and we got a little disoriented near Redfield. Anyway the trail popped out on a snowmobile road (with at least a 6" base) that led to the reservoir, so we decided to take that to the reservoir and get our bearings, and head out from there. So about 6 of us headed down the road, towards the reservoir, at a leisurely pace. I was leading the pack cautiously down the road approved for snowmobile use, as I knew that a vehicle could pop out of a driveway, from behind a snowbank, at any moment. A couple of minutes later, a DEC Durango flies pass us, locks up his brakes, and parks at 90° blocking the entire road. Well then Officer Napolean comes storming out yelling at us.

So we all stop and I ask him "What is wrong, officer?" He first yells at me for riding down the road. Then I point out that both the snowmobile map and the sign on the road both specify that this road is legal for snowmobile use. He did not like that.

So then he says we were speeding. So I ask him, how fast were we going. He said he didn't know. And he did not like that.

So then he asks for all of paper work and he goes over it all with a fine tooth comb, and he can't find anything wrong. He did not like that.

We continued to all be very polite. He did not like that.

He kept marching up and down our group looking for something. Eventually, he realized that one in our group had his registration numbers on his tunnel .... end of the earth type of stuff. So he finally has a legitimate reason to write a ticket, which he did. And then he let us continue down the road that we were already on.
Yep sounds about right the guy I spoke to was Elmer Fudd incarnate... Napoleon full on...

·
Registered
722 Posts
same thing with nys troopers, they are trained this way now to harass people to purse any tickets they can, instead of out busting someone for drugs or major crimes they worry about petty stuff, most of these young cowboy troopers are simply afraid to deal with any of those issues anyways and would rather write you a ticket for a plate light or marker light out.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
my area went from no police at all to a police state. you can't move around here without passing numerous police cars, all different types. plus unmarked . and the focus seems to be anything that you can be stopped for. i went out to eat last weekend, about 30 miles from home, noticed my girlfriend's jetta had a low beam out. next thing i am at advance auto changing a bulb in the parking lot. pretty easy so i stayed clean. would not have made it home with that light out without being stopped. maybe more than once. not kidding.

·
Registered
722 Posts
my area went from no police at all to a police state. you can't move around here without passing numerous police cars, all different types. plus unmarked . and the focus seems to be anything that you can be stopped for. i went out to eat last weekend, about 30 miles from home, noticed my girlfriend's jetta had a low beam out. next thing i am at advance auto changing a bulb in the parking lot. pretty easy so i stayed clean. would not have made it home with that light out without being stopped. maybe more than once. not kidding.
New York, welcome to the police state!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
So speaking of DEC Officers on power trips:

Thursday morning we (my cousin, my uncle, my father, and myself) rode from OF to Brantingham, via the logging road. And after lunch at the Pine Tree, we headed back to OF via C8A through Confusion Flats. Of note, my father and uncle are in their 70's.

So along the trail, my uncle pulls up along side of me and says "I need to stop NOW". So we all pull to the side of the trail in a line of 4 sleds, as far as we can on the right side of the trail. I said to my uncle "What's wrong?" His response, "I really got to go pee." No problem. So all 4 off us, walk about 4 feet off of the trail and into the woods a little and take a leak with our backs to the trail. The next thing you know, a DEC officer pulls up and starts screaming at us for doing our business in public, in a full-on angry tirade.

I eventually am able to get in a word and politely inform him that 2 of the riders in our party our elderly and their bladder control is just not what if used to be. And then he finally calms down A LITTLE. What a jerk!!!

God forbid that we use taxpayer resources and have the DEC focus on loud sleds, drunks, poaching, environmental pollution, etc.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Weren't like within view of a road or a parking area or somebody's home/camp, something random like that were you? (Highly doubt it). I've never once questioned our ability to pee in the woods. Maybe step 5' off the trail next time? I stop 2-3x a day. Probably keep doing it.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Weren't like within view of a road or a parking area or somebody's home/camp, something random like that were you? (Highly doubt it). I've never once questioned our ability to pee in the woods. Maybe step 5' off the trail next time? I stop 2-3x a day. Probably keep doing it.
There was a camp on the other side of the "trail" with an unplowed driveway and no sled tracks. Our backs were to the camp.

He was on a Ski-Doo 1200 DEC sled. Others, in the Brantingham area, know of him and told me he is on a never-ending power trip.

I have several friends in law enforcement and have NEVER had any issues with the TOW Police or the local Sheriff's snowmobile patrols. I always ride sane speeds, show respect, register and insure everything, and only run the stock exhaust. I snowmobile all over the State, and that being said, I have had several issues with zealous or misinformed DEC Officers. I will say not ALL DEC Officers are bad, some are good at the their job and public relations.

In addition to my earlier post, about being reprimanded (not ticketed) for riding down a snow-covered road designated for snowmobile use, I have also been with someone who was mis-ticketed by a DEC Officer for their snowmobile registration number and insurance policy number being different (they are not supposed to match, they are 2 entirely different numbers). After taking time off of work to go to court, the charge was thrown out of court along with all other DEC citations that night. Apparently, the local judge was also frustrated with the DEC writing bogus tickets (probably to meet a Cuomo directed revenue-generating quota).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just wanted to post a positive experience with LEO on the trail. Got pulled over (LEO hiding behind tree with radar gun) for speeding. 65mph riding alone in Moose River Plains. State Forest Ranger. He asked “Do you know how fast you were going?” I said “No idea. Haven’t been able to see anything within three feet of my face since I turned 40”. He started laughing. Hard. He said “Me too. Slow down and ride safe”.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts