Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What a difference a year makes. Last year for the weenie roast the trails were phenomenal. The temps were cold. In fact one of the women in our group got frost bite on the way back. This year? Not so much.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
There are 100's of sleds out again today, everywhere we went we saw many, must be 30 at Louie's right now..

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s great to hear. Wish I could be up there. It’s a good thing they keep the fire lanes plowed! Lots of forest fires in winter. It would be great to have rideable trails for next weekend. Doubtful.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
That’s great to hear. Wish I could be up there. It’s a good thing they keep the fire lanes plowed! Lots of forest fires in winter. It would be great to have rideable trails for next weekend. Doubtful.
The Fire Lanes are plowed because of priority useage, Loggers get Priorities as that's where the Federal Forest make their money from, even trails in the Forest have been plowed to the dirt some years for that reason. Trail 5 is 1 example a few years back

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok... but very few of the fire roads have logging operation’s going on. Most of the fire lanes I ride on have not had logging operations going on in many years.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
Ok... but very few of the fire roads have logging operation’s going on. Most of the fire lanes I ride on have not had logging operations going on in many years.
I live in Round Lake Township, our plow trucks receive orders from the Fed when and which FR's to plow, not sure but I've heard they want the snow off some FR's so the Forest roads dry out faster in the Spring for the Heavy Unit Forest Fire equipment if it comes to that..I have been on some of those Fires when worked in Fire Control for the DNR and our own Fire Department for 15 years.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,434 Posts
165 today after 11:30 because of a stop at Hayward Power Sports and everything we rode had been groomed in the last few days - and everything except parking lots and gas stations and one short (1/4 mile) road run was very good!! If it continues to freeze at night like it’s forecasted to, there’s a lot of snow in the woods yet, and the trail base seems pretty good.

I’m glad I won’t be up here next weekend, hard to predict what it might look like. But I suspect a lot of areas will be rideable.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts