Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the infomation on how fast the F7 is vs F5. I find it odd that at all you get with 200cc and a 1000 dollars is 15 mph faster (at best) with a F7. Well I guess if these reported speeds are true, there are a lot of people spending mucho $$$ for just 5 to 10 Mph. I now there are a people talking [email protected]!T saying f5 do 110 and F7 do 120, I think the truth is the out of box the f5 is 95 to 100 MPH and the f7 is 100 to 110 MPH (perfect Conditions).

·
Registered
780 Posts
By Perfect conditions what do you mean? My definition is an icy straight road 1-2 miles or a flat lake with glare ice. In those conditons an F7 should see 115 mph no problem. If it doesn't it's sick. We were getting 104.6 out of an F7 in 1000' on radar on a flat road two weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Your probably about right,i havent opened my f5 yet,fastest was 85 until i ran out of room,have yet to be on any lakes,but my experience with zr500s i kinda have a clue.On the other hand,if i owned a f7 and all i got out of it was 100mph i think i would be pissed!!!!Theres no reason that sled shouldnt do 110-115 easy(speaking of this,in the 2003 arctic cat performance book,they talk about the front shock in the rear skid in detail-they say if its adjusted to stiff will effect top end by 5-8 mph,something about the track angle-interesting stuff!!!!NO B.S.!!!!)or i would be looking into something-scott

·
Registered
841 Posts
There is alot more to the F7 than the top end.........the F7 is way faster all around. The way I see it is its a bargain for the Xtra 1000 dollars to get an a$$ kickin sled like the 7.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
In "perfect" conditions the F7 can do 120 mph. Had mine up to 109 mph on rough ice with about 2" of snow the other day-3/4 mile run. The F5 is a good sled but I'm not a bit sorry I ponied up the extra cash for a F7. Hell my old ZL will do over 100mph-maybe I wasted $7500.00?

...Umm...NOT :lol:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by morrisond@Dec 26 2002, 05:38 PM
By Perfect conditions what do you mean? My definition is an icy straight road 1-2 miles or a flat lake with glare ice. In those conditons an F7 should see 115 mph no problem. If it doesn't it's sick. We were getting 104.6 out of an F7 in 1000' on radar on a flat road two weeks ago.
Perfect conditions...(For speed)? Hard Packed snow with very little track spin if any. I don't see Glaring ice as ideal conditions for speed but I could be wrong.

I totaly believe the 104.6 on a F7 just that f5 is around the same speed I don't see the advantage? unless theres something else i'm missing.

If I order the f5. I might look like a sissy with a f5 on the side of my sled. but i'll travel the same speed, get better milage and spend less money.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Freeze-I don't think anyone will call you a Sissy if you get an F5-you should get what fits you best. From what I've read the 5 and 7 get about the same mpg. The F7 also has EFI which is sweet. The price difference around here is like 800 bucks which if you think about it amounts to almost nothing. The F5's aren't selling good around here (upstate NY)-so maybe there will be some good deals on them soon. So far while riding I have seen about 8 F7's and I have yet to see an F5.

If you wait a little longer maybe you can get an F6. :huh:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
F6 EFI Firecat could be the perfect sled...

·
Registered
14 Posts
first of all you must mention are using snopro or standart f5 or f7.

I think that there is big difference between tracks and suspension and clutching.

My stock zr 500 cce runned about 90 mph and an I thought that f5 do same (with snopro package = higher lug = 35 mm = 1.35") Track realy eats top speed, but accelaretes etc. great.

F7 prehaps about 105 mph (stock), thus it got more 40 hp to track comparing to f5, I assumed that loss of power is equal (same or almost similar suspension, track etc. Springs etc?)

Now got 400 miles on my f5 snoproand happy, ,may be rebuilt shocks (not so good for ditch banning, also have take my sled first service and repair choke.

Happy driving...

·
Registered
593 Posts
YOUR COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES. THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE F5 AND THE F7. tHATS LIKE COMPARING A MUSTANGE WITH A SIX CYCLINDER TO ONE WITH A V8. I WOULD PAY 1000 DOLLARS FOR THE V8.

·
Registered
780 Posts
FreezorBurn - that was 104.6 in 1000'. Up here in Canada we consider that to be a short race. When the Ice gets good we will take the plow trucks out on the ice and plow a 5000' long 50' wide track and scrape them them right down to glare ice. We all use studs. The best conditions we see for top end are with temps just around freezing or late spring on the ice when the snow has repeatedly frozen and then thawed. I have no problem believing we will get 120mph + out of the Firecats this year on radar. We even got 111.4 mph out of a Yamaha Venture 700(although we did change the windshield to a low one). Top speed is very much dependent on conditions. We think the only valid estimate of a sled's top speed is conditions like I described above on radar for 3000'+. In those conditions i would be very surprised if you didn't get 105-110 out of an F5 (assuming 1" track).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again- the F5 is not a lake racer- thats not what it's supposed to be. It's a hardcore trail sled thats light and fast where it needs to be - corner to corner. Top end doesn't mean squat in real riding. These little 500's are hard to beat in the twistys because they are so light and quick.

Overall I'm very happy with my F5 and the money I saved I used to buy accessories.

Also there is that ugly first year F7 burndown blues thing-ouch! :eek:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, what he said ! Wait a minute, I have a F7 SP, damn I guess all that Goodwin personal tuning is going to waste. Lets all do a sno-dance for the midwest, GOD this sucks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
THE F7 AND F5 ARE BOTH HAVING THE ENGINE PROBLEM IT IS CAUSED BY THE COOLING SYSTEM NOT BEENING BLEED CORRECTLY, ITS NOT EVEN A BIG PROBLEM, ITS JUST A FEW PEOPLE HAVING THE PROBLEMS AND ARE MAKING ALOT OF NOISE..... BUT EITHER WAY THEY ARE BOTH AWESOME SLEDS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm starting to understand why so many guys end up in the trees or broke down. If ya like the F5 then buy the F5. If ya like the F7 then buy the F7, which I did. If ya wanted a lake racer then ZR900 should of been your choice, not an F-series. It all comes down to preference. I personally don't even race mine but it sure is nice to ride it. Gonna be some disappointed people this winter with all this hype. Ride smart, ride safe. Guys need to quit hyping these thing and just ride 'em. :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Did he say 166? Is that MPH or some other gauge of speed? :blink: Must just be a typo error :wacko:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts