Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just had this random idea... my buddies 99 Chevy Silverado has HID headlights, I was looking at the bulbs in my brother-in-law's 2003 440 Sno Pro and noticed they were pretty close to the same looking bulb. I saw an ad on facebook for HIDs, went to their site, they had a "snowmobile" option, but when I clicked it, nothing came up... however I think snowmobiles may have the possibility to run HIDs? Does anyone know the bulb type/number? Should be something like 9006? maybe...

HID site I found...

Anyone able to help me out on this??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hids would be nice, id even settle for all 4 headlights to be on at once.[/b]
yeah, I'm sure that is probably a possibility too... maybe that's what I should do... I don't care to ride much at night, but sometimes you get out somewhere and you have to get back...

·
Registered
187 Posts
yeah, I'm sure that is probably a possibility too... maybe that's what I should do... I don't care to ride much at night, but sometimes you get out somewhere and you have to get back...[/b]
I love riding at night, but always have to have the high beams on. I've thought about replacing the stock bulbs with HID's too. Post up if it works and if you notice a difference at night.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Not sure about going HID.......I have themin my Silverado also and the ignitors for the HID need to have a certain amount of power to work properly and if they get low power, they will flicker and even shut off. I don't think that our sleds have the electrical systems can handle that.

Upgrading the bulbs to better bulbs is another option and you will notice a decent improvement. I have always bought bulbs from Bluhm Enterprises (http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure about going HID.......I have themin my Silverado also and the ignitors for the HID need to have a certain amount of power to work properly and if they get low power, they will flicker and even shut off. I don't think that our sleds have the electrical systems can handle that.

Upgrading the bulbs to better bulbs is another option and you will notice a decent improvement. I have always bought bulbs from Bluhm Enterprises (http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/).[/b]

In theroy yes its possible. However you would need to have a battery, the electrical system would need to be able to charge from the ac to the dc system. And the 9006 are single setting 9007 I think are the hi/low. You would need relays to switch between each bulb system assuming you want HID high and lows.

Not worth the trouble. I have Hids in my navigator and I love them. But I know the system and its a lot for a sleds electrical to handle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Upgrading the bulbs to better bulbs is another option and you will notice a decent improvement. I have always bought bulbs from Bluhm Enterprises (http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/).[/b]

In theroy yes its possible. However you would need to have a battery, the electrical system would need to be able to charge from the ac to the dc system. And the 9006 are single setting 9007 I think are the hi/low. You would need relays to switch between each bulb system assuming you want HID high and lows.

Not worth the trouble. I have Hids in my navigator and I love them. But I know the system and its a lot for a sleds electrical to handle.[/b]
Well... HIDs technically use less power than conventional lights, correct? Do the plugs match up? Cuz if they do, I might jack one of my buddy's headlights just to see if it works. The worst that could happen is it wouldn't work, or blow the safety fuse the lights have? Or at least I think there is a safety fuse...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well... HIDs technically use less power than conventional lights, correct? Do the plugs match up? Cuz if they do, I might jack one of my buddy's headlights just to see if it works. The worst that could happen is it wouldn't work, or blow the safety fuse the lights have? Or at least I think there is a safety fuse...[/b]

Yes HID ballasts use less energy. Usually about 3 to 4 amps per ballast.

As for the plugs. Depends which bulb he has in his truck and which one you have in your sled. It is worth a try.

If it is fused I would only put like a 10amp fuse in the holder.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is Halogen or Xenon brighter?[/b]

HID Xenon is brighter then Halogen. Also when you choose HID bulbs, color temp is important. To get the best results. The 6000k color temp is the closest to the light produced by a bright blue sky day. The 6000k bulbs are the brilliant white color.

If you go higher they produce the annoying color shifts like blueish and purple. The lower temps are more like 4500k or 4300k and they are yellowish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did run some PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my Skidoo last yr, They were quite a bit brighter, Any one try running these in there arctic cat yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Polaris Machines are now posted on the list with more to come, and yes they will work in most machines made in the last 15 years. They need a bit more current to fire up, but after that they use less power and provide an amazing about of light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only thing with Arctic Cat, is they often use a PG13j or P13j bulb which does not have a HID bulb replacement available for the two side lights, but in most cases the center bulb can be upgraded (on the one and three bulb configurations), still makes a huge difference. The models with 4 headlights(2003+) unfortunately do not have HID replacements available (yet)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only thing with Arctic Cat, is they often use a PG13j or P13j bulb which does not have a HID bulb replacement available for the two side lights, but in most cases the center bulb can be upgraded (on the one and three bulb configurations), still makes a huge difference. The models with 4 headlights(2003+) unfortunately do not have HID replacements available (yet)[/b]
Thanks for that input, I guess it can't really be a discussion when the guy selling them answers the questions!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well how much, whats included, Will it come with a wiring diagram for specfic sleds, yadda yadda???

Only thing with Arctic Cat, is they often use a PG13j or P13j bulb which does not have a HID bulb replacement available for the two side lights, but in most cases the center bulb can be upgraded (on the one and three bulb configurations), still makes a huge difference. The models with 4 headlights(2003+) unfortunately do not have HID replacements available (yet)[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well how much, whats included, Will it come with a wiring diagram for specfic sleds, yadda yadda???[/b]
Sorry for not having much info on sleds as we just started offering for snowmobiles recently. if you can check your bulb types and let us know the numbers on the base, I could tell you exactly what's available. I only have Arctic Cat part number, and that doesn't tell me if it's an automotive bulb or not. All the automotive style bulb's have an HID replacement. Arctic Cat is the only manufacturer that uses different types that I am aware of.

As far as wiring diagram, ours are for automotive application, but it is very simple to install. Just have to replace bulb with HID capsule, hook-up and mount ballast somewhere secure, and then plug into the sleds factory bulb harness. Very easy to do. Many ATV's around here have converted over last year and people are amazed at the difference.

Not trying to push our products here, just want to shed some light on this discussion. I would be happy to answer any technical questions related to HID as that is all we do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts