Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here to put my mind at rest.... this has been bugging me for some time now, so I'm hoping someone can help answer this for me.

When I removed my secondary clutch for a number of different reasons, there are several washers(if memory serves me correctly there were 4 or 5 of them that appeared to be the same) that go on the mounting bolt. My question is: do these washers go in front of or behind the collar(#17 in the below picture)?

Thanks much!
-John

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'll be taking mine off sometime before I go riding Thursday to check the oil line, If you don't have an answer by then I'll try to watch for it.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
They go into the clutch on either side, as long as the large washer pushes the o-ring into place and holds it there. They just are there so you don't crush the o-rings. Just hold tension on them.When adding or removing shims inside the cluch or on the backside of the jackshaft, it is possible that you may need to add or rmove those little washers to correct the side pressure.

R

·
0 Posts
I like to keep then closer to the bolts head, that way they don't fall off inside the clutches shaft when you take it off. I think that is how they come from the factory.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After thinking about it, since the washers that I am talking about are 5/16"(same outside diameter of #17 collar, they would/could not affect the alignment of the clutch. In order to act as a shim for the secondary clutch, they would have to be a 1" washer with a much larger inside diameter..... Is that thought correct/make sence?
-John

F7 secondary/driven shaft parts breakdown

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,

Thanks for the replies and the information.

So, in answer to my situation, when I re-installed the secondary with all of the washers(4 or 5.. I can't remember) on the outside of the collar/spacer & I didn't change anything from the factory/dealer set-up(as far as alignment shims etc...), it should be just fine, correct?

What I take from this is: There really is no wrong place to put the smaller 5/16" washers, but adding and taking out the 5/16" washers could be neccesary if a person is adjusting with shims for alignment.... Sound correct?? ;)
-John

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just to be safe I would leave them on the outside of the collar(closest to outside of machine). Also shims not for alignment, shims are for belt deflection. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are the clutch alignment washers that are on the jackshaft, a different amount on each sled depending on alignment. Then there are the washers you are describing, There are different number of washers per sled also as these adjust how much "play" your clutch has on the jackshaft. The number of these washers will vary depending on the number of alignment washers on the jackshaft. Do not match this to another sled, they vary by sleds.

(It's a good thing I dont write the manuals)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sally Danger,

The big question is since you seem to understand wich washers I am referring to..... Do the washers I'm describing go where I am thinking(on the outside of the spacer/collar, closest to the mounting bolt head)?? Thanks.
-John

·
Registered
416 Posts
When I took my secondary off it had 3 washers in side shaft against collar and the remaining on the outside.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It makes no difference whatsoever as to which side of the aluminum spacer you put the 5/16" washers on. It is simply more convenient to put them next to the large washer under the head of the bolt, then put the spacer on next. As has been suggested, this keeps them from falling off into the secondary clutch hub bore when you remove the bolt.

As Sally Danger stated, don't compare the number of washers on your sled to anyone else's. There may be the same number, and there may not be. It will depend on how many shims were necessary to correctly set the clutch offset. For that matter, don't trust that AC set the clutches correctly from the factory. If you trust your dealer to do the job correctly, then fine. I hope they do. I personally check mine myself and set them right to the gnat's ass.

By the way, I didn't get into parallelism (which should be checked and set properly first) or belt deflection. All should be properly set to have a machine that's going to perform as well as possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts