Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.....i just replaced the head gaskets(because the coolant was blowing out the overflow hose....oviously the problem) and the base gasket(was dripping from tip, so i assumed that was the next problem) on my zr......but now the head is leaking on the middle 2 bolts........what can i do...im so frustrated with thi goddamn thing its not funny, and i can figure out what it is.....it ran fine for a while then it started leaking again and it was dripping off off the tip of the base gasket but i think it was the head leaking to whole time,but if theres to much torque or not enought torque......not distributed right, what the hell could be going on with this thing.....

if i dont get it figured out soon, you guys might get a pretty cool video of a 98 zr exploding pretty soon

·
Registered
472 Posts
You probably pinched the "O" Ring when you reinstalled the head.Be careful and make sure it is well seated in the groove before you torque everything back on.
Before you start installing the head bolts by hand,move the head around a little in a circular motion and check that there are no gaps all around and that the head is
sitting square on the cylinder.
Take your time and be patient,you have to be careful if you've never done it before...

Good luck !

·
Registered
223 Posts
If all I had for problems was gaskets so far I would be laughing.... did you use a torque wrench when putting it back together? It is more important that the bolts are tightened equally than it is to the recommended torque specs. did you clean the surfaces on the head and cylinders VERY well when putting it back together? did you use any adhesive with the gaskets or just the gaskets themselves? you may have also pinched the gasket you put it back together as well

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just used the o-rings, and ive done more than one of these i just am having alot of trouble with this sled this year.......but its ONLY leaking around the inside and the two front most bolts........like the center two and then the next 2 to the front....but its on both sides........could something be wrong with the head/cylinders?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure you install the exaust manifold finger tight before you torque the cylinders and heads in order to line everything up.I had a cracked cylinder on a used 98 ZR600
i purchased for my son a few years back.That was due to the previous owner installing the cylinders on first and the the manifold.Had to pry it off to remove it...
I replaced two base gaskets and two sets of "O" rings before i figured out where it was leaking from.
Anyhow,you are supposed to torque everything in three steps supposing you have the right torque figures,with new "O"rings there shouldn't be any leaks if your heads are seated properly on the cylinders.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well....i never took the manifolds off........soo, does that still make a difference?????

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
if its leaking around the head bolts then you have to buy new o-rings for them bolts, the head gaskets do nothing to stop that, the head bolts are in water all the time thats why they have o-rings on them

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are not leaking from the head bolts......they are leaking from between the head, and th jugs, near the vicinity of the inner bolt and the next forward bolt on both sides

·
Registered
204 Posts
When you installed the new gaskets did you remove all the remaining pieces of the old gaskets? I had a friend who put a new gasket set on his motor while replacing other things and it was leaking pretty good when he fired it up. After all the kind words and blaming it on a junk used jug we bought from a parts place, we tore it back down to find out he had left some old gasket material on a mating surface. Cleaned it off as we couldn't find anything else wrong and worked great after that.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no theres isnt anything left in the mating surfaces

im gonna try it again tonight and see if i can get it to stop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts